February Magical Moment # 2 Card Sentiments

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
February Magical Moment # 2 Card Sentiments

In this day of ecards and text messaging, the art of sending cards is quickly fading. A few years ago when I invested more than I care to mention in Stampin Up products, my daughter and I decided to make cards each month to send to several older relatives. Each month we picked a holiday or a just thinking of you sentiment to send out to three or four people. It was a fun project and I think it was fun for the receivers to see what we had come up with for that month.

For cards are more about sentiment than price. A fifty cent card from the dollar store can convey a message, as eloquently as the 3.99 card. Cards say "I'm thinking of you" or "You're special". So although millions of Valentine's will be bought and sent here shortly, make it a 2008 goal to send some cards "just because". I think you will enjoy the process and I think others receiving your cards will be delighted.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love the project that you did with your daughter. :love: I can't wait until my 2yo is old enough for such things.

Great idea about the cards. Thanks for the inspiration.

Blessings,
Lisa

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
"heartstrings: I was raised by my grandmother and she taught me to send homemade Valentines Day to all the people I cared for to show them they were loved. I tend to send almost as many as I do at Christmas (this year 40 sent). I rubber stamp them with lots of glitter and confetti inside. Many of my friends tell me they look forward to these cards almost as much as my Christmas cards! Living here in bleak New England, February is one of our coldest and dreariest months so this bit of color arriving in the mailbox is a ray of sunshine before spring!
~wadeallie

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I love that idea, gingerbug! You are right that writing cards/letters is becoming a thing of the past and that is sad. Our world has become so impersonal in many respects, I think. I will set that challenge for myself this year and include my kids in it too.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
$3.99? Cards are often more than that here. I usually expect $4.99 plus tax. It is cheaper to make your own cards. In the last couple of years, I've taken to buying the blank cards and adding my own sentiments. But since I don't have any real Valentine ones, I should try making some. :love:

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
You're so right about us losing the practice of sending cards, thank you notes, and letters. I'm embarassed to admit that I'm one who sent a quick email instead of the "old" practice. My DMIL is a fanatic about sending and receiving notes and cards, and over the past 6 years or so I've gotten back in the habit, largely because of her.

I now enjoy making a card that says exactly what I want it to convey to the recipient. And, since I've gotten back in the habit, it's not just junk mail I receive daily now!

I do have to admit that I type my letters instead of writing in my own hand. I type much faster than I write - and I'm sure they are able to read it better!!

Gingerbug I was thinking the same thing the other day about not receiving cards in the mail but receiving them in my email inbox. Especially since I moved away from NY I feel that emails do not truly show how special all my friends are to me.

I actually bought a ton of holiday notecards on clearance last year and I plan on sending some out for Christmas in July this year. I will have to work on the kids etting involved to make cards for their dad's side of the family in NY along with my mom and sisters who still live in NY. I think all of the family members will LOVE it!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I still send out several cards and hand written letters. I do e-mails too. After my in-laws passed away in '95 (6 months apart) I knew what cards can do. So I send for several reasons. I would love to get into the stamping. I think BUT...