February Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm surprised by how many little things I leave undone. Not putting a pen away, leaving out the can opener. Now that I'm using the one minute rule it has made a difference.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'm surprised by how many little things I leave undone. Not putting a pen away, leaving out the can opener. Now that I'm using the one minute rule it has made a difference.

Love it! I need to get Ken doing this! lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Shannon- Ha Ha! I have done the same thing! I'll throw cotton balls into the trash and miss and think the same thing!
One day- I decided to walk around and see how many "one minute or under" tasks there were- quite a few. That's the day I decided to really take the one minute rule seriously.

Like go through the mail, every night I now say, "It will take you less than a minute to go through it, get rid of the junk mail, put the important stuff where it needs to go." This is another task I would leave until the weekends and then it was a big pile sitting on my dining room table.
Annie

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm inspired by SN and all the paperwork she's been diving into. I'm in the Scrap Studio/Office knee deep in paper. If it was scrap paper it would be so much more fun than bills and records.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Ahorsesoul... it is definitely NOT fun (for me) to do paperwork! One good thing.... you CAN do it sitting down. So... it takes more "emotional/mental energy" than "physical energy".

Right now.... I am finding it strangely rewarding to do bits of "fixing up/making look nice" of areas that I am NOT currently decluttering. Just making things "look nice"... just for the family... not for guests. It's nice... right now.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I really got a lot done. Shredded a whole bag full of stuff. Nice thing is the trash people didn't come today (one day late due to the snow storm on Monday) so I'll be able to get the trash I made today out of the house.

Going to declutter the refrig for dinner. Anything left will hit the trash too. This will leave tomorrowopen for a ME day.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Here's a story-
I used to take minutes at a weekly meeting. Instead of filing the minutes away- I would just stack them in a drawer. The drawer got filled, so then I began stacking them in a 2nd drawer. One day my boss asked to look at a set of the minutes from a certain date. I stalled him and secretly panicked thinking about all those minutes stacked in my office drawers.

That night- I came into the office and laid all the minutes out on the conference table, made file labels and got them all filed away. It took about 3 hours of my time on an evening to do that.

Moving forward from there I would right away, after the minutes were typed up, make a file folder and file them away. It was so ridiculous- and literally took less than 60 seconds to make a lable and file that week's minutes away.

I have read that filing is one of the most hated tasks of office workers. In fact, I even belonged to an online group called the: I hate filing club- ha ha!
Annie

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Sparkle Nana, I loved your comment about not having to find the perfect place to give things to. I have things I have held onto for years because someone might need it some day.

Only recently...in the last 4 months or so...I have given myself "PTP" days - permission to purge. I do not care who gave it to me, how much it cost, how much I can sell it for, how long I've had it, that it is a toaster (of whatever) and doesn't need to go to the landfill...what do you do with appliances and such that don't work anymore, anyway???? We don't have recycling in our area or I would gladly recyle.
I either bag it and take it to the goodwill store or throw.it.out. on that day! I feel like a new woman!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
After lunch... I am going back to paperwork. You can do it sitting down... and all my "physical energy" has to go to the grandsons today. Sitting, staring at TV and sorting papers.... sounds delicious!!!!!!!!

I WILL keep a big trash bag handy... for those times when I HAVE TO move around th3e house. I can muster enough energy to throw things in!!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have to go through the big garbage bags filled with toys that are sitting on my back deck. We pulled them out of the roof space last week end and decided that we did not need to keep them anymore. A friend is having an Easter Fair at her child's school and would love they toys for her jumble table, so I have to clean them all up and then out they go.

It helps me get rid of the clutter and helps her by raising funds for the school.
Another WIN-WIN.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I like Annies 1 minute rule.

Also like Becky's advice. (I should come see if I can wear the clothes for work and buy them~~~LOL)

I have not did the laundry room cabinets (mini focus) or started the craft room for the Feb. decluttering room.

BUT.....my bedroom is staying in order and I make my bed daily. Use to be a hit and miss thing.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Whether we do a little... or do a lot.... we are always moving forward!!!!!
Sweetpumpkinpye.... good job at getting rid of toys AND finding a way to bless others!
Lana... CONGRATULATIONS of your new habits!!!!!!
Cmerth... it is great that you are feeling well enough to jump back on!!!!
Missjane.... hurray for those PTP Days!
AnnieClaus... that was a GREAT story!!!
Ahorsesoul.... you are really doing good!!!!

TODAY......... I will do "routines"... and some paperwork.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just think that we all deserve a great slap on the back. It is really hard to stick with things, real life gets in the way, and then we find it too hard to get back on track.
But we are sticking to this. Even though it is slow going, there is no date that it needs to be finished. If we have a week off..so what.
I for one am very happy with how our little declutter club is going.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I took a big, heavy bag of books to the Thrift Shop today.... including some Christmas books. (I still have lots!) AND... I DID bring home an outfit that I bought at the great Thrift Shop..... HOWEVER...... I DID get more out of the house than I brought in. AND.... I haven't been to the Thrift Shop since early December. AND, thanks to our wonderful Declutter Club, I have gotten tons of stuff out the door in these two months!

Now..... I have rested and read the posts.... so I will go work on paperwork. Sigh.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The band is playing. The wagon is starting to roll. Come one. Come all, to the Declutter Club. Jump right on.