Don't feel like decorating outside.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Belles

Retire Member
Do you ever feel like you don't have the energy to get the outside decorations up?!! I really don't want to decorate outside this year, and the worst part is I don't even put that much out! Just wreaths, window sills, and flood lights, keep it very simple. Someone needs to give words of motivation (it might help). Anyone else keeping it simple outside?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I am. I am considering only doing wreaths on all the front windows and on the front door. I am going for simple elegance this year, inside and out. My outside lights and garlands will need to be replaced-they fell apart last year- and I really don't have the energy/time/money to get more this year. So..simple elegance! LOL! I do have a garbage bag full of faux ivy garlands that I used for my nephew's wedding that i might incorporate...we'll see how the weekend's decorating goes!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I'm not a ladder fan, so I only do the railings and floodlights, candles in the windows and two wreaths. I must confess that I would like to have a couple of window boxes on my porch and decorate them too, but I don't need them this year. I say do what makes you happy!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am also not too excited about outside decor this year! The thought of having to take it all down again in January, right before the baby comes, does DOES thrill me.

I am thinking that the lighted wreaths on both doors, plus being able to see the Dining Room tree centered in the front window is going to have to be enough this year!

:)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Simple is fine, but will you miss the decor not being there when you come home on a cold night? Are you just needing the "umph" to go get it done? I'm finding I myself am needing a lot of Umph to just pull off Thanksgiving after being sick for going on Day 10 (so I can relate.). Really I want all the festivity there, I just don't want to be the one to do it all. Wish I could just wiggle my nose and have it be done!

So if you are looking for UMPH, then plan a big pot of coffee for Saturday morning, promising yourself a lazy Christmas-movie filled afternoon in front of the fire after you've dragged out those boxes and decorated the outside! (Does that sound motivating? It's almost working on my side! LOL!)

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
My outdoor decor consists of a handmade wreath on the front door and 2 lit and animated reindeer. Since my husband's back surgery last year, everything else is out of the question. One of my 3 neighbors already have their lights up, and it's minimal.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH only puts out lights in the 2 small trees outiside and that's ok with me.

cindylouwho - I love your suggestion!

Belles

Retire Member
Cindylouwho ~ you are a jewel, just the inspiration and umph I needed to get me motivated! YES it would bother me to come home there be no lights to welcome me home. The I remembered one of favorite songs "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" and the "prettiest sight you'll see is the holly that will be on your own front door". Yes there will be Holly on our front door (well actually Santa will be on the front door) and holly on the window sills. Thank you so much for blesssing my heart tonight.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Well, when you put it that way...I am going to use my iron candlesticks in the flowerbeds for a soft glow, and I might add some lights to the porch rails. Thanks for the kick in the seat!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I do simple, classic outside decor.....evergreen and bows on the sills, white candle lights in the windows, wreathes on the doors and gates, two potted evergreens at the front door and a sled at the back door. Fortunately, dh does the lights. We leave the lights on the peeks of the house year round because it is too difficult to pull out the 40 foot ladder year after year. He'll add icicle lights to the sides (probably during an ice storm lol because he puts it off!) of the house sometime this weekend.

It's a lot of work, but so worth coming home to and everyone comments how nice it looks when they drive by....so make someone else smile Belles.