Filling the freezer..........

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I was talking with my kids and we all agreed, there are just some days when we don't want to cook, it is too hot to cook, or too tired to cook. So we are planning a day of cooking freezer meals, to make it fun. I thought "I bet there are freezer cooking threads on this forum:.........and sure enough I found some from a few years ago!!!

So far we have come up with pre made breakfast burritos, egg/sausage mcmuffins, I make lentil tacos, my daugther wants some lentils seasoned for tacos to take home. I saw many recipes here to suggest to them also. I am thinking lasagna too.......maybe smaller pans. Something to make pizza's? My daughter is brainstorming this one. Of course son and husband want meatloaf, but I don't think it would last in there long.........

So if you gals have any suggestions, I would love to hear what works for you and maybe what doesn't work.......?

Thanks, Laurie

2021 Joy

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have had success with good old chicken pot pie. I make the and freeze the mixture. When I pull it out of the freezer I then make small pies for DH and myself. Often we will just heat the mixture and serve it with extra veggies.
There are also some great ideas that the ladies share in the weekly menus thread. there was a wonderful Chicken, rice and broccoli recipe that had cream chicken soup and sour cream. I made this and it was a real hit.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Because I'm a household of one, when I make lasagna, I make it in the small foil bread pans and freeze all but one (for immediate use). I get a dinner and lunch the next day from a pan that size. Just remember to pull from the freezer with enough time to thaw. If still frozen in the middle or cold, you'll need to increase the baking time.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Taco Meat in family size and single serve portions
Sloppy Joe meat in family size and single serve portions
Meatballs (beef, turkey and chicken parm)
chicken breast sliced into sandwich size , cut up chicken pieces into chunks and strips seasons, cooked, flash frozen and placed into freezer bags.
Stuffed shells
mini meatloaf (baked in the mini loaf pans)
Pancakes, and waffles flash frozen and placed into freezer bag

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When I cook I usually try for one or two extra servings. These I put in small containers for one serving. So I always have frozen leftovers. Makes it nice since everyone can pick something different for dinner. I have found I need to get the leftover part into the freezer before I eat because if its really good the extra servings disappear. 286B4304-90FD-4782-9FDA-2AC7A72055B1.jpeg

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Broth based soups freeze wonderfully.
Spaghetti sauce.
I adopted the Pioneer woman's way of freezing sauces/broths in zip lock bags and laying them flat.
Takes up a lot less room in the freezer!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I adopted the Pioneer woman's way of freezing sauces/broths in zip lock bags and laying them flat.
Takes up a lot less room in the freezer!
I do the same, also frees up your containers for other things.