February Movie: White Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hope everyone has enjoyed this classic film....and if you haven't had time to see it yet, don't keep reading. There could be spoilers here!

White Christmas is truly one of those great holiday classics that we come back to year after year. We embrace those classics like old friends, happy that they've once again returned to be part of our holiday magic. But what is it that makes these movies so special that we don't mind watching them for the tenth time....maybe the tenth time in one week? Why do some films fade by the wayside while others continue to delight us generation after generation?

Perhaps they're a nod to a simpler time gone by, yet new holiday classics quickly find their way into our hearts and traditions. Is it an emotional link, a sense of nostalgia? Perhaps a glimpse of that perfect Christmas we've never quite been able to attain.

Here are a few basic questions for anyone who wants to answer as we go along:

1. Favorite Character?
2. Favorite Scene?
3. Favorite Quote(s)?
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? (Maybe there is a tradition in the movie, i.e. caroling that you'd love to start with your own children. Maybe you've always found one house particularly homey - what decorations are they using? Could you do the same?)

1. Favorite Character? Bob Wallace
2. Favorite Scene? When Judy tries to convince Phil to fake the engagement
3. Favorite Quote(s)?

I want you to get married. I want you to have nine children. And if you only spend five minutes a day with each kid, that's forty-five minutes, and I'd at least have time to go out and get a massage or something.

In some ways, you're far superior to my cocker spaniel.

4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? Still thinking....
:bigsnow:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
White Christmas is one of my favorite movies. I watch it all year long! It's hard to narrow some of this down!

1. Favorite Character? Danny Kaye's character
2. Favorite Scene? The sisters' act in the club where Bing and Danny dress up and play the girls...
3. Favorite Quote(s)? "Vermont should be beautiful this time of year...all that snow..."
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? (Maybe there is a tradition in the movie, i.e. caroling that you'd love to start with your own children. Maybe you've always found one house particularly homey - what decorations are they using? Could you do the same?) I want that lodge! I love the way it looks with all the windows and the round fireplace in the floor....lovely!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
White Christmas is one of my favorite movies. I watch it all year long! It's hard to narrow some of this down!

2. Favorite Scene? The sisters' act in the club where Bing and Danny dress up and play the girls...
3. Favorite Quote(s)? "Vermont should be beautiful this time of year...all that snow..."
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? (Maybe there is a tradition in the movie, i.e. caroling that you'd love to start with your own children. Maybe you've always found one house particularly homey - what decorations are they using? Could you do the same?) I want that lodge! I love the way it looks with all the windows and the round fireplace in the floor....lovely!

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Cathymac said:

I saw the movie & I have to agree with what cathymac picked, I thought the two of them being dressed up as woman was so funny. We laughted so hard when we saw them.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
1. Favorite Character? The sister played by Rosemary Clooney.
2. Favorite Scene? When the colnel comes down the stairs in his uniform and he and his granddaughter walk into the main hall where all of his soldiers greet him.
3. Favorite Quote(s)? I love this movie but cannot think of a single quote. :slap:
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? There's an area on the Maryland/Pennsylvania line called Deep Creek. They have beautiful homes that you can rent anytime of the year. I'd love to stay at one of the log cabins there during Christmas and have it all decorated.

midwife

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I love "White Christmas" and watch scenes from it throughout the year.

Favorite character: Vera Ellen as Judy (oh, that tiny waist!)
Favorite scene: "Gee, I wish I was back in the army!"
I also love the scene where Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen are dancing to "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing". It is seamless.
Favorite quote: I also like the "nine children" quote.
What I'd like to incorporate into my own Christmas: Those gorgeous red and white gowns in the last scene of the movie!!!!!! ;-) chick3

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Favorite Character? rosemary clooneys character
2. Favorite Scene? The end where the ladies are dressed in the red velvet drsses and Rosemary Clooney is behind the Christmas tree.
3. Favorite Quote(s)?
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? The last scene with the red and white dresses. I would LOVE to have a Christmas celebration with all of us arrayed like they were.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
1. Favorite Character? Bob Wallace (Bingo was soooo cute!)

2. Favorite Scene? I have two, when General Waverly comes into his reunion and is all teary eyed, and then ofcourse the last scene where they open the Inn doors too a beautiful snowy New England scene!

3. Favorite Quote(s)? Danny Kaye: My friend, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting whatever it is you've got left.
4. What would I like to incorporate (if anything) into my own Christmas? (Maybe there is a tradition in the movie, i.e. caroling that you'd love to start with your own children. Maybe you've always found one house particularly homey - what decorations are they using? Could you do the same?) I would love to go to New England for a nice weekend in early December. I need to be home for Christmas, but would love to enjoy the season there for a few days.

This is just the best movie ever!!!!
Kelly :bigsnow: