Easter Prep 2017...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Is anyone starting to pull together plans and items for Easter this year?

With money really tight right now I've been stressing over getting a nice Easter Basket assembled for DS. Plus I wanted to get some things to use as filler for the plastic Easter eggs we'll be hiding that is not candy. DS just doesn't eat that much of it and we still have a ton left over from Christmas and then he got a bunch for Valentines from classmates too.

I used a gift card at Target yesterday to purchase a few things and also went to Dollar Store. Then yesterday afternoon I pulled out the boxes of Easter things from the storage area and EUREKA! My post Easter clearance shopping last year has saved the day!!! :)

I have a plush bunny, a Petter Cottontail book, bunny bubbles, a Minions magnetic sticker book, tons of things! Plus I remembered that DH got DS a jelly bean gum ball machine for Christmas that we forgot to give him so that will be the centerpiece of the basket! I have a basket saved from last year and even found more bags of Easter grass tucked away as well! SO happy!

I also found a recipe I'm going to try to make for dessert this year - we'll be going to family and I always bring a cheesecake. This year I'm going to try White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake! Yum!

And my freezer has two boxes of puff pastry left in it (from all the boxes I purchased around Christmas) that are good until after Easter. I make Herb Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls for Easter every year and they call for puff pastry. Nice to have the expensive part of things already!

I do have a couple of crafts I wanted to make for DS's basket as well. Will post on those soon! And on some ideas I have for making the loose candy we already have in the house work for filling Easter eggs!

What are the rest of you doing/planning?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
You did great stocking up on all those goodies last year after Easter.

Easter is always low key for us as this one holiday where we do not host. Kids and hubby dye eggs the day before.

DD wants more nail polish, nail polish remover, make up and CDs so that's is what we will get her. There is a dollar tree by my work that has all different colors of nail polish that she likes.

DS Loves anything Legos and minecraft so I will be check out the 5 below, walmart and targets clearance and dollar sections.

They do not get much candy either ... A small chocolate bunny and a bunch of the small reese peanut butter eggs.

For the past several years I have grilled steaks for Easter Dinner. The local grocery store always has nice steaks on sale right before Easter. DD and I are thinking about making a cheese cake this year for dessert. Thinking about making waffles for breakfast.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm off to look for a recipe for White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Easter here is very low key and very simple. At school we will have an Easter hat parade- kids will make/ decorate their hats at school. I have invited the local aged care home to come and help us. The kids really seem to respond well to the older community members. Not sure why as they can be total monsters with each other and the general community. We will do that in the morning, have a BBQ lunch for everyone and then parade in the afternoon. Easter this year falls in the middle of the Term 1 school holidays so school celebrations will be early.

At home we will have a seafood lunch on the Friday- I usually have some friends join us. The Sunday we will have roast lamb. No idea why? Mum always did roast lamb on Easter Sunday so I do too. Easter is generally a transition weekend for us in Australia. Although it is officially Autumn, the Easter weekend is kind of the last hurrah of Summer and warmer temps. We will do Easter Eggs and chocolates. Its not a big deal though- the Easter Bunny delivers over night in the family room. Luke is too big now but even when he was little he never got into the hunting for Easter Eggs. Easter baskets are not popular here- its generally chocolate items and thats pretty much it. Our football team generally has a game over the Easter weekend- we often go. I have not yet checked the schedule for this year but if its on we might go.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We go to mom's for Easter weekend. For quite some years now mom invites family (some friends too) and dad does a pork mechoui (meat on a skewer cooked over a fire a few hours) with homemade fries (the guys prep the fries - usually a 30 lbs bag!)... We make a few salads with veggies & dip and dessert is chocolate fountain with tons of fruits. There is a small egg hunt for the few small kids (4).
I did buy a big bag of gummy bears to add to the table. I will be on the lookout for more things to help out mom.
We usually sit outside (if it's nice or else it's in the garage and dad has a big tent we put up) and some games are played. it usually is really nice. We get more people than at Christmas!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did to pull out my Easter tote this week. Funny how you do not remember what you picked up last year.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We picked up the candy for the Kids Easter Baskets last night. Hoping to go this weekend to get the rest of the stuff for their baskets.

We don't have much in terms of spring or Easter decorations. I have my flags out and will bring down my basket with my light up Easter Eggs this weekend.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I found two Easter rabbits at GoodWill. One is a ceramic vase in the form of a sitting up rabbit. The other is a ceramic bunny ornament. Then I grabbed a wicker basket to use for DS's Easter items.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Diedra, good finds at Goodwill. I bought two ceramic bunnies today at Walmart that will be part of the table centerpiece. We usually do Easter at my mom's house, but I'm assuming it will be here at our house this year. It's such a sticky situation with DSis's kids and grandkids. Such a mess... I think Mama prefers to not have them all at her house, so she graciously suggests that we all just "have our kids at our own houses."

