Easter 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Since I will be at church till noon or later, I am hoping to have dinner at noon. I plan on a ham, which I can put in on low heat while at church. I think I will do baked potatoes in the crockpot, corn, rolls of some kind. I used to do a chocolate layer cake with green frosting, green colored sugar on top to resemble the grass, and some jelly beans. It looks like a basket. My kids are all grown so won't do for them. and if I have the money, will give dgc a little money! Also, I usually make peanut butter eggs for everyone. If I do that, I will freeze the ones for Steve and family.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't know if it just me but Easter seems like a long time coming this year. I will do some decorating tomorrow and I have bought Easter presents for my family. Will need to package up the gifts this weekend. DH tried baking hot cross buns and they were really good, but I prefer shop bought buns. Need to buy fish for good friday supper, so will add that to the shopping list.
A few things to do yet.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Doesn't seem like many people are into Easter this year. lol

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm trying to get in gear for Easter and I feel like things are starting to come together finally!

Coordinated between local immediate family and family that lives in nearby town for us all to go down there for Easter dinner this year. We've often done this in the past but have missed the last couple of years due to misc. reasons.

Menu is all planned - I need to follow up with MIL and SIL here in town to make sure they are both all set.

I do need to decide what dessert I am making - which will be fun :)

It also falls to me to plan the egg hunt in the yard this year - so I've been slowly making progress on that. Bought a pack of 42 plastic eggs and some stickers, little bouncy balls, etc. and plan to get a bag of candy - maybe jelly beans? - to fill the eggs.

Of course I'm now thinking I need to buy more - there will be two kids hunting - my 4 yr old and one of his cousins that is right on that verge of not "believing" any more.

Do you guys think 42 eggs is enough for two kids?

Let's see...what else...Easter Baskets!!!

Instead of doing a basket for disabled little BIL this year we opted to buy him a new DVD instead. I have it - just need to wrap it.

For DS I have his Easter bucket from last year for collecting eggs on the hunt - bought new "grass"

For his Easter basket "gift" I'm going to give him the Pirate treasure chest gift I had intended to have done and give him this past Christmas.

I had gotten a chest like decorative box at Micheals on sale and have all sorts of fun things gathered/made to fill it. Just need to put it all together.

The last thing on my wish list - kind of random - is to make a little bunny mask of felt for DS and then get some bunny ears from the store too. I think it would make a cute picture -but we will see if I have time. I bought the elastic - just need to cut and sew the mask!!!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
AuntJamelle-I think 42 eggs for 2 kids is plenty.

I am finally thinking about my Easter menu. I think we will have both kids over for dinner. Much different then the 18 people I had last year!

I am planning a simpler menu, but with the favorites.

Ham
deviled eggs
green bean casserole (I forgot about that but read Lana is doing that and it reminded me, lol)
baked beans
potatoes of some kind, potato salad or scalloped
Rolls or rye bread

Maybe I'll do some sausage & peppers too. I don't think I want to do a pan of lasagna and I can do the sausage ahead of time and throw it in the crockpot. I like to have an Italian dish on the menu too.

Dessert, I'm thinking I might make cream puffs. Maybe a bunny cake too.

I also need to get a few Easter goodies too. Already got my son his Reese's peanut butter eggs.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I do not have fancy plans for Easter this year. I think we are going shooting with friends (and maybe have them over for a quick breakfast before hand). Not your typical Easter activity but this is what hubby wants to do this year.

Kiddo and I might dye some eggs and I want to make a bunny cake. My pre-teen boy is getting less and less interested in Easter fun.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
All of our little ones (9 grands between my sister and me), except the youngest are big enough to hunt Easter eggs this year and really enjoy it. I think we'll have an egg hunt after lunch at my mom's house. The weather didn't cooperate last year.

We'll have sunrise service at church and then regular services, too, at the normal time. It makes it hard to get it all ready by noon, so lunch may be a little later. My mom and I talked about the menu, and we're cutting back on the variety this year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks, Sugarplum! DH tells me 42 is plenty as well - lol

Still haven't filled them yet - although I had intended to get that done and out of the way this weekend. Will do one night this week after DS goes to sleep.

I also still haven't decided on what dessert I am making for Easter. I usually make a cheesecake - but this year DH requested one for his birthday which we will be celebrating the weekend after Easter.

I didn't really want to make 2 cheesecakes in a row - so I've been toying with the idea of a pineapple upside down cake or something like that.

I'll have to go through storage unit and locate one of my cake domes regardless and could kick myself for not thinking of that the last time I went through hunting for kitchen items!!! It is hard to work in that little apartment kitchen and even harder when I realize mid-recipe that a tool I need is either one lost in fire or still in storage - just UGH.

My goal is to decide on recipe today and make list of grocery items needed for this weekend!

I haven't given a thought to planning outfit for DS either - not sure what the weather will be like yet - etc. I'd like him in something cute for the egg hunt/pictures - but I'm sure I can find something from what he already has. But I might need to iron it :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Those look yummy, Ahorsesoul!!! Pinned those for later for sure! :)

I actually decided to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake for Easter. I have all the ingredients already so it makes more sense for my budget! I'm going to try making it in my Angel Food Cake pan this time...I've seen other blogs, etc. where people have done it so I think I'll give it a go - should be a very pretty presentation!

DH and I got the Easter eggs filled last night so those are ready to go now too!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
AuntJamelle-I was very tempted to do a pineapple cake this year. I saw the boxed mix and it looks so yummy! I might have to make one in the near future. I think I have copied the individual pineapple cakes recipe that teachermom makes which would be fun too.

I am making creme puffs with a french vanilla pudding mix that I mix with heavy cream that makes a thick, almost like mousse filling instead of plain loose pudding, with melted chocolate swirled on top. I have a chocolate cake mix to do a bunny cake (makes 2), one with white frosting and coconut and one with plain chocolate frosting. I'm all about chocolate this year, lol.

I bought a small ham, decided on baked ziti for a red sauce dish, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, baked beans, deviled eggs and rolls or bread, which I will pick up tomorrow at the grocery bakery.