First Block Party of 2010!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
THe first block party is in the works! AND -- I don't have to be in charge of this one! Another family on our block is organizing it -- because their son wants a "block party" for his birthday party!!! Isn't that great?

The parents are going to have the cake and extra things at their home, after the block party ends! AND - the birthday boy's "rock band" is going to play music for the block party. (There are dads in the band too!)

It is going to be on May 8 - Rain Date May 9th! And, of course, I am going to do lots to make sure this party is lots of fun! I love these block parties!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
How fun SN! I am hoping we can get into a neighbrohood that has that kind of feeling. We have great neighbors, but a lot of them keep to them selves.

What types of things will you do to make the event extra fun, SN?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wouhou! great party to have! Don't forget to give us tons of details!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
sounds nice.i have a lot of older neighbors so they keep to-themselves -stay in a lot. hope you have fun

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Housewife2 - yep, I know what you mean! there are a lot of people in our neighborhood who hve NEVER come to a block party! It is just NOT their thing! It is WONDERFUL if you can move into a neighborhood where these parties are ALREADY established. If not.... as long as you get ONE other person to work with you -- you can start building these traditions!

I remember that when I first moved into this neighborhood -- I dropped off nice invitations to a Halloween Open House to about a dozen neighbors. Not only did NO ONE show up..... NO BODY even took the trouble to RSVP. Ove time.... some of those people moved away.... some died...... and I made friends with a neighbor who wanted to have Block Parties! NOW..... finally..... they are a beloved tradition. Now..... everybody just knows "what to do to make it be great!

KimLovesSnow... the most crucial thing seems to be..... INSIST that people bring MAIN DISH TYPE SUBSTANTIAL FOOD! Everybody wants t do what is easy..... whicoh is "chips and dips" or "brownies from a mix". When you are standing outside for a couple of hours..... perhaps drinking "adult beverages".... you MUST HAVE good, solid real food in your stomach! Otherwise.... you get woozy and sick and get a headache!

Another thing is -- take the trouble to make things look festive. Put tablecloths (or bedsheets) on the tables. AND - bunches of flowers (in vases) from the gardens. Ask people to bring out candles. And.... try to get plenty of chairs.... so people can sit down --- instead of leaving --- when they get tired.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Have lots to comment on, just out of time for right now. I will be back later though....

Blessings,
Lisa

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WARNING: I AM GOING TO RANT!

I am annoyed and frustrated. OK -- here is my rant.

As you know, our block has been having block parties for about 30 years (all organized by me.) Naturally --- over the years, I have seen what works... and what is a disaster. By now, we are down to things that do work -- and the block parties are fabulous fun!!!

A family with two boys, almost 10 and 14, lives up the street. The almost-10 year old is charming, adorable, lovable. His birthday is next weekend. And -- he told his mother that he wanted to have a Block Party for his birthday. (I thought that was wonderful.)

So - the mom asked me how to get the permission to close the street. I printed out the forms, and a couple of pages of notes of how things had worked well, and put them through her mail slot. (She has gone to MANY of these block parties over the years. But -- if you aren't actually doing the work -- I guess you don't really pay attention to all the behind-the-scenes work.)

Then... the mom kind of waited for me to make up the "block party notices". (We use them as invitations -- and also, post them on telephone poles as notices. I didn't move very quickly... and a few days ago, the Mom sent out "email party invitations" to the guests for her son's 10th birthday party. (Which will be AT the Block Party).

When I talked with the mom a couple of weeks ago, she had said that SHE would arrange to place tables and chairs in the street beside HER house. And that she would invite the entire families of the 10-year old boy birthday guests to come to the birthday party/Block Party. And -- cake and ice cream would be inside her house --- NOT for everyone in the neighborhood who came to the block party -- but just for the 10-year-old boy guests at the party.

THEN - today - the mom said that she had decided that the birthday guests and their families would bring their one-dish pot luck contribution into HER house. And that the tables and chairs should be set up at the other end of the street in front of my house (by me.)

So -- today I printed up the Block Party notices/invitations -- and got them duplicated on colored paper at Kinkos. (I showed the birthday Dad the notice -- and he asked that something be added to the notice. (Namely: that a "rock band" including the birthday boy and his older brother -- would play in front of THEIR house at 6:00. Okey-dokey. I made the changes and printed up the notices.)

Now -- here is my dilemma and why this is a RANT!

The birthday boy goes to the local elementary school -- and his birthday guests AND their families have been to MANY annual block parties, in the street in front of our house. There are tables with food and tables with drinks -- lots of chairs -- everyone has a great time.

The birthday families (maybe 15 families) are invited to bring their one-dish food contribution INTO the birthday house. Cake, and hot dogs and hamburgers will be prepared IN THE HOUSE by the birthday Dad. Meanwhile, the usual tables are set up in the usual block party place -- down the block in front of my house.

