First Christmas Wrapping Day 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
1660783439170.jpeg

CIJ is behind us and the 'BER months are in front of us. Time to really think about getting organised for Christmas 2022.

The theme for this wrapping party is Preparation.

*Do you use special paper to wrap? Do you choose a colour scheme or use paper that you have on hand?
If you use a specific colour theme, have you got an idea of what this years colours will be? Will it be traditional or modern? Will you need to order paper?

*Do you have enough sticky tape, need new scissors or storage totes?
Now is the time to purchase supplies and take advantage of the back to school sales.

*Do you need ribbons, gift tags or gift bags? Use the time now to think about what you will wrap gifts in and how you will trim them.
Make notes in your planner and keep an eye out for Christmas items in the shops. They will start appearing very soon.

*Will you use reusable cloth gift bags? If you need more you have time to buy some fabric and run some up.

*Where will you wrap? Do you have a dedicated wrapping area or will you need to create one?
Where will you store your supplies so that they are easily to hand? There are many ideas to be found for storing papers, ribbons and bags.
Start gathering your items and store them in a central location. Then when you are ready to wrap you will have all that you need on hand.

Please list below some of your ideas on your wrapping plans for 2022.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
To be honest wrapping gifts is one of my least favourite Christmas chores so the earlier I am prepared the better I like it.

A story, Many years ago I hurt my back quite severely in the lead up to Christmas, I could hardly move and I was basically confined to bed. I had visions of poor DH just tossing the kids presents under the tree and letting them fend for themselves. My Mum came over and did a marathon wrapping day while the kids were at school and managed to get all the gifts wrapped. I vowed that I would never leave it to the last minute again. When I joined MHH a few years later one of the first things I saw was the wrapping party dates and knew that I have found my Christmas home.

I use a combination of gift bags and wrapping paper, it just depends on the size and shape of the gift. I have never used a colour theme as such, always just used the paper I have on hand. I love the chaos of the brightly wrapped gifts under the tree.
In the last few years DH has used cloth gifts bags for my gifts. He is not a fan of wrapping and is not very good at it so the cloth bags helps him make the job easier. I think as my stash of Christmas paper decreases I will use more reusable gift bags.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have gone to using the Santa bags after reading about them here. I do not wrap what I put in them. Family just reach in, looking away from the bag and pull out a gift. So gift unwrapping goes much faster with less clean up. Learning to love it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I use a combination of gift wrap and decorated boxes. The boxes look beautiful under the tree, even if they are empty. In years past, everyone had their own paper which did away with the need for gift tags but I think I may mix it up this year. I have some wrapping paper left over from last year so I'll use that up and go from there.

I wish I had a dedicated wrapping area! I do keep my supplies in a red tote (tape, tags, scissors, ribbon) which I can just put next to my desk and get to work. I have tended to use sheer ribbon lately with which you can make extravagant bows and then just re-roll the ribbon to use again. I think this year I will experiment with some embellishments - reusable bits and pieces that I'm sure I have in my stash.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have two totes, one is the flat kind that rolls under a bed, the other is a stand-up one that the rolls stand on their end in and the top doubles as a trashcan when removed, that I keep my Christmas wrapping supplies in. I usually wrap on the dining table. I used to wrap on a bed until I cut a hole in the comforter one year. Yikes! I've also wrapped on my snack bar.

I wrap some and use gift bags. I've been trying to use up the gift bags because I bought a BUNCH several years ago. I'm ready for some new ones! lol I tend to stay with traditional colors when I buy wrapping supplies, so they can be used from one year to the next if I have supplies left from the previous year. I haven't liked the color themes/patterns in the stores the last couple of year, so I've been thankful to have some leftover. I wait and buy at the after clearance sales - another reason I tend to stay more traditional. Trendy is okay, but if it's in one year, it usually isn't the next...guess I'm a practical girl.

About 5 years ago, DH left my stand-up tote outside our storage shed (a portable building we bought and had put on our property) and it got rained in. It ruined everything I had. Talk about having to start over!

I think the gifts wrapped in craft paper are so pretty. I tried it one year and hated it! The paper is hard to crease and the tape didn't stay stuck or keep the paper closed. Any suggestions for that? Maybe that's why they all have ribbon tied around them! :D ;) :confused:

Speaking of ribbon. I love ribbon! That's one of the reasons I like the wrapping parties. I'm more like to take the time to use ribbon if I wrap ahead.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not a wrapper here... so I've been using Santa sacks and fabric bags too. I do have to wrap a few things as grandkids are young and it's fun for them to rip the paper!

