February Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
:eek: I've been ignoring the declutter club, because I'm not proud of the decluttering I haven't been doing...

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Blue Christmas.... we will encourage you and cheer you... even if you do ONE 15-minute session a week! I... for one... hate deculttering! HATE IT! I just like the results.

I am taking a break now. I'm going to catch up on the computer. And eat something. I got A LOT done. (And there is A LOT left to do. I'm sticking with this club!)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Blue Christmas-
I haven't taken on any Decluttering projects yet for 2011. I wanted January to be simply for rest, rejuvenation, hunkering down. That kind of ran into February.

Yesterday, though- the mood struck. I started to feel the first little inklings of spring and suddenly I was in the mood to deep clean, get things aired out, and declutter.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When I first started to declutter I was just started with FlyLady. She said to declutter 27 items each day. (Now I think she say to pick your own number that you are comfortable with). She said it could be anything: used tissues, an old pen that doesn't write or a sofa or an old car in the yard. Just get rid of something each day. There were days when I counted how many items were in a little trash can just to meet my minimum. I just kept at it. It did pay off.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Blue Christmas, I am not good with decluttering, either. As SparkleNana said, even if it is just a pen that won't write and you throw it away, you are decluttering...baby steps. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
I have really worked on my house in the last two months. At first, it seemed overwhelming, but slowly, I am seeing differences in my house and my attitude toward keeping my house clean. I think the ages of our children and stages of our life greatly affect our decluttering capabilites. For instance, my youngest DD will turn 14 in about a week. Because of that, we are about to turn the corner with the toy stage. True, 14 will bring on different clutter challenges...make-up, electronics, fashion magazines, clothes and shoes, but I think the toy stages are the worst.
I took two bags of clothes to the Goodwill yesterday and two bags of books. Before, I would have saved them for a rummage sale. At this point, though, I am just ready to be rid of it. There will be more later for a rummage sale I know. I am giving things to people and donating things. It's freeing to just let go of things.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I find it really encouraging... to read your words about decluttering -- missjane and ahorsesoul! I think that Gingerbug was brilliant... to design a YEAR-LONG Decluttering Club for us! Because this IS a big... long.... job!!!

I will be working on decluttering... again.... today! There is a LIMIT to how long I can work each day! This is emotionally and mentally difficult work... for me, at least. But TRYING to do SOMETHING each day.... that seems to be keeping the momentum going... for me.

There was one suggestion that was REALLY helpful for me. It MAY have come from Flylady.com... I can't remember. The suggestion was... "Don't worry about finding the "perfect" place for everything you get rid of!" In other words... it is actually OKAY to throw away something that you MIGHT have been able to give away or sell. Waiting to get rid of things "perfectly" can by paralyzing! There will be years and years... when your home IS decluttered.... when you can spend time arranging the "perfect" way to get rid of items. For now... that kind of effort can paralyze your efforts to declutter!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
The only thing still that works for me is to set the timer for 30 minutes and go.

Even yesterday, there was a corner in my room that has become a "hot spot" (dumping ground) and the only way I tackled it was to set my cell phone alarm to go off in 30 minutes.

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
For me the most useful tip I ever got (again from FlyLady) was to use a basket while decluttering a spot...anything that doesn't belong there goes in the basket to be put away LATER! Why is this so important? Because I would find something that didn't belong in that spot and instead of continuing my decluttering there, I would take the item back to it's home and get distracted...never to return to the original project! ;)

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
You all have some really great ideas for stress free decluttering. Thanks for all your support and sharing!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Not surprisingly the ladies all have wonderful ideas/suggestions. Flylady suggest the timer also. Set a time that works for you. is it 15 min, maybe 30 and work till it goes off. Make yourself stay on task IF you are just starting to declutter, start small. Go through your drawer of pens and pitch what doens't work or is missing a top, go through a junk drawer or hit a hot spot (where things tend to pile up). put to the side what needs to go somewhere else, that can be put away in your next 15 min block. Don't try to tackle a huge project the first time.

I am behind on what i want to do in the Kitchen but I got the big stuff done, so that's the most important thing for me. I really need to wash off the decorative stuff on top of the cabinet. Still a few more days left in the month ladies.

