First Wednesday Women's Wine/Whine Night

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This group was started a couple of years ago. One person had the idea, and invited a half dozen or so neighbors to her house for the first "First Wednesday" meeting/celebration. The rules were -- people took turns having the gatherings at their home. everyone was to bring either a bottle of wine or a substantial plate of food to share. Also - everyone was to bring their own wine glass - so the hostess wouldn't have to provide them and clean up. Everyone could invite any other woman to join -- anyone that they thought would be a pleasant addition to the group.

The group was slow to grow. After a year or so -- about 60 women were on the "email list". All the original members invited people to join. And those people invited others to join.I haven't been to any gatherings where there were more than 30 people. And usually -- about 15 - 20 people are able to come to any given meeting.

One thing that is different is: when you are hosting the gathering, you do NOT feel that the success of the evening depends on you. This is VERY different from hosting a regular party -- where you DO feel that the success of the evening depends on you -- the guest list, the food, the drinks, etc.

In this group, EVERYONE is responsible for the success of the gathering. Each person thinks about the food that they will bring -- and tries to bring something tasty and good. People don't bring expensive wine -- but they try to bring wine that is nice and tastes good.

The "fun" of the evening doesn't depend on the skill of the hostess. Everyone who is there is there because they enjoy getting together to talking and have fun. NOBODY is depending on the hostess-of-the-month to make things fun.

Another benefit ---- sometimes, when you give a party, you don't know when or if you will be invited back to a party! With the First Wednesday Group --- you KNOW that you will be invited back to a party EVERY month! With people you like! And --- you KNOW that you will have fun each month!

For convenience -- we have kept the group to a convenient geographic area. This gives people things in common. And lots of people knew each other before the group began.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SparkleNana - I love the thought of a group of women like this! And, how much fun to look forward to something every month! Can you tell us a little more about how your party turned out? Where did you put the food? Where did most people gather? Do most women have conversations with the same women every month or do they seek out women they don't know as well? When did the last guest leave? Was clean up handled by just you or did any of the women chip in? Can you tell I love this?? LOL

Belles

Retire Member
Oohh, I just love the entire concept of your Whine and Wine party; of course since I 'm in the middle of the Bible Belt we would have to have the table wine of the south ~TEA~. None of the women I know would even toast with wine at a wedding for fear of going to ****. I know that is just ridiculous to so many of you that haven't grown up in the Southen Bible Belt. But SparkNana I would go with you, and have a ball! I bet you are a hoot at theses parties.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim -- I agree -- the details are everything! We want details!

Belles -- I would love it if you came to the gatherings with me! And you definitely would have a good time -- that is the whole point of these gatherings! Everyone goes to have fun - in a nice, lighthearted way!

I put the food on the dining room table -- which is in the family room. We have two couches in this room -- since this is where the big TV is. You know - a platter of food takes up a lot more room than a bottle of wine. So -- the dining room table was pretty well covered.

People seemed to want to stay close to the food. So -- we pulled out the 8 chairs from the dining room table and people sat on the chairs and the couches. But conversation was not "general" - in the circle of people. Instead, people talked in groups of 2 or 3 or 4 or more.

The living room also has two couches and chairs -- and a very pretty fire last night. But, for some reason, people did NOT sit in the living room. People DID stand near the buffet table that held the bottles of wine, water and soda.

So - the flow was -- people got a glass of wine. Then -- they went into the dining room and got some food. They sat down and ate the food, and talked to people. Then they stood up, got more food, and talked to different people. Then... they went into the living room and got another glass of wine, and talked to different people.

People DEFINITELY do not talk to the same people every month. People feel very very free to join ANY conversational grouping. Remember this is not a "book group" or a "political group". The purpose of this group is to get together, pleasantly, with other women and TALK! (And eat and drink.) So... people join in on any subject that interests them. Also - different people show up at different months.

So... let's see.... last night, people were talking about movies they had seen. They were talking about trips.... either to visit relatives in other parts of the country. Or - vacation trips - either winter vacations -- or plans for summer vacations. Two women have recently lost their jobs (one three months ago, one one month ago.) They were talking about looking for work. And about the pleasures of NOT working.

People were talking about medical situations... situations that they, or friends of theirs, were dealing with. And new developments in medicine. A woman in the neighborhood is an emergency room doctor -- and she has just returned from two weeks in Haiti. We talked about how her hospital is collecting crutches from people who no longer need them - for injured people in Haiti.

One woman had made an extremely delicious and healthy "dip" -- that was in the NYTimes food Section that day. It was yoghurt with chopped fresh hers and garlic and lemon juice. And she surrounded the dip with colorful raw vegetables -- red and yellow peppers, rounds of squash and zucchini - all kinds of fresh vegetables. It was SO delicious. And that started people talking about food.

The hostess gets to chose the beginning and ending times. So I chose to start at 5:30 and end at 8:00. People arrived at different times and everyone left at 8:00! Everyone carried the platters to the kitchen -- and those that were not disposable, were taken home by the people who brought them.

I had used paper plates and napkins - which everyone tossed in the kitchen trash bin. I put the forks, knives and wine glasses in the dishwasher and turned it on. (The unopened wine, I will bring to the March gathering - along with my contribution of food or drink.) Clean up took almost no time.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I love reading about this Sparklenana! you seemed to have had a wonderful time. Glad you enjoyed it.

This is why I love MHH... so many things to hear about and discover.. we never have women meetings like that but it would be lovely.

As for Belles, I never heard of the Southern Bible belt but it is so interesting to see things are different everywhere! I just love to hear about those things.

:)

Belles

Retire Member
I love reading about this Sparklenana! you seemed to have had a wonderful time. Glad you enjoyed it.

This is why I love MHH... so many things to hear about and discover.. we never have women meetings like that but it would be lovely.

As for Belles, I never heard of the Southern Bible belt but it is so interesting to see things are different everywhere! I just love to hear about those things.

:)

Here's a site that will explain the "Bible Belt" we don't spit, cuss or drink.http://www.essortment.com/all/whereisthebib_rgux.htm (((( LOL))))

Which brings up another question Sparkle or Luludou, do you guys have The Red Hat Society in your area?

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sorry Belles... another thing I know nothing about...

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Sparklenana, this sounds so wonderful and so stress free. We all need friends and i think sometimes our lives are so busy that we put it on the back burner. I think we could all take a few hours once a month for ourselves and our wonderful girlfriends. You and your friends inspire me :)

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
Belles - I definitely know about the Bible Belt! My DH was stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky. when he was in the Army and we lived in Clarksville, Tenn. The Bible Belt ran right thru there. There were even counties where you couldn't ever buy wine or beer. I don't know how it is now. DH has been out of the Army for 35 years. Also, being Baptist, I remember when our DD got married and she was showing some older ladies at our church her wedding photographs, they were shocked that we even had dancing at the reception.

I too love the Wine/Whine party idea. It would be hard on a work night, but fun none the less. Sparklenana, your party sounded great. We also have the "Red Hats" here in So. FL.