Festive Faery Fete

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Every year the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend....I host a brunch and ornament exchange for a group of about 12 friends. It varies a bit based on who can make it...So this year...the theme is...

Festive Faery Fete:

I love faeries and I am going to decorate the room with aqua, that bright green (almost lime) and purple...I'm going to drape tulle in those colors over the table and hang ornaments in mathcing colors from it.

I will also decorate a small tree in a faery theme

The food will be FRENCH (hence fete) or at least my version of French...and no I am not having French Toast...that's what all my friends think we are having but NO....that's not the menu...I'll come back later and let you know the final menu decisions.

Still working on ideas for a center piece....hmmm.....

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Something like this .... as far as color scheme....but smaller tree stuff because my tree for the kitchen/dining area is much smaller...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ginger the colors are beautiful! would love to hear more about the menu. How many people will be invited? women? children? men?
Seems like alot of fun.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
There are about 12 of us...all women...its our "girls group" lol

I am thinking something like the tree or candle would be a good table centerpiece....in the aqua/purple/green color scheme...

:snowman2:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I am loving this Ginger!

I have a pastel green/pink/blue colour scheme for my kid's Christmas tree. It is only a small table top one at the moment, but when they get a bit older I'll replace it with a bigger one. It has a cool fairy/angel on top and butterfly ornaments :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Thanks jinglemom....I do so enjoy doing the special little touches that make a party fun.

Everyone is abuzz about the ornaments they have for the exchange...I have to dig mine out...bought it last year after Christmas....lol.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks jinglemom....I do so enjoy doing the special little touches that make a party fun.

Everyone is abuzz about the ornaments they have for the exchange...I have to dig mine out...bought it last year after Christmas....lol.

Ginger exactly how does the exchange work? Does everyone buy 12 ornaments to exchange or do they each buy 1? If it's just 1 then how do they decide who gets which one?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
We each buy one and then we play Rob Your Neighbor. We draw numbers and number one goes first...she unwraps an ornament. Then number two goes...she can either "steal" the one from number one or she can unwrap a new ornament....and so on.

:santa3:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Diggin in the ornaments bought after Christmas last year I found the little green ones...and I picked up the jingle bell garland at Dollar tree....I need to buy a couple more strands of it...thought it was individual bells but its like a garland...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I found it.....the perfect Festive Faery center piece and in the right colors too....at Walgreens....

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's the menu:

Yougurt shots: I'm going to use vanilla yogurt and try coloring it purple or aqua or lime green, then add fruit and granola!

Baked Monte Cristo Sandwiches

Crepes with Fruit

Fairy Bread

Mimosas, Coffee, Bloody Marys, and/or Orange Juice

:clothes:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
They are traditional ham and turkey sandwiches with cheese and they are fried individually but I found a recipe to bake them...not sure they are healthier but easier to do for a larger group.

I'm going to use my Christmas cookie cutters to make some fairy bread also

From Australia.....butter spread with butter and topped with 100s and 1000s!! (also know as sprinkles!)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ginger - What fun! Another question about the exchange. Can the person who gets to decide to rob a gift choose from anyone who has already opened their gift or just the person who went before them? At work one year, we added a twist that the first person (because of the lousy luck of the draw) could have the final word and it was announced that person could then choose to steal a gift. This was great fun because no one expected it and the first person had the entire pick of the gift lot. If a gift was stolen, that person then received what number one had.

Do any of your guests make handmade ornaments?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
You can "steal" from anyone EXCEPT the person that just stole from you...if that makes sense. At some places we played where number 1 got the "pick" but I have to admit I'm not much of a fan of that approach....not sure why. LOL

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I finally found a small package of ornaments at Dollar General that are in the colors I wanted. The picture doesn't show the colors very well....the green is much nicer than it looks like...The ornaments aren't the tiny ones but they aren't big either. I think they will work very well on the silver tree I am going to use.

The tree sort of reminds me of a Charlie Brown tree because the branches aren't really full. It is an older silver tree that I bought at the flea market a couple years ago. I think it will work....I'll take a picture of it once it's decorated ...maybe in the next few days because I am anxious to see how it looks...I saw some wonderful purple clip on ornaments (sort of like thise spike like things) at Walmart that would add some depth and fullness....if they aren't too big and overpowering....BUT I forgot to pick a few up....going out again today so maybe I'll see some somewhere else that might work. I really like those because they had clips on them so they would be easy to attach. If I could find some in a slightly smaller version it would be great!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Found these on clearance at Michaels while shopping today...they have little clips on them so I can clip them in the branches of the faery tree....

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'll need to update with details about the brunch. It went very well... :)

I also want to share the monte crisco snadwich recipes as everyone raved about it!!