Do not post here, duplicate thread

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Please feel free to write any cooking or hints that may help support us through this crisis.
Frugal recipe ideas and the like.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just realised that someone has already started something like this in Kitchen Chatter. Please post there.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for doing this. It's a great idea!

We've been eating out of our freezer. With all 7 of us home now, we are going through food quicker. I've been trying to stretch out the food more than ever since we never know what we'll find at the grocery store. The inexpensive cuts of meat has been scare.

Quinoa, Beans, Barley, Split Peas, and Lentils
We have been making a lot of meatless meals since last week. We've been using quinoa, beans, barley, split peas, and lentils as a base for our meatless meals. They have a decent amount of protein. I've been buying them in the bags. They are cheaper that way. I cooked up two pounds of black eyed peas and two pounds of white beans in the Instant Pot today. Then I froze most of it. I saved some white beans for tonight's dinner - minestrone soup.

Peanut Butter, Pumpkin Seeds and Sunflower Seeds
These are other sources of protein that we are using. We have nut allergies so we pass on them.

Greek Yogurt and Plain Low Fat Yogurt
This is another form of protein that we are using. We mix them together. We buy the store brand in the tub verses the individual containers. It makes it cheaper that way.

Butter
I'm trying to save the butter for baking or putting on bread. We have some in our freezer but it is hard to find at the store now. I use olive oil whenever I can. I have asked everyone to use half shortening and half butter for baking in the near future.

Milk
Milk is another hit or miss item at the grocery store now. We use dried milk as an alternative for cooking and baking. We save the regular milk for drinking.

I've decided that we are really going to focus on buying foods that will support our immune system. If we want any sweets, then we will make them.

I have a cookbook from a woman who went through the Great Depression. I've always been fascinated with frugal cooking. I will look at the book again this week and see if anything stands out to me.