Easter 2016...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We are a month out, folks! Sunday, March 27th will be here before we know it!!!

What are your plans for Easter this year? Food? Easter Baskets? Egg Hunts? Crafts with the kids? Crafts for you?

I spotted some really cute Easter basket items at Toys R Us today - priced a bit more than I want to spend but I'll probably end up getting at least a couple things!

I pulled out the Easter tote yesterday and went through it - I lost all my decor in the fire so I need to add craft projects to my list! Most likely not for this year, but definitely for next!

So whats hoppin' for the rest of you???

:easterbunny:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Easter in our house is very low key. This year because of it being early it is not in the middle of school holidays. The kids get Friday and Monday off school. Friday we will have a seafood meal- usually a late lunch/ early dinner type thing. I will probably invite some friends over to share. Sunday usually a roast of some type. The Easter Bunny will bring lots of chocolate! During this time we also have the Sydney Royal Easter Show going on- it goes for 2 weeks. Kind of what I think you guys call a state fair- I think. We always visit! Other than that this is kind of the last weekend of summer- before the weather turns cool. Not always by date but more in people's minds.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
As far as I know, it will be very quiet this year. A good dinner, no treats though. Maybe a nice walk on the beach.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
AJ ... there is a post going around on fb/pinterest where they use an opened upside down umbrella in place of a basket.

Easter is also low key for us. Kids get baskets but the Easter bunny fills it with DVD's, toys, etc and some candy. Its one of the few holidays we do not host anyone. Depending on when Easter falls helps to determine our dinner. When it's later in the year we grill good steaks but since its earlier this year I will make a prime rib. I am thinking about making hot cross buns this year and will most likely either make pies or cupcakes for Easter dessert.

I do want to pick up a new Spring/Easter flag for outside.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Easter means Easter baskets, an egg hunt and dinner here with my family. The kids usually get new swimwear and flip flops with some Easter candy in their baskets. I'm planning on Pittsburgh Penguin trunks and slides for H. I'll have to look for a suit for M. I try to get her something modest.

We'll go to Mass in the morning and then have dinner around 1 with an egg hunt to follow. I'll make ham, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole, Italian Easter bread, and probably Jelly Bean Bite cookies and a cheesecake of some type for dessert.

I just bought a new runner for the table and two banners from Kirkland's today. I also got a monogram bunny for the front door.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Easter at my house, Easter baskets Teigan wins out now but my 2 kids and SIL still get too. After dinner is a egg hunt. I decorated the tables and usually have treats for all to take home.

Last yr. or yr. before I did the napkins to look like carrots.

Thinking of the menu. I actually have everybody contacted about the time. 19 are invited counting us all but my nephew, niece and their 2 girls will go to her side I am sure.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We usually have the eggs hidden after the kids go to bed the previous night. They wake up and find their eggs and baskets. We will be driving down to Florida this year on Easter. Other than an egg hunt though, it's not really a big holiday in our house. Sometimes i'll cook a ham and sides but that's about it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We have been going down to a relative of DH every year for a while now - and I always bring a couple of food items - need to reach out and confirm what I am bringing this year!

She usually lets us set up an egg hunt in her yard - DH goes out and hides the eggs right after we get there and I am in the house with DS.

Will have to figure out when to give him his Easter basket-when he wakes up, etc.

Use to always decorate for Easter and I had a lot of cute stuff for it - but starting from scratch now! Will be taking a look on Pinterest today and figuring out what projects I want to plan on completing this year so next year can feel a bit more festive.

For now I'll find some craft projects DS and I can do to "decorate" :)

Love the napkin/carrot idea! Too cute!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm not sure how or where our Easter will go this year. We've always done it at my mom's, but if things for the way Christmas did...it will be a bust. My family showed up as usual, but Sister was sick, one niece and her H came late that evening, and other niece didn't show...so, I'm about ready to start planning my family's holidays here at my house. I hate for the cousins to not see each other, but they've got to step up and start caring about it instead of me.

This I do know...

We're have community sunrise services to which we'll go. Then, our church will have breakfast followed by Sunday school and the Easter Cantata. I'll have to check about lunch at Mama's. I don't know if DD23 and her DH will be here on not. While they were dating, he always came to Easter at our house. As far as I know, DD18 will be here.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I feel your pain, missjane! It can be frustrating when it's like pulling teeth to make things happen!!! Or when it all falls apart due to unforeseen things like sickness, etc.

My Easter prep is coming along pretty well! I've been working on a few different craft projects and although they won't be up long before Easter I'll have them for next year!

