Farewell Party-- HELP ME!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We are some good friends that are moving away. :thud:

We are inviting our bible study group/and other church members over to our home for an impromptu potluck picnic lunch--a.k.a very large group!!!. I want to make is super special for our friends-- just not a clunky picnic. It will be on our back patio (large cemented area).

I need your suggestions on decorating and such... (We are providing the tableware and drinks).

Thank you in advance!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
How about a table with flowers -- and an address book as a going away gift. Ask everyone to fill out the book while they are at the picnic. And maybe a disposable camera or two - for pictures of everyone.

The party will be wonderful! Getting a large group together -- offering your home for the party! That is huge!

I would be more worried about the house working for a large group. I would put more flowers in the bathroom. And a BIG wastebasket. And piles of disposable paper hand towels. (And lots of extra toilet paper handy.) And - I would set up trash bags around the yard - set up in large boxes or something. And nearby smaller boxes for recycling bottles and cans for drinks.

Oh, I might put other tables - with flowers - with the beverages and ice -- near the table with the address book. You COULD splurge on helium balloons, if you chose. They are $1 each here. And my car barely holds 30.
You could tie the helium balloons to the trash cans and the serving tables - and around the yard. Are you borrowing tables and chairs for people to sit at? Paper tablecloths - or white sheets - on each table. Maybe you can borrow candles in glass tea light holders. So if the party is still going on after dark, it will look lovely. If you borrow tables, I might ask to have them delivered the day before the party. That way you would have time to get everything set up.

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Will there be kids? If so, have activities for them so that they are not bored-horseshoe toss, coloring books, and crayons, hula hoops....

You could have some background music playing, and check to see if there is anyone that might have a chocolate fountain that you could borrow.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Oh, those are great ideas. The flowers... the balloons... the address book (that is my favorite). I think I have such a notebook around my house (not used... very pretty).

:party:

We are having people bring lawn chairs... we have a long patio (two levels). I am thinking of putting the food in the house... in our formal dining room so that the flying bugs don't get in the food and then put the desserts outside on a small table.

I have lots of white table cloths thanks to my Grandma. I have some watermelon placemats that I am thinking of using on the patio tables. My mom just gave me some watermelon candles on long sticks (that you place in the ground). I also have watermelon salt/pepper shakers. I think I am getting a theme going here.....

I have a party house-- tri-level house with lots of open space and great places for people to sit and chat. We have a nice sized backyard so we should be able to accommodate the crowd just fine.

I just found my Southern Living Party Book that I got years ago... I am going to look through for a few ideas...

Someone else is handling the inviting so all I have to worry about is the party-- it is a potluck meal so not a lot of cooking-- my kind of party!!! ;-)

**I would love to do the chocolate fountain but the guest of honor is allergic to chocolate.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A basket of postcards. Have everyone address postcards if they want the new address of the people moving. That way all they have to do is add their new address and drop it in the mail.

Take a photo of the group.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Ahorsesoul - that basket of postcards is a brilliant idea! That could be used for other things too....

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
The farewell party is a flop. The person who said they would to the inviting dropped the ball. By the time I discovered this it was too late. :thud:

We have managed to invite another family but they are only coming for dessert and to say good-bye.

I put off my shopping for tablewear... so glad that I did since we won't need it. I will use my everyday dishes and we will sit around the dining room table. I have also changed the menu since I will be the only one providing food.

I feel bad that my family and one other one will be the only ones saying "Good-bye".

I am so frustrated and disappointed.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So sorry they didn't do their job.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Awww, maaan. I hate it when that happens! Sorry it didn't work out, but just concentrate on your friends who are there and pity those who aren't because they are missing a wonderful opportunity! It's their loss..

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
AWWW..I am sorry! BUT I think it is lovely for you even to want to celebrate this family going away..don't worry a minute, and enjoy them..AND keep these party ideas, I am sure you will have another opportunity to use them, you had a great theme going! :party:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Maybe the family will come back for a visit in the future -- and you can do the party then.

Last time we moved, I was so exhausted that I would have been too tired to enjoy a big party! (And I adore big parties usually!) I much preferred small dinners where somebody else made the dinner and I could take a break from movings tuff and sit down and rest!