The birthday guests have been told to bring water pistols to the party -- and there will be a big, running, water-gun battle -- around the creek, which is next to my house. So the kids will be OUT of the birthday house -- and down by my house -- where the regular food tables and drink tables are set up as always.

When the Block Party is in full swing -- I imagine that the 15 birthday party families will walk down the street to where their block parties have always been. And -- grab some wine or some beers -- and see what looks good on the food tables and make up a plate and enjoy themselves -- as they do every year. And watch their kids having fun around the creek. And talking to friends and neighbors that they haven't seen over the winter. THIS is what they ALWAYS do at Block Parties.

HOWEVER -- these 15 families have NOT been asked to bring beverages -- and their one-pot food offering is up the street inside the birthday house. So.... they will be enjoying food and drink as they always do, in their regular spot -- but we will be SHORT the contributions of food and drink from 15 families!!!!!

So - I AM FREAKING OUT.

I will TRY to write a very cordial email to the Birthday Mom -- asking her about the food & drink issue. Remember -- I absolutely adore the birthday boy and I do NOT want to do anything to cause stress to his parents and spoil his birthday.

THANK YOU for listening to the RANT.

Over years of experience -- I have found that you must SPELL OUT what you want people to bring to the block party. In the early years -- when we said "Bring a dish to share" -- we got 10 bags of potato chips with onion dip, a box of macaroni and cheese cooked up, and 10 boxes of fudge brownie mix baked up. NOT a good dinner!

I learned that you MUST spell out: Singles & couples: Bring a Main Dish to serve 8. Families: bring a Main Dish AND a SALAD to serve 8. EVERYONE bring beverages to share: soda, lemonade, beer, wine, water. And bring paper plates, cups, utensils, napkins to share.

OK.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
SparkleNana,

You have a reason to rant. Having all the food from those families go into one house while they will be all over the street is not fair. You are right - most of the time you have to spell it out to people.

I hope you can get things figured out.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
You have every reason to rant. What a mess! The mother surely didn't handle that well at all. I agree that the food should be at the block party not their house....

I hope it all works out well.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
SN keep us posted about what happened, I think you have every right to rant.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gee SN what a mess. I really hope that is turns out as you hope.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is Monday, May 3rd. And the Block Party will be over by NEXT Monday, May 10th. And --- hopefully --- everyone will have a wonderful time!!!

I will fill you in on yesterday's developments. And. .... please keep in mind that I love the Birthday Boy (10) and want him to have a fabulous party! And.... also please keep in mind that the birthday Mom and Dad are wonderful people -- who work really hard at their jobs -- and work really, really hard at being good, loving parents!! (The Dad is always coach to whatever sports team his two boys join The Mom was PTA President. Etc. etc.)

OK. First.... yesterday I spoke to one of my close friends..... and asked her "to give me her wise perspective on this situation". (Her own 10-year old boy is invited to the birthday party.) My friend said, "The birthday Mom is one of the most generous people ever. Just tell her about your two concerns, and I know that she will take care of everything."

Sunday afternoon/evening, the birthday Mom and Dad had taken their sons' band out to perform at a childrens' festival. (The parents are very devoted!) And the birthday Mom didn't get home until 9:00 last night. So.... while I spent the afternoon distributing Block Party notices, I thought how to best present my two concerns.

I sent an email to the birthday Mom, saying that two questions had come up.

(1) When I was handing out block party notices, one 10-year old said "Oh WOW!!! ______ (the birthday boy) is having a block party that day! TWO block parties in one day!" I explained that it was one big block party. THEN the 10-year old asked "Well, can any kid bring a water gun for the water gun fight? Or just the kids invited to the birthday party?" So that was the first question.

(2) The second question that I posted to the birthday Mom -- was about the families who had been asked to bring ONE dish (and NO beverages) to the birthday house. I asked what the birthday Mom thought we should do about "having enough food and beverages" when the "birthday people" walked down the block to join their other friends and neighbors at the "traditional outside block party location"? (Since the birthday families had NOT been asked to bring beverages and food to the block party -- only to bring one dish - inside the house - to the birthday party.)

So -- TWO questions that had come up while handing out block party notices (handing out notices is REQUIRED by the county, if you are having a block party!)

The birthday Mom sent me an email back last night. With her answers to the two questions.

1- Birthday Mom said that ANY kid could bring a water gun to the "Block Party". BUT -- nobody could use the water gun until all the band equipment had been put back inside the house, after the bands' 6:00 performance!

2- About the food and beverages for the Block Party: The Birthday Mom wrote "since each family is bringing ONE dish into the Birthday House, we could 'spread that food' between the Birthday House and the actual outside Block Party tables.' "

The birthday Mom went on to write that she could not remember WHO she had invited to the Birthday Party!!!!!

