Family Reunions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Hi all,

My dh's family reunion is held annually each August. This year, our family is in charge of coordinating the reunion. DH is the oldest of seven, but somehow most of the family is going to Vegas that weekend (not coincidental at all) and they figured my retired mil and the off all summer school teacher (me) could do all the work. We decided on a theme of Red, White and Blue. I just made an adorable smilebox invite to print at walmart pending mil's approval. I'm also going to order a few decorations from Oriental Trading. I'm looking for any great ideas, reunion planning tips, and game ideas for the reunion. It's held at the same park every year. They have a train ride for the kids, ball field and pool. There's always a game of ball and if the weather permits the little ones swim. We will supply the main dish~chicken (my mil already bought breasts for fingers, but I'd rather marinate and grill to make it fresh!) and pulled pork with bbq sauce on the side for serving. The rest is potluck.

Thanks!
Lisa

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Really, Lisa? On top of everything else you have going on you are co-chair of the family reunion? My oh my, you are a wonderful person!

One of the best family reunion things we did was create a scavenger hunt and split the groups into two with both kids and adults on each team. We had things on the list that you would find in nature - a rock shaped like a heart, a four leaf clover, a branch (from the ground!) taller than your tallest team member, a yellow flower, etc. We gave them a time frame and coordinate watches, we gave them an empty box and let them go to it. The list was long and was designed not to be finished so awards were given based on what was brought back. Each item had a point value so the teams could decide what to focus on. For example the stick was worth 1 point while the four leaf clover was worth 10. People still talk about it and I was surpised at how good the kids were at it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lisa, how do you manage it all??

I love the scavenger hunt idea. A good idea is a rallye ... finding answers to question while doing a tour of the area.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thanks gals! We did do a scavenger hunt the last time I was in charge of kid's games. It was a big hit. So I may do that again. A tour is a great idea...with questions. Keep those ideas coming!

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
I'm thinking you should have had a vegas theme and it could be a crap shoot for everyone else as to wether there would be food or not. LOL Just kidding. I have an ice breaker that is fun and funny if you want, I could attach and send in pm.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
we have one this weeknd. we are going to washington dc. going to visit the white house. go to the capital. we have adinner and amuseum to visit.. its about 80 people in all.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Having lived near DC all my life I can say that is a lot of people to get around the city, Housewife! Have lots of fun!

Lisa - Have you ever thought about bringing in a local photographer and having pictures taken by a professional. Usually you pay a fee and then they will put the photos on line and then everyone can order the prints they want. Could be fun to get some candids of kids and some important group photos.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm thinking you should have had a vegas theme and it could be a crap shoot for everyone else as to wether there would be food or not. LOL Just kidding. I have an ice breaker that is fun and funny if you want, I could attach and send in pm.

GrammyK,

I almost spit out a mouthful of tea all over my computer screen after reading your comment.

Too funny!!!