Favorite foods we remember from years gone by.....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Tonight I made elbow macaroni, ground beef, big can of crushed tomatoes, sauteed green pepper, onion, garlic.....a dinner my Mom always made when we were growing up. I imagine many of you have made it also!!!

This and I always think of childhood when I make carrot raisin salad!!

It might be fun for others to post what memories they have of foods made by their family members that hold fond memories for them......

Laurie

word for 2021 JOY

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Funny that I like everything in the elbow mac dish but not all together. Now cook the macaroni separately and top it with the rest is good. lol

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My mom made macaroni salad for big family or holiday dinners when I was a kid. When I became an adult I asked her for the recipe .. well there wasn't one, at least for measurements anyhow LOL. So I have been making it for the past 20 years, my family loves it and I am always asked to make it for extended family parties.

At Christmas no matter what cookies my mom made she always made cut out sugar cookies and gingerbread men. Now when I make them they bring back so many memories from my Christmases as a small child.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Hot Fudge Sundae Pudding was my favorite dessert that mom made. It is a batter like a brownie and then topped with brown sugar and cocoa and hot water. While baking the brownie would bake through the toping and create a pudding underneath. Top with vanilla ice cream and yum. It is in the Betty Crocker cookbook.

The other thing she made was potato salad. Very simple recipe but my sister and I could never get it to taste the same as hers. The secret was in her dressing, she added a little sugar and lots of celery salt. She had told me how she made it and as I watched while she was putting it together she walked to the cupboard and grabbed the celery salt, I asked what she had and she said celery salt, I told her she never told me about that ingredient. She laughed and said, Oh, I forgot, I just make it.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
There are two, for me. Chicken a'la King over biscuits, and chili. Those always comfort me, especially on a day when it's bone-chilling cold outside.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My mom made wonderful cheese blintzes.

I've got the blintz (crepe) recipe down but DH agrees with me that I haven't gotten the cheese filling quite right yet. I keep trying!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My Mum also makes a great potato salad. Potatoes, a little bacon and some green onion. Like above it is the dressing that makes it great. I can never replicate it.
My Mum also makes a mayonnaise out of condensed milk. I have watched her make it 1000 times and still cannot get it right.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Homemade chicken and dumplings and homemade chicken and noodles. My grandmother used to make both of them at holiday gatherings and then my mom started making them and now I do too. It's not Thanksgiving or Christmas without them. We make the dumplings all year but the noodles are only made on Thanksgiving because they are a little more time consuming and messy.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Homemade chicken and dumplings and homemade chicken and noodles. My grandmother used to make both of them at holiday gatherings and then my mom started making them and now I do too. It's not Thanksgiving or Christmas without them. We make the dumplings all year but the noodles are only made on Thanksgiving because they are a little more time consuming and messy.
Homemade noodles, I bet those are good.....!

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
My Mum also makes a great potato salad. Potatoes, a little bacon and some green onion. Like above it is the dressing that makes it great. I can never replicate it.
My Mum also makes a mayonnaise out of condensed milk. I have watched her make it 1000 times and still cannot get it right.
And bacon in potato salad, that is one of those...."why didn't I think of that!"

Reactions: Minta and jampss

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Hot Fudge Sundae Pudding was my favorite dessert that mom made. It is a batter like a brownie and then topped with brown sugar and cocoa and hot water. While baking the brownie would bake through the toping and create a pudding underneath. Top with vanilla ice cream and yum. It is in the Betty Crocker cookbook.

The other thing she made was potato salad. Very simple recipe but my sister and I could never get it to taste the same as hers. The secret was in her dressing, she added a little sugar and lots of celery salt. She had told me how she made it and as I watched while she was putting it together she walked to the cupboard and grabbed the celery salt, I asked what she had and she said celery salt, I told her she never told me about that ingredient. She laughed and said, Oh, I forgot, I just make it.
Jody, that sounds like a dessert worth looking up in the Betty Crocker cookbook!

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
My mom made macaroni salad for big family or holiday dinners when I was a kid. When I became an adult I asked her for the recipe .. well there wasn't one, at least for measurements anyhow LOL. So I have been making it for the past 20 years, my family loves it and I am always asked to make it for extended family parties.

At Christmas no matter what cookies my mom made she always made cut out sugar cookies and gingerbread men. Now when I make them they bring back so many memories from my Christmases as a small child.
Gingerbread men .....that will go on my list of cookies to bake this next Christmas!!

Reactions: jampss and Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We used to have this stuff called Frelish. It is basically a fish mix that same in a large can. You mixed it with mashed potato and an egg and formed it into patties. You would crumb it and shallow fry it. Served with salad that had vinegar sprinkled on it. I think we had Frelish when it was getting close to pay day and Mum and Dad had no money left. I loved that meal and if it was around today I would probably feed it to my family. It was delicious and very much comfort food.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really feel that our Mums and Grandmas were amazing, they could certainly stretch a meal and a budget. I really don't know how they provided so well for us on the limited budget that they had. My Mum still pretty much makes most things from scratch, not too many packets in her pantry. She is still a very good cook and baker. She has the tiniest kitchen that I have seen but can do some magic in that kitchen.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
My mother couldn't boil water ... but her mom, my grandma, made Kuchen. It's a yeast pastry dough jelly-rolled up with a sweet poppyseed filling. YUM-O I did get the recipes and over the years have made it. But yeah ... somehow it just doesn't seem like grandma's!

On a side note ... so my DS17 has extreme OCD, well, through our family's journey with this, it came to our attention that hmmmmmm, my sis and I wonder about this grandma. Looking back on her bringing her own pots and pans to our house and food and her white glove cleaning checking of our house ... we think grandma was a germophobe. OCD is hereditary. So, no wonder my mother, an only child, couldn't cook ... her mother never taught her. Grandma had to do it for it to be done right and germ free. My dad says when they would travel with my grandmother, she would have her cleaning caddy and go into the hotel and clean the room first.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mashed potatoes were served only on Thanksgiving since it took too much time and expense to make. 10 lbs of potatoes, cream, butter and cream cheese are used in the recipe. It is delicious and nothing compares to it for the rest of the year. I've carried on the tradition of making mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving only. Everyone comes home for mashed potatoes. LOL!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Debbie is the cheese filling with cream cheese? I have never had those. I think my Mom would put applesauce in crepes and then sprinkle with powdered sugar
The filling is made with farmer cheese (In the United States, farmer cheese is pressed cottage cheese) and sometimes a bit of cream cheese and sugar. I just don't have the proportions right yet.