Feb: Great American Pie Month

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Time to share your pie making tips and recipes as February is Great American Pie Month but I'm declaring it International Pie Making Month so would love to hear recipes from around the world!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Happy Pie Month!

Here's my very favorite Pumpkin Pie recipe. I start with a pumpkin, not canned pumpkin. This turns out so light and delicious! It's heavenly. I got the recipe from my friend, Mary, years and years and years ago! It's a family favorite, of course. When I cook and mash the pumpkin, I divide it up into recipe-size portions and freeze it, so I can make Pumpkin Pie any time of year.

PUMPKIN PIE
  • 9" pie crust (unbaked)
  • 2 cups mashed pumpkin (I cut up a sugar pumpkin, scrape off seeds and steam till soft, then cool a bit so I can handle it, and peel the rind away.)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 2/3 (14 1/2 oz.) evaporated milk (14 1/2 oz used to be the standard, now they are smaller but using 1 can still works fine)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 to 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Blend all ingredients together in blender. Pour into 9" pie shell. Bake 40-45 min.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum and I tried a new pie on Thursday to see if it might be something we would like to add to our Christmas menu. DH and I really liked it and and think that it is a keeper. It is very easy and a little moreish.

FLUFFY PEPPERMINT PIE.

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
2 tabs sugar (we omitted this)
1/4 cup butter melted.

30 large marshmallows
1 can condensed milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 drops red food colour
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies (we used candy canes)

*Mix cookie crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into a ungreased pie plate 9x1 1/2 inches.Refrigerate.
* Place marshmallows and milk in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High about 3 minutes, stirring once until marshmallows are melted.
(watch as the marshmallow mix will rise and potentially boil over) Place in fridge for about 25 minutes or until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
*Beat whipping cream, food colour and peppermint extract in a chilled medium bowl until stiff. Stir marshmallow mixture and fold into the whipped cream. Fold in crushed candies. Pour mixture into crust. Cover and freeze about 5 hours. Cover and freeze any remaining pie.

Note:We decorated our pie with a little more crushed candy canes just before serving.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Is there a good site to find these national monthly celebrations?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I made this pie yesterday and I love it. a few of you have asked for the recipe so here it is.

Easy Coconut Pie.

3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 cups whole milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 tab butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
9 inch pie shell, baked.

1) In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the milk and heat until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes.
2) Remove from the heat, gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs, return all to the saucepan and cook until nearly boiling. Reduce heat and cook for a further 2 minutes (do not boil). Stir in a cup of the coconut, the vanilla and the butter until melted.
3) Pour into pie shell , sprinkle with coconut and chill for several hours before serving.

That is it! We had this for dessert last night and it is delicious.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Faye, the Peppermint pie is amazing and is on the baking list for Christmas. I hope that you try it.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Is there a good site to find these national monthly celebrations?
It would be great to have a weekly/monthly list of things to celebrate, especially in the "quiet" times of year.