Reactions: jampss

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Today I am planning to wrap birthday gifts I have for DS and DGD(9). I have been transitioning to the brown mailing paper sold at Dollar Tree. It is thin and will accept tape. DH and I decided this year to not to give individual gifts to the adults in the family. We will just do the Christmas stocking exchange. We have upped the dollar amount we spend on their birthday instead. Birthday gifts will get birthday paper and I will wrap the stocking gifts. If item is an easy wrap paper and ribbon. If not. tissue paper held in place with a sticker.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I need to get more tape, I have some but not enough to get me through wrapping all the gifts.
I have plenty of wrapping paper, bows and name tags. Just need to get 1 special roll of wrapping for DGS gifts. I wrap most of the gifts, the ones I use giftbags for are my mom and FIL's gifts as the bags make it easier for them to open.

I will not start wrapping until sometime in Nov. and the goal is to be done wrapping by Dec 15th.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thanks for this reminder. I have tape and fine-point red Sharpies on my shopping list. I've just been avoiding the big box grocery store that has all of the back to school sales going on. I walk in there for one item and walk out with 2 bags!

I hate the job of wrapping, but love the look of packages under the tree. I don't have many gifts to wrap any more (DD, DSIL, DMom, "token" gifts for the couple that hosts Christmas Eve and their 2 Grands, and a small gift for those (non-family members) I host on Christmas Day -- a couple of friends who have no family nearby). My wrapping is typically done in one or two days -- I lay things out, set up a card table, and crank up the Christmas tunes.

I tend to shop for gift wrap when it's on clearance shortly before Christmas or after, and I buy rolls that look good together and go good with my holiday decor. And I always have a roll of "kids" wrapping paper on hand, in the event that I'm invited to a get-together at a home where there are children. But it all goes well together under the tree -- color- and pattern-wise. I have a tall waste-basket-like storage tote with a space for scissors and tags in the top. I also have an old cookie tin with tags, ribbon, and bows. I think my biggest issue is that, for the most part, none of the stores are giving boxes anymore. I just bought a bridal shower gift at BB&B, and no more boxes and gift wrap. Gone, nada, they've done away with it. I think the bride's gift will be wrapped in a used Amazon delivery box, sad to say.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I hate the job of wrapping, but love the look of packages under the tree.
This is me. It is the one thing about Christmas/birthdays that I dislike.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Well I got the items out of the gift closet but not wrapped. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I get them wrapped as I have to find something to put them in.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Over the years I have used gift wrapping, bags, decorative boxes and fabric bags under the tree. My daughter’s color was Christmas blue and my son was red which eliminated the need for tags at the house. But through the years with my daughter’s foster children it started to get confusing so this year for the very first time in more than 25 years I am just using wrapping paper, fabric ribbons and tags in a variety of color! Should be fun.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I hate the job of wrapping, but love the look of packages under the tree.
Yes, this is me as well! LOL

I have it all, used bags, tissue paper, boxes, wrapping paper, all colors ... hodge podge. In fact, there are some gift bags I bought when DD30 was a toddler, that every year after that first, I would use for her. :) Later, I did that with DS19. Talk about some well loved Christmas gift bags! LOL

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got the Birthday gifts wrapped and thought I was cleaver wrapping DGD's Barbie like doll in a wine bottle box. She know what shape to look for as she received another one in July so this should make her laugh in surprise.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I've tried a bit of everything when it comes to gift wrapping. I've used bags, wrapping paper, parcel paper, fat quarters... A whole bunch of stuff.
This year I'm wrapping dd2's stocking gifts in purple tissue paper, and everyone's 'main' gifts will be in brown parcel paper with ribbon to secure it (I try not to use tape). Dh and I put each others' gifts in giant coffee sacks and put them under the tree.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
A number of years ago, dh won a raffle at work. It was a big canvas bin filled with everything you could think of for wrapping and mailing Christmas gifts: tape, tags, tissue paper, ribbon, scissors, bows, ribbon, raffia, etc. It also had an upright wrapping paper bin filled with rolls of wrapping paper. Almost everything is gone now but I continue to use the storage.

I enjoy the creative process of wrapping when I have the time. I have a bunch of brown paper gift bags that I like to decorate and give small gifts. For family, I like to wrap and use ribbons and bows. I also like to use unusual boxes for gifts to show my humorous side.

Reactions: jampss and Whusky

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
A number of years ago, dh won a raffle at work. It was a big canvas bin filled with everything you could think of for wrapping and mailing Christmas gifts: tape, tags, tissue paper, ribbon, scissors, bows, ribbon, raffia, etc. It also had an upright wrapping paper bin filled with rolls of wrapping paper. Almost everything is gone now but I continue to use the storage.

I enjoy the creative process of wrapping when I have the time. I have a bunch of brown paper gift bags that I like to decorate and give small gifts. For family, I like to wrap and use ribbons and bows. I also like to use unusual boxes for gifts to show my humorous side.
What a great idea for a raffle prize. I've never heard of that before.

Unusual boxes - years ago dh was thoroughly annoyed with me being able to guess the gift, so he put them in random boxes and wrapped them up. I remember one of my gifts being inside a mushroom quiche box.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: Ahorsesoul