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
My February decluttering will continue with my clothes for February.. I have 1 more closet to tackle and they will be gone.. i have been merciless when it came to getting rid of my clothes this time.. I dont care how good it looked or how new it was.. if I had not worn it, was not inclined to wear it.. or by now it just doesnt work, then it was out of here.. I have already donated over 9 bags of very good clothes.. this next closet is my sweaters and jackets.. and Im not lying its huge.. so there will be multitudes of bags again to dispose of to my local charity.. 1 room at a time and I too am setting 30 minute time frames out to not overwhelm me and discourage me..
At my local fabric shop .. i was mentioning to the lady who owns it, that I just dont have the time to sew.. that I like to sit and finish something I start, so I tend not to do any sewing on week nights after work.. she said she uses the 30 minute sewing technique like the decluttering.. either 30 minutes.. or 1 bobbin on her machine.. that is all she will sew at 1 sitting.. to not overwhelm her or make her feel that she has to Finish something.... she said it has worked for years.. and a week goes by and something is completed.. when she normally would have waited till she had a whole weekend to work on something.. so I am putting that into practice too... I think that makes a world of sense....

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great work Becky!! lots of people will be happy with what you send to the thrift shop.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Becky- I like that suggestion for setting the timer to work on a craft project. That lady is right- we tend to wait until we have a huge chunk (which, let's face it, is rare) of time and then we never do it.

And if we get our craft/sewing project done that is also decluttering because the supplies don't hang around forever.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This Club thread is so helpful!

Dakotasmamaw, piratemamaof3boys, AnnieClaus..... Yes! WHY do we want to wait until "the RIGHT time" to start a job. We want to wait until we have "enough time" and "enough energy" to finish the job! Meanwhile.... if we just allowed ourselves to set a timer and be satisfied with a chunk at a time..... !!!

It is great to read your posts... BlueChristmas, Colleen in Pa. missjane and a horsesoul. It is "validating" to read about other people's struggles with the Clutter Monster! Every post helps us all!!!

OK. The next two days have the PRIORITY of taking care of the grandsons... while their parents are away. No ACTUAL decluttering will get done..... HOWEVER... a lot of "secondary" work WILL get done.... in small bits and pieces. Making sure all the trash and recycling is out at the curb for pickup. (And tossing in whatever extra bits I see during the day!) Picking up, shining surfaces here and there, taking a moment to throw something out when I open the refrigerator, keeping the laundry moving, keeping the dishes done and put away...... ) I can keep the "routine" things from piling up... and creating a disheartening mess.

SO.... this weekend.... when the parents have returned..... IF there is anything left of me... I can make little Baby Steps towards decluttering again!!!!!!!!!

Keep hope alive!!!!! HURRAY FOR OUR CLUB!!!!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Another tip (courtesy of Gretchen Rubin of the Happiness Project) recently discovered that has made a huge improvement in my life in the decluterring realm:

The one minute rule:
If you can do a task in one minute or less- go ahead and do it right then and there.

This has really helped me in putting my work clothes away when I get home. Now I can walk into a picked up room instead of by Friday a pile of clothes that need to be sorted and dealt with.

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Another tip (courtesy of Gretchen Rubin of the Happiness Project) recently discovered that has made a huge improvement in my life in the decluterring realm:

The one minute rule:
If you can do a task in one minute or less- go ahead and do it right then and there.

I agree, Annie! I keep finding myself saying...it'll only take a minute - DO IT NOW! What a difference that has made!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is a PEFECT reminder of how important it IS to do those one-minute jobs! I am inspired to get up and do some.... NOW!

Last edited:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL

The one minute rule:

I agree, it makes such a difference! So many times I walk back into a room to take care of something I had said I'd do "later"...we all know "later" doesn't come, until it's too late and there's an overwhelming mound of things to do.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Such a great point and reminder, one minute, do it now! I have been bad about that before. I go and litterally throw sometime (Ie at trash can) and it falls on the floor and I say "I"ll get it later" REally?? How lazy is that to not pick it up now and deal w/ it. I am really getting better at that now.