Does anyone have experience dying fabric?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't know how I did it, but I just noticed my favourite knit sweater (cream-coloured) has a bright orange stain on the back. I have worn it for years, but there is not a pull or a loose stitch anywhere. I love the sweater and it seems a shame to get rid of it, but I can't exactly wear it with the giant stain either (other than around the house.)

It is 100% cotton. Does anyone known whether or not it would dye well? If anyone has experience in this I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks

:bigsnow:

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
if it´s 100% cotton...there will be no problems dying it.. it will absorb all the coulours without a trace...I often did it myself with white T-shirts..some fruit stains (peach ..blueberry..) won´t go out.. so I dyed it black..no problem...one tip..when you dye it in the washing machine.. add a bit of vinegar ( 1 spoonful) and you will get brighter colours... and to be sure..after dying it in the machine wash darker clothes the next time.. I always did.. I was afraid of my white clothes... and I have to admit it worked very well....

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try to find some dye this weekend to fix it up.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, the instructions on the dye said I had to run my washer with bleach in it afterwards, and I didn't have bleach (and its a long way to get it) so I did it in a pot of simmering water on the stove.

I am thrilled with the results! I can't find any evidence of the stain. To think of all the clothes I've thrown away over the years that could have been saved with a little dye!

I dyed it a royal blue and was surprised how strong the colour was. After it dyed for an hour I rinsed it as best as I could, then put it through 2 cycles in the washer with detergent. It was still nice and bright when it came out.

Now I'm trying to think of all the random things in my house I could dye....facecloths with bleach spots...old stained tablecloths.

Maybe I could dye a bunch of rags and old sheets and mag a nice rag rug that's one colour? Ooh...so many new crafty possibilities.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Hey, the rug sounds cool! We are going to be doing out breezeway into a family room I think finally!!!!!!!!!!! Only been waiting for 15 yrs. or so. Anyway, I want yellow and a light blue and the colors aren't as easy to come by as they once were. Could dye the rags and crochet or braid a rug. HMMMMMMM....................

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lana said:
Hey, the rug sounds cool! We are going to be doing out breezeway into a family room I think finally!!!!!!!!!!! Only been waiting for 15 yrs. or so. Anyway, I want yellow and a light blue and the colors aren't as easy to come by as they once were. Could dye the rays and crochet or braid a rug. HMMMMMMM....................

Here's a pattern for knitting a rug too. I've been debating whether to make this or do a rag rug in the colours I want for my foyer. http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2233

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The denim blue is the color with light yellow! I cannot knit. Grandma use to cut bread wrappers and also rags and she would crochet the bags single crochet and then just keep going oblong and around and around.l I still have a couple and use them and that is 28 yrs. old. The one is in a remote area so never gets any wear and tear. I have several of the rag ones and they wear so well. TFS!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lana said:
The denim blue is the color with light yellow! I cannot knit. Grandma use to cut bread wrappers and also rags and she would crochet the bags single crochet and then just keep going oblong and around and around.l I still have a couple and use them and that is 28 yrs. old. The one is in a remote area so never gets any wear and tear. I have several of the rag ones and they wear so well. TFS!

..And I cannot crochet! lol. I came across something online last night about weaving grocery bags together to make a mat. I wasn't sure how well they would wear though.