We only have DD20 now to do an Easter basket for. Breakfast is at church after sunrise service. I have a couple recipes I want to try this week to see if I want to make them for it. Not sure what I'll make for lunch, yet, except strawberry pie and ham.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I put together Easter basket for DS and hid in a box upstairs. Purchased candy for filling eggs for the hunt and just need to assemble the eggs and fill one evening soon after he goes to bed.

I reached out to family on coming down for Easter dinner - I'll be making a cheesecake and bringing an appetizer and herb cream cheese crescent rolls made with puff pastry - a favorite!

Decorations are up! I've been working on my Easter clearance shopping "want" list too! :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
AJ sounds like you are on top of it and are all ready for Easter! DH and I are going shopping tomorrow to finish off the kids baskets. Grocery store has hams on sale really cheap so I am picking up a few this weekend and it looks like we will do Ham for Easter. Since we are not hosting it will be a pretty simple but nice dinner.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i already decorated for easter. iam making a easter basket for my 2/1/2 year old grandson. cards and candy for my older kids. not sure what im having for dinner yet as the day before is my daughters bday dinner

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm doing a little adjusting to our Easter menu. The theme will be a Cowboy Easter. More info to follow.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'll be making these Easter Egg Surprises this year. If I can find some hollow eggs in the next few days. I'll be using my own fast easy cheesecake recipe. Not sure if I'll find nice ripe mangos so I might have to thin out the lemon curd or just use lemon pudding.
Easter Egg Surprise

Diedra's Fast Easy CheeseCake Recipe

8 oz cream cheese, softened and beaten until fluffy
8 oz whipping cream, beaten stiffly
1 cup powered sugar
Fold all together

This can be used in a crust (graham cracker or oreo).
Topped with fresh strawberries or your favorite pie filling.

I change this recipe sometimes to make a type of Sweet Charity Pie (was a pillsbury winner one year(1960s maybe)-someone else's recipe not mine). It would also be good in the Egg but you'd lose the yolk idea.

Diedra's Fast and Easy Sweet Charity Pie

8 oz cream cheese, softened and beaten until fluffy
1 cup powered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
Fold all together and spread into a graham cracker or oreo pie crust.

8 oz whipping cream, beaten stiffly
1 can cherry pie filling
Fold together and spread over the pie.

You can add chocolate curls and/or sliced almonds.

Here's the actual recipe for Sweet Charity Pie
http://boysahoy.com/sweet-charity-pie/

UPDATE: I found little (real egg size) at Aldi's. I made four with the cheesecake. I thought they were just ok. Everyone else really liked them. The large eggs shown on youtube were priced at $18 so that was out. Still have decided if i'll make them for Easter.

I am running behind on Easter prep. Still have the baskets to put together. The major shopping isn't done and nothing is prepped. And i'll be out of town for two days this week. lol DS did order cake and cupcakes so that is off my shoulders.

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We got everything we needed for the kids Easter Baskets over the weekend. I was thinking about making a ham but now I am debating if I want to roast a turkey instead, Such decisions LOL.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I bought Easter napkins at Walmart. I'm waiting for ham or turkey breasts to go on sale (hopefully).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Still have to buy nièces / nephews gifts. My kids & my sis' kids are big enough now so they dont have any anymore. I am making crochet bunnies for 2 nièces and 1 nephew (my side of the family). I need to pick up some chocolate for all of them.
We are going to mom's as usual. Mechoui, salads, and chocolate fountain with fruits for dessert. Hoping it won't be too cold or rainy as all is outside.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
Trying a few different ideas for Easter egg hunt this year,,,I went to bulk barn and picked up a few treats,, but since u buy what u want I didn't get too many..and found chocolate coins! Dgd will love those. I'm going to make Rice Krispie eggs with a treat in the middle. Pioneer woman posted the idea on her site..it's cute! I'll put them inside a plastic egg. My dd is making bath bombs with a little toy inside each one...they look cute on Pinterest.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am way behind in prep for Easter. Will get moving today.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I love Easter but with just the two of us I'm not doing much this year. I could not find my little Easter decorations except for a tiny ceramic bunny. So I am bummed about that but hopefully as I start clearing stuff out I'll locate them at some point.

I bought a tiny ham. I'll make deviled eggs. Some vegetables. DH has been strict with his diet so I didn't even buy any candy this year. I might get a little dessert for Sunday. I always love having guests for the holidays but have to get used to just us. I still do special things since DH enjoys the extra touch.

My co-worker brought me some yellow mums yesterday so I have some bright flowers which is lovely.