Do you have Plan A, Plan B, maybe Plan C?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Is it clear how you are celebrating Thanksgiving? Or do you have back-up plans?

This year --- I have the back-up plans. Plan A: Dh and I will go to look at a beautiful new hotel/convention center which has opened in another town, a distance from our area. The decorations (inside and out) for Christmas are supposed to be spectacular -- and they will be in place well before Thanksgiving Day. We will saunter about the buildings and grounds, enjoying everything. If one of the restaurants looks tempting - we will eat there. If not -- we will choose another place.

Plan B -- someone in our family will develop H1N1 -- or someone at one of their destinations will have caught it. In which case, our family member(s) will not go out of town for Thanksgiving. If they wish to come to our house, we will present a delicious but restrained Thanksgiving dinner. (Just in case -- I will have veggie turkey rolls (all relatives are vegetarians) - which cook from frozen in an hour. I will have gravys, frozen peas, frozen biscuits, potatoes to cook and mash, cranberries (fresh and canned), stuffing, etc. in the pantry. I will pick up sliced, cooked turkey (for the non-vegetarian in-laws) and pies and whatever else - at one of the nearby stores - all of which are open part or all of Thanksgiving day.

I have already had Swine Flu (in September). Being born long before 1957, I was supposed to be in the "get a mild case" category. And that is exactly what happened -- I got a mild case. Dh - who was with me constantly, sleeping in the same bed, etc. -- did not catch it from me. So -- we think we are both pretty well immune now. It seems prudent for us to avoid people who are sick. But - I would not feel the need to avoid close family members if they were sick.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow -- Plan B. Didn't even think of this. Hmm. It is usually just us at Thanksgiving. But should something like HIN1 hit at Christmas -- that would be bad. My main mission so far is to get all the presents into the house by the second week of December since last year we got snowed in FOREVER!! But the flu? Have to ponder this one.

DH and I both had the flu over Thanksgiving about 10 years ago (and now never miss a flu shot). We were both on our deathbed, unable to move, with no one to help us all that week (this was pre-kids). A neighbor showed up with leftovers the day after Thanksgiving but I remembered I cried and cried on Thanksgiving Day. Terrible. Best not get it.

This being said, I guess we should all take note of who is sick in our community over Thanksgiving and Christmas to make sure they get a little love and help if they are sick and in need.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am also very impressed at your backup plan! That is very considerate of you to make those arrangements just in case!!! I think you have everything covered!!!

I have had that thought in the back of my mind for a week or so now - what if???

The H1N1 flu could potentially gum up the works for either Thanksgiving or Christmas this year I suppose - it is more of an issue for DH and I because of the pregnancy. I can't risk being around anyone that for sure has H1N1 - my vaccine only gives me a 50% chance of protection.

{sigh} and even if I was tempted to tempt fate, DH wouldn't allow it. He is super protective...

I guess I should have a backup plan for having a holiday meal of our own at home in case everyone else is sick...things in the freezer that will get used eventually regardless...

Thank you for this post! Very timely!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Wow! Great thinking with the backup plan! We usually eat Thanksgiving dinner out with my in-laws at a local country club so as long as we are well enough to get there, we shouldn't have an issue with it being cancelled. Both girls have already had H1N1 so I'm hoping we're safe for the holidays.

If anything did come up where we couldn't go with my in-laws, I guess we would just go to my parents. They usually host a large dinner at their home and are creative with last minute additions to the guest list.

H1N1 is making everyone consider these things this year but, I suupose, we should always have a backup anyway. You never know what life might throw our way! ;)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Great question. We don't have a backup plan...we host one event (this year on the Saturday before the holiday) and go to my mom's on Thanksgiving Day. My home is not big enough for the Tday crowd-upwards of 40. We have around 25 on Saturday..and that's a full house. Hmm...better give this some thought just in case!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Is it clear how you are celebrating Thanksgiving? Or do you have back-up plans?

Plan B -- I will have veggie turkey rolls (all relatives are vegetarians) - which cook from frozen in an hour.

I would like to know what this is as my DD is Vegan. Thanks!

I hadn't thought of Plan B, either. We usually have my niece with us as my sis works (she's a nurse). But that's it. Nothing too fancy. For sure don't want the flu or the shot for it. But will check on friends and neighbors ... nice idea Cindylouwho!!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Jampss -- the vegetarian (and vegan) turkey roll is by "Quorn". (That is the manufacturer.) They also make vegan hamburger, chicken breast, steak strips - all kinds of things. High protein and delicious!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks! I'll look up that name! (I thought you hand made this yummy! )

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We do not have a plan B or C. We are staying home and cooking and have invited a few family members over for dinner. Regardless if they come over or not we will still have planty of food and fun that day.