Extreme Easter Basket Hunt

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Smilesx4 said I could post her idea.

Do you give your kids Easter Baskets? Smilesx4 says she hides them. She asks the kids do they want them hidden; easy, hard or make me cry. Love the idea. This year one basket is going inside an item that will be in an opened box for a household item. One year it took her teenage kid 4 hours to find his basket. She says they can buy hints with Cadbury eggs. And she videos the hunt.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Wow! That's hard core! I'll have to wait a few years, but I LOVE the idea of buying clues by giving mom Cadbury eggs! Genius!!!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
That would really be fun for kids.

A friend I use to work with did scvenger (sp) hunts for her daughter for Easter stuff. Gave papers with clues to your next find treasure.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
My kids are getting older, two teens and almost 7. I was thinking about doing something a little different this year. My plan was to attach a string to each basket and then wind a string maze thing through the living room and hallway to each of their rooms. Over and under the furniture, the other strings, and up and around the walls, etc. Then just put an Easter pencil connected to their color of string in their room. The only thing is a middle of the night trip to the bathroom might not work out too well for them. LOL I suppose I could start the maze in the hallway, after the bathroom.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
ok, I am making this my last year of Easter Baskets for my kids, 22. 20. 19. my youngest is getting ready to go off to college, & the other 2 have been gone a while.. Hubby is asking them all to come to church with us, this year & afterwards we r going to have a small get together, with them.. I am going to make a basket, with maybe a shirt, pens, paper, notebooks or something.. & then get each of them their very own bag of their favorite candy... lol
am up for new ideas.....

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think I'll go extreme as well....make her work for her goodies!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Love it!!

My girls are a little young at the moment, but definately something to keep in mind for when they are a few years older :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Anyone doing anything extreme for easter this year?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I seen my message above..and I'm like...HUH...I don't remember writing that. But I see why...that was 2 years ago. Maybe I should still try that EXTREME hunt I never did ...hahaha

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
This year, perhaps not totally extreme, but we had an Easter egg hunt in the garden which was for age 2-8. The 8 year old hid some of the eggs, for her cousins, but DH and I hid the rest, with a few going in hard places for the 5 and 8 year olds to find, and plenty in easier spots for the 2 smaller ones.

We also had a piñata, which happened to be easter egg shaped but not decorated (due to running out of time) that DD and the au pair had made. But they spent their time well as there were about 10 layers of paper on it. So it took the 4, 5 and 8 year olds about 20 minutes to break through it. Lots of fun.

Then, when we got to my parents, we had a second hunt (with an 8 year old and lots of adults) and a second piñata. Given that the "bar" had already opened (not long but Dad mixes strong G+Ts) and a blindfold was used, and the adults were involved in the whacking, that one was funny. The rope holding it up was knocked out by my Dad, so then DD was allowed attack it on the ground with her hurley (gaelic games stick - sort of similar to a field hockey stick but a bigger end).

I will have to do something a bit more challenging for her next year though.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Anyone doing an extreme hunt for Easter this year?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
While not an Easter basket hunt, we hid 4-6 dozen regular plastic eggs and 2 dozen of the larger eggs outside at my parents house one time, for all their grandkids (2 under 5 and 8 pre- or early teens). The smaller eggs were filled with Easter candies that they all would like and the larger ones were filled with other goodies an older kid might enjoy (a few had a scratch-off lottery ticket, some had $1 or $5 bills, gift certificates for a variety of fast food chains, off-brand Hot Wheels-type toys, bouncy balls, etc.). My 3 sisters and I coordinated and agreed on how much we'd each spend, who bought what, who had plastic eggs they could bring from home, and we all filled them once we got to my parents (my DMom conveniently "forgot something" wink-wink for dinner and sent us girls to the "store" (their garage, where the brown-n-serve rolls were sitting in a bag on a lawn chair), where we filled and hid everything.) At that time in our lives, we did not live near each other (Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and SW Michigan; parents were near Kalamazoo), or we would have gathered at home to fill the eggs ahead of time.

We set a number of eggs for each size (maybe 8 small eggs and 3 large eggs each?), so everyone cold have an equal amount of eggs. It was what was in them that was the surprise. The "littles" wanted to immediately open every egg they found, where the older kids were all over the yard, getting everything they could and, surprisingly, when they got their "share" they started helping the little ones find hidden eggs. Once we thought everyone was done, the kids each got a bag for their haul and we counted up the eggs. We told the kids how many were still missing and everyone was off on the hunt once again.

It was the last Easter we celebrated at my parents home and it is a memory we all treasure.