Easter 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hey, I'm sort of at a loss for getting started thinking about Easter. Anyone more inspired? The kids are DD21 and DS10. Ok, DD not a kid ... but will hide eggs for brother. Hides them too good, too! LOL

We hide plastic ones filled with "healthier" candy or little GF cookies/crackers. I also dye eggs ... the egg, not the shell. Yep! Weird, I know. But that is what my mother did, so ... I continue. Looks really pretty when you halve them for deviled eggs.

I need a more inspired meal plan. Last couple of years ... it was lacking!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the idea of just dying the eggs without the shell.

We do not do much for Easter except eat so my plans are not much.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have bought for the children a share pack of mini mars bars and snickers bars. They were on special at the grocery store. We don't eat traditional Easter eggs, but I do buy chocolate bars. I usually buy the kids a DVD or if they need it, new pyjamas.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I hosted last year and we had:

* ham
* deviled eggs
* scalloped cheesy potatos
* pasta salad

It was nice. I want to do it again this year. I'm on Communion duty for Easter Sunday so not sure how that will affect things. Last year I went to the community sunrise service and went home after that. This year, I'll have to be at the church....

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
sometimes its just the 5 of us and others its w/ my parents. I have a hard time doing traditional food b/c no everyone likes what i want (ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, green beans) Not sure what we will fix. As for the baskets it usually is candy, tooth brush, maybe something useful. The boys are 9,12,14

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ah! I like the ham/cheesy tater idea and the toothbrushes!! Thanks!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
we like ham,mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes,cranberry sauce,homemade rolls,vegetables corn an beans,pickles,applesauce,we have cakes,cookies,cheese an crackers around.We hide eggs as well and we make most of our candies so all is enjoyed,we have apples and nuts around as well.:)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yum

we like ham,mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes,cranberry sauce,homemade rolls,vegetables corn an beans,pickles,applesauce,we have cakes,cookies,cheese an crackers around.We hide eggs as well and we make most of our candies so all is enjoyed,we have apples and nuts around as well.:)
Oh, it all sounds lovely! You make candies? Neat.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We keep Easter dinner simple as it is just us. Some nice steaks on the grill, homemade mac and cheese and veggies. Still working on ideas for dessert.

Our kids are ages 7 & 12. The youngest one still believes but the older one knows.

DH and the kids will dye Easter eggs ... hide some plastic eggs (one theme for DS and one theme for DD) filled with mini reese pb eggs. For their baskets they do not get a lot of candy for Easter so they will get a few small pieces of chocolate. Each will get a book, a movie and small toy or craft kit in their basket.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Dessert

We keep Easter dinner simple as it is just us. Some nice steaks on the grill, homemade mac and cheese and veggies. Still working on ideas for dessert.
Yes, me too. Never have had "that" special Easter dessert like I do for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would love a coconut cake ... but DH doesn't like coconut. sniff ...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Yes, me too. Never have had "that" special Easter dessert like I do for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would love a coconut cake ... but DH doesn't like coconut. sniff ...

Why not make the coconut not cake and share it with neighbors or friends or freeze pieces to enjoy later. You can also make them in cupcake form.

I started making cakes from scratch that way I can cut the recipe in half if I didn't want to make as much.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks!

Why not make the coconut not cake and share it with neighbors or friends or freeze pieces to enjoy later. You can also make them in cupcake form.

I started making cakes from scratch that way I can cut the recipe in half if I didn't want to make as much.
Ah! Nice idea!! :) Thanks!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm not sure what to do for Easter. I am not sure I want to make Easter a present holiday for the girls. DD2 will only be a little over one, so she'll just get a few hollow chocolates probably and maybe a little stuffed toy or something. For DD1 I will probably give her a polly pocket toy and some eggs and a bunny. I also picked up a toy hedge trimmer and goggles last year, so might leave those out too. I have some barbies that I'm not sure if I should give her for Easter or for Christmas.
We do a turkey dinner. I don't have a traditional desert either, but I'd love to have one. I guess making hot cross buns would be a tradition.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't do anything but hide plastic eggs. I don't think we even dyed eggs last year because they never get eaten. I tend to make the kid's baskets and just get stuff that I know they'll like and some candy. This year we are having a Battalion Easter Egg Hunt with a ton of activities, to include pony rides, and there will be a big egg hunt for that too and a meal.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm excited!!!!!!

I was scheduled to be on communion prep team for Easter Sunday so I figured that was it- I wouldn't host this year.

But just found out that they cancelled communion for Easter Sunday!

So, looks like I will be hosting again!!!!

Need to get my menu from last year out because that was a big hit!

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yum

I hosted last year and we had:

* ham
* deviled eggs
* scalloped cheesy potatos
* pasta salad

It was nice. I want to do it again this year. I'm on Communion duty for Easter Sunday so not sure how that will affect things. Last year I went to the community sunrise service and went home after that. This year, I'll have to be at the church....

Annie
I'm liking this!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have had it the last few years and I am this year too. Normally have about 18-21 but this year will be either 6 or 11. I might ask Jaymees inlaws not sure.

I think I am going simple and going to do those Best darn ham sandwiches, potatoes, green bean casserole, the deviled eggs where the whites are dyed (did those last year and were so pretty), then maybe a carrot cake and some other type of dessert.

We normally hide over 100 eggs but will just have a 2 1/2 yr possibly and Teigan so....

Menu might change if my sister comes. Not really. Will tell her to do potato salad and I will still do some type for the couple (my son and daughter) who don't do potato salad.

Will see about menu for sure when I know who is coming.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
May bow out

Today I was thinking I would not do an Easter dinner thing. Of course by Easter I might decide differently. If I do a dinner I want to get a Honey Baked Ham. If not I will just buy a slice of Cooks ham. Both are gluten free.