She then wrote: "We will have to see how it all works out."

EXCUSE ME?????

(Of course, I DID NOT write a response to the email.) Remember -- I want the birthday boy to have a fabulous party! And I ALWAYS want everyone to have a fabulous time at the Block Party!

"We will have to see how things work out!!!"

****O?

I KNOW HOW THINGS WORK OUT!!!!! (Thirty years of setting up Block Parties, remember?")

Lots of wonderful food and abundant varieties and amounts of beverages --- A WONDERFUL PARTY! People feel "cared for" and relax and settle in to savor a great evening.

Not enough food -- and nothing "good and substantial" for dinner? And not enough drinks? (Temperatures are in the NINETIES! People need to drink TONS of water and juices AND some of them enjoy drinking wine or beer at a party!!!!! Not enough of things to drink leads to dehydration and headaches and crying children and cranky adults!)

Sigh!

Well..... I always think that I would LOVE to have a big party at Christmas. (But my house is very little.) I was thinking about trying an "Open House"..... with staggered hours.

INSTEAD........ I guess that I will put all those efforts into arranging lots of extra food and drink for the Block Party this weekend! (I am happy to celebrate Christmas at any time during the year!)

I saw spiral-cut honey baked ham on sale for $1.79 a pound yesterday. Big frozen turkeys are available. I can cook a turkey, the ham and a big tub of baked beans. I can make cole slaw. I can provide the big "party tub" that I already have, full of ice and bottles of wine. (I can usually find decent wine on sale for $5 a bottle). I'll get the big gallon containers of spring water. And -- I'll get the plates, napkins, plastic forks and plastic cups. (And put out a recycling container for the plastics and glass.)

This is money that I WOULD be spending anyway to entertain my neighborhood friends at Christmas. AND.... I HAVE saved the money.... thanks to our MHH!!!

So..... I think the birthday Mom will be quite pleased to see that everything does work out beautifully! And I will be pleased to see that, once again, everyone had a wonderful time at the Block Party! AND - HOPEFULLY - the birthday boy will feel that he had the best birthday ever!!!!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Geez SN,... seems you're the one ending up doing the block part.... remember you were supposed to be only a guest this year?? and the cost to all this!! Glad you're taking it the right way... not sure I would.... (mutter, mutter, mutter)

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Wow, they may be a great family, but it sure seems like she is taking a ride on your back for this one....just my opinion.....she should have had the birthday party on another date.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for the kind words, guys! Cipalla - I DO get really tired because there is a lot of work! Luludou - yep! I went back and read the first post... I WAS supposed to be a guest. NOW I really see the advantage of writing down what was said at a meeting.... and sending a copy off to the other person... in a really sweet way. Then it would be there in black and white -- and changes would OBVIOUSLY be changes. Live and learn!

So.... this morning, at the grocery store, I got ready-made small crescent rolls. 25 rolls for $2.50. (I bought 50 -- and I think I'll get more.) I can slice and butter them -- and put them out with the sliced turkey and sliced ham for sandwiches. They also had wine for $5 a bottle -- and if you buy three, you get a rebate for $9. (Limit one per household.) They also had the huge bags of tortilla chips and good quality potato chips for half price = $2 a bag. I KNOW that I get mad when people bring a bag of chips as their contribution -- BUT that is when they don"t bring any real "main dish food" -- JUST the chips. People can bring as many EXTRAS as they like -- as long as they bring real food too.

I have stashed these things in the corner of my office/guest room. BUT they won't be there long..... they will all be gone this weekend!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
SparkleNana,

You are a better person than I am because I would not be as gracious as you are being about this situation.

I know everyone will have a good time because of you and all that you are doing.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
SparkleNana- I commend your attitude and how you're handling all this!

I really, truly have the belief that people that do not host events- they have NO CLUE what it really takes to organize and get everything together.

But, I hope that with your jumping in and fixing the problems you will be able to sit back on Saturday and enjoy yourself!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
SN you must be an angel. I would be really put out with how all this has turned out. It is unfair when you have to rectify a situation that was not your doing just so another will not be hurt. I know that you adore this little boy and will not see him disappointed. I just hope that the mum gives credit where it is due and realises how much work you have put in to make "her" party a success.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SN - I think you should make the BDay mom aware of the extra prep you are doing - in a sweet way of course and strongly suggest, encourage, outright ask that she contribute some coolers of water, juice, ice, etc. so that her guests have plenty of fluid to stay hydrated. Make it a "between the two of us we'll make sure everyone is well taken care of" type thing. Hopefully she'll step up to the plate once you help her to understand that this is not the traditional block party and many of her guests will not be thinking about contributing but none the less fun will be had by all! And, by the way, who asks guests to a child's birthday party to bring a dish?!?!?!?!