I've got 99% of DS's Easter Basket items purchased. Need to assemble and see if I need to pick up anything else but I think it will be full! I have the cellophane to wrap it and need to make a pretty bow.

I've purchased a small amount of candy for filling the eggs for the hunt but do need more. Have that on my grocery list for this week. If I pick up a bag or two between now and then I should be fine. We also fill the eggs with quarters, stickers, etc.

I've finalized my plans for the food I'm taking down to Easter dinner with family. I'm making my Herb Crescent Rolls which are a tried and true favorite and requested every year!

I am switching it up - slightly - with the cheesecake I'm making. I'm trying a new recipe - which makes me nervous - but I'm just going to go for it! This one is crustless and baked in the water bath.

http://foodforahungrysoul.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-york-cheesecake.html

I'll take down a couple of different types of pie filling (I canned cherry and blueberry last summer) and let folks add their own...

I'm also bringing Deviled Eggs and a Blue Cheese Cheesecall with crackers.

Have to make a note to check my supply of foil disposable pans - I get them at the $ store and they usually come with paper/foil "lids" that you can crimp down - they work GREAT as take home containers for leftovers!

Oh! And I picked up two vases from the thrift store for $0.50 each - ran them through the dishwasher and they are good as new! Will pick up a couple of spring bouquets the day before Easter and use them to fill the vases - probably tie a pretty bow on the vases - then one is for DH's mom and one is for her cousin that is hosting Easter dinner.

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been washing our plastic Easter egg stash by opening them all up and putting a bunch in a lingerie bag (those white mesh ones) and throwing one in with each load of the wash I'm doing anyway. Then I spread them out to dry on a towel on the laundry counter.

These eggs were given to us and I know they were sitting in a garage for a long time - just wanted to make sure they were all clean. A lot of really cute ones shaped like bunnies and carrots and frogs, etc.!!!

I think I have enough washed now for what we'll want to fill and hide - but I still have another whole bag full left! Probably need to start thinking about what other uses I may have for those eggs - craft projects, etc.! Whatever I don't think we can use I guess I could donate somewhere.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Also made a new Carrot Cake recipe for BIL's birthday THIS weekend - here is that link for any who might be interested :)

You soak the cake layers in this buttermilk glaze goodness - watching that come together on the stovetop was like a fun science class - watching it change color and thicken as it boiled! lol

http://www.itisakeeper.com/3567/the-best-carrot-cake-ever/

I froze the layers after pouring on the glaze and letting everything cool. Will thaw and make the frosting on Saturday so I can assemble everything.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I need to think of some things to make Easter special this year. There is usually a big outdoor Easter Egg hunt, but they don't seem to be holding it this year.
I haven't been able to get much for the girls yet since we've all been home sick for the past couple of weeks. I think I'll pull some stocking stuffers for the Easter baskets and see if DH can grab them each a bunny and a couple of eggs.
I did find PlayDoh filled eggs after Easter last year, so I'll be hiding those along with some plastic eggs filled with little foil-wrapped eggs.
We usually have turkey for Easter dinner and make Easter bread, a sweet bread with coloured eggs baked into it. They were clearing turkeys at the grocery story a month ago, so I have a huge one that is prestuffed all ready. I'm just hoping everyone is feeling better by then so I can invite some people over for dinner.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
FrostyShimmer - I hope everyone is feeling much better too!!!

Last night I got out everything purchased for DS's Easter basket and fitted it all into the basket I found to see if I have enough - and I do!

I also got out a really nice stuffed bunny DH gave me on our first Easter together - it's been in storage forever and is like new. Washed in on delicate last night and dried it and it's all ready to be part of the Easter surprises for DS now :)

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
We are having Easter at my oldest sons new house. The landscape is beautiful and filled with trees and wonderful hiding places for the little ones. I spent over an hour filling plastic eggs with M&M's, Reece's Cups and gummy bears. I had the box in my bedroom ready to go. Yesterday my granddaughter came to visit and wanted to watch Netflix cartoons in my bed. I thought nothing of it and a few hours later she pops into the kitchen and says, "Maw Maw, I ate all of your chocolate." I thought maybe DH had left some candy in there. It wasn't until I crawled into bed late last night that I realized my bed was full of M&M and Reece's papers. SHe seriously had taken the eggs apart and ate her heart out.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im sorry to laugh Ellen but that has given me a real giggle!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Put together the Easter basket last night and I am really happy with how it turned out! That cellophane was giving me fits though!

I think it was just low blood sugar :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I still have a few more things to pick up for my daughters basket (bobby pins and assorted size hair bands) and I still need to get a DVD for my sons basket.