February 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have tidied the kitchen drawers, I am amazed at how much clutter can go into a drawer. I have got all the bits for my stick blender together now so that is good. Took photos of some things that belong to DD and she said she will take them I will pack them up and give them to her next time I see her.
There is still a few things in cupboards belonging to her and will take photos when I get to tidying those and see what she wants.
A few more cupboards to go but moving along.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Another small bag of dvds was added to ds' bag for the dog that he left with us on Saturday :) 5 more dvds are being given away (3 to dd and 2 will be sent to mom's).

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We took the 5 bags to the Thrift Store yesterday so time to look for more things to get rid of!! I'm hoping to tackle the filing cabinet this week and pare it down some and reorganize it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mrs. Soup - It's a great feeling to actually have the bags out of the house, isn't it?

Dh got three bicycles out of the attic for the school donation on Wednesday. :) I went through another cabinet, a tote and more of the ping pong table. I put more things in the donation box. I found snow pants that I think will fit a friend's little guys.

I have still have the gift wrapping area, 3 more shelves, a rolling art cart, my teaching bins, and a few more boxes to go through. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I am very impressed. It would be great to look at before and after pictures of the basement so you could see how far you have come.
I just tidied the utensils caddy and 4 more kitchen cupboards and have created enough room to get my big mixer off the bench. One more cupboard to go which is mainly DDs coffee cups etc and I think the kitchen is done!!! Now if I could just,
A) keep it clean
B) get the boys to keep it clean and
C) never buy anything again.
it should stay that way......
LOL a girl can dream.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, great job on the kitchen!

I started going through my teaching bins and found these themed plates and napkins that I bought when my kids were in preschool. I have Barbie Fairy Tales, insects, cowboys, China, lobsters, and pocketbooks. The idea was to use them when we were studying about that topic. I remember buying them and then looking for them but I never could find them. They were tucked in with my sheet music. :rolleyes: Yeah, that makes sense...

Anyhow, I think I will still use them just for a kick. I like to switch things us during the week when everyone is in mood. The randomness of my actions gets them all laughing. :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I can just imagine serving dinner on a Barbie plate. I wonder why they were in with the sheet music???

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Holiday Mom, That sounds so much like my house!
I busted through my kitchen cabinets and pantry today. I did pitch a few things but this is the time of year I use up everything I have so there wasn't a lot to go through.
I am getting rid of some plastic dishes with lids that were my moms. I have tried to like them because they were mom's but I don't. Finally decided to say good by to them. Makes me sad.
I'm also getting rid of some measuring cups. I had 7 sets in my drawer! Decided I only needed 2 sets lol:)
I have a nice box of stuff to go to the thrift shop later this week.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I got two things out of DD room. One a big stuffed dog that Dh had picked up at a garage sale. And some Mickey Mouse ears. Someone at Goodwill will love them. She also tossed out a piece of paper that one of the people at her work wrote for her. No real words but just some letter put together. Was a nice thought but after she's saved it several years she's ready to get rid of it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Myron's Mom....7 sets of measuring cups! I had 3 sets and let one go. I understand what you mean about your mum's dishes. We get very sentimental about things that belong to our parents don't we?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
In my declutter of the attic space I had dishes from my great aunt (like a grandma to us) that mom gave me years ago. I took a picture of them sent it to my sister and asked if she wanted any, she wanted 2 pieces and I took to and sent the rest to the thrift store. I also had the dark blue glass that she has collected for a while saved 4 and out the door with the rest. (don't tell mom).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, your secret is safe with us....
taking pictures is a wonderful way of decluttering. I took pictures of some things that DD left here and she chose to keep only two of the items, the rest is in the donate pile. Either way they will be gone from here.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
DD is coming this weekend and said she would go through the bins I have set aside for her. Yay! Once those are done the garage will look so much better. Also, I want to use those bins for packing up so I don't have so much out when we put the house on the market.
Downstairs carpet is being cleaned on Monday, then I can stage the downstairs. I will have to work around DH's are area (can't talk him into putting it away for awhile).

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Miss JoDee, you are doing great on getting things decluttered.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, I can just imagine serving dinner on a Barbie plate. I wonder why they were in with the sheet music???

One thought is I thought I would remember that I put it there (I've done that several times now as I've discovered things while decluttering the basement. Sigh...:rolleyes: ) The other thought is that one of the times that the basement flooded, my dh grabbed bins and totes and tossed the plates and napkins in there so they wouldn't get wet.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Sometimes it is hard to get rid of things that have memories attached to them. I have this awful looking doll that my grandmother made for me when I was ten. It always scared me when I looked at it. It is currently in the basement in a bin. I'm still sorting through my emotions trying to figure out if I should toss it or not. I think it is the only thing I have that my grandmother made for me.

I got the snow pants to my friend and three bicycles were donated yesterday.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, my advice about the doll. If it is the only thing that you have from your grandma and you are not sure whether to keep it then keep it. You can always decide later but may regret it if you get rid of it and want it back. I would wrap it securely and store it well. I would write a small note detailing its history and put it in with the doll.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DB will come over this afternoon and take all of the donations to the charity bin. Will be pleased to have it gone.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sometimes it is hard to get rid of things that have memories attached to them. I have this awful looking doll that my grandmother made for me when I was ten. It always scared me when I looked at it. .

Do you find it scary now? Is it small enough to put in a shadow box along with a photo of your grandmother? If that that sounds good keep it. If not I see not reason to keep it. Would someone else in the family like it? You can always take a photo but not if it isn't a good memory.

Now I want to make a shadow box.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DB just left with 8 large and 1 small bag of donations plus a small box. He will drop it all off at the charity shop. There was a bag of Playstation games that he will take to the gaming shop. Apparently they may buy 2nd hand games. There were about 25 games for an old console so even at $1 each it is better than nothing.