eReaders

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Hi,

I am getting an eReader for Christmas. I'm wondering if anyone here has one and which one you have, do you like it, do you wish for more from it, etc?

I'm considering the Kindle from Amazon because their book prices are the best, compared to BN and Borders.

Thanks!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I love my Kindle. I've had it for well over a year and currently have the new $139 verson. The selection of books is the widest and I've never had any problems with it.

Debbie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Lisa - I recently found out that our public library will let you borrow books for e readers. I would suggest calling your library system to see if they do this and if so which ones are they compatible with, etc. I got a touch pad for my birthday and have read books on it and love it.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I don't have one but wish I did. Enjoy Lisa...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thanks Kim for the library advice....I know our library does that because we received an email about it at school. I will have to check compatibility though.

I'm leaning toward the Kindle 3G WiFi....want to be able to surf the net without worrying about having wifi access.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was thinking more about this recently, but I'm such a hands on person. I love tearing magazine pages out. (and storing them for 10 years..LOL) and I love having my Christmas book collection on the shelf. I just don't know how I would feel about having one.

How are the books backed up, so you don't loose them if something crashes?

MissBrittany

Premiere Member
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
DH gave me a Sony Reader yesterday for my birthday. I like the size, but haven't actually used it yet... still trying to figure out how to download books.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm sort of like Michele. I thought about a Kindle, but wondered how I would like not having an actual book in my hands. My DD's best friend got one for her birthday. I thought I would take a look at hers and see what I think.

Enjoy, Lisa, and let us know what your research reveals.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I have a Kindle and LOVE it! I too was skeptical of not having the actual book in my hands, but it looks just like a page in a book...Amazon will "store" them indefinitely if you don't want to keep them on your device, although there is plenty of room.

that being said, I do not use it for magazines...only books.

Aside from my iPod, I can't think of any other gadget that I enjoy more!!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I bumped this up to ask how are you ladies liking your ereaders? I'm trying to figure out which one would be the best for me...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love my kindle! I just bought the case with the built in light for it with a christmas gift card. I recommend it!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm loving my Nook. I can download books from any place that sells them which is nice. It takes like 1 second to download a full book and i'm reading immediately. I can also surf the web, play games, listen to audio books, etc. And it stays charged for a very long time and holds up to 1500 books I think.

I also like that I can Lend books to other Nook users, if I knew anyone else that had one. LOL You Lend it to them and then it stays on their system for so many days I think but i'm not sure if it just deletes itself after that or what. There's probably a prompt to extend the loan or something. But it's a cool feature and would definitely save some money between friends.

Michelle asked if there was a backup. B&N will store your downloads under your account online and they are also on the Nook. You can also download them to your own computer.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I second Lisa.

I've had my Kindle for over 2 years and love it. The nook looks interesting too.

Debbie

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm getting a Nook...hopefully around the end of FEB....have been wanting for a long time...but always something else to use the money for.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I already asked Barnes and Noble and they said the Nook doesn't, but do any of the others save pages out of magazines while reading. I'd like to alleviate my magazines and store the pages I would normally tear. That would be AWESOME!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Michelle I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

I'm looking for afforability as well as freedom. I've heard(but don't know if it is true so I ask here) that with the Kindle I could only get books from Amazon. Now Amazon is an amazing place with a huge book selection. But I surf the web alot so if I came upon a free or low cost ebook on another site I'd like to be able to buy it for my reader...

Where all can you download books from? How hard is it to download books to your reader? Do you have a problem with glare? May I ask what the cost of your reader was?

We are going to my DS hopefully next weekend so trying to get all the info I need to decide.

I reall appreciate everyone's help

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Tricia- I heard that about the Kindle also. I got my Nook for Christmas from my mom and stepdad and she said they did alot of research on both before deciding which one to get. The Nook ultimately won out because of the ability to buy books from anywhere, not just one place.

I think the Nook was around $139 but like I said it was a gift so I don't know for sure. I don't have a Nookcolor, just a regular Nook. With the Nook you can download books from anywhere. Once you buy the book you just click download on the Nook and it's on there fully downloaded in like a few seconds. So it is very easy.

I don't know about the Kindle but the Nook is not backlit. They tried to make it as close to looking like an actual book page as possible and they did a pretty good job. I haven't noticed glare being a problem at all. Hope that helps.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks Jess. When we go to visit my DS I always go to B&N. So I will be sure to check on the Nook while there. Besides price, the availabilty to buy(books) anywhere will be a major player in which one I get. I've found a board that is pacifically about ereaders & have been reading around it. But I'm familiar with the ladies here, so wanted you're opinions & experiences with your ereaders.

I appreciate all the help.