Fleece blankets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I live in a small town with other small towns around. We have a regular Wal-mart but that's about it. There is a super Wal-mart about 25 minutes away. We maybe going out of town in a few weeks.

Can someone tell me stores to get the fleece at? Which ones you think carry the best for the price?

My granddaughter has several of the tie fleece blankets. We all loved them would like to be able to make her some myself.

TIA

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
In addition to the WalMarts with craft departments you can find fleece at Joann Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics. For the money, I think WalMart has the best price and Hancock has the best selection and the 2nd best price. At least around here! I do most of my shopping at Joann's though when the fleece goes on sale, since it's more accessable to me thatn Hancock's.

What a nice idea! I'm sure your granddaughter would love a fleece blanket from you!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thank you wil check and see if they have those stores when we go out of town.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I try and get all my fleece at Joannes it is more expensive than Walmart but the quality of the fleece is so much better.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
KimD said:
I try and get all my fleece at Joannes it is more expensive than Walmart but the quality of the fleece is so much better.

Is it easy to cut? I was thinking some kind don't know which I'd heard wasn't easy to cut.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
pattycakes said:
In addition to the WalMarts with craft departments you can find fleece at Joann Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics. For the money, I think WalMart has the best price and Hancock has the best selection and the 2nd best price. At least around here! I do most of my shopping at Joann's though when the fleece goes on sale, since it's more accessable to me thatn Hancock's.

What a nice idea! I'm sure your granddaughter would love a fleece blanket from you!

Thanks I'll do a search on the stores mention in this thread to see where the nearset one is to me.

Might make myself one too. :-D

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
girlsinmo said:
Is it easy to cut? I was thinking some kind don't know which I'd heard wasn't easy to cut.
The fleece is very easy to cut. What I have found is that the cheaper fleece(Walmart) when you tie it seems to stretch more on two of the sides. Not that it really makes too much of a difference if buying both pieces at the same place. It really bothered me when I bought my moms and MIL's panel fleece at Joannes and then had to get the backing at Walmart because Joannes didn't have anything to match it for the backing. After it was tied I had to cut the stips off some to make them the same size. (make sense?) But the fronts I paid $20.00 each and the total for the backing was $10.00 for both.

Also if you look in the clearance section at Joannes you can find some great deals on fleece even better than some of their sales on fleece which here is usually 40% off a couple weeks out of every month. The only problem is what there is there its usually discontinued stuff. I made a blanket for a friend and my youngest dd loved the fleece I had my SIL's mom looking at every Joannes for it for me since she goes to the others often and we couldn't find it again.

One good thing at Walmart is their panels. They are of pretty good quality and the price is good. I only paid $9.62 for ds11's Pirates of the Carrabian fleece panel and no extra streching on that.

Another option is Ebay. I have bought some fleece from there, but paid for it. It cost me $40.00 for the fleece. But it was great quality and I can't find St. Louis Cardnial fleece around here at all.

Does anyone know where you can find collage fleece? I am currently looking for Syracuse fleece for my ds

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Hobby Lobby has fleece too but ours does not have much option right now.

KimD- I am looking for Penn State but was told due to licensing issues some stores to not carry that college.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks everyone for all the help. We called Walmart here they said it was $3.87 a yard. Hopefully they'll have a good selection when we can get out there.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Twinkle said:
KimD- I am looking for Penn State but was told due to licensing issues some stores to not carry that college.

I looked online last night and couldn't even find cotton in SU or Penn State at all. I even went on to Syracuse website to their store and they had nothing that I could use. Because their fleece throws are embroidered in the corner. DS has one already. I got talking to one of my uncles last night because he called to see if DS wanted to go to the basketball game with him this weekend. He told me to make a blanket out of old tee-shirts and sweatshirts. We have enough and he said he has some that he could pass on. He was getting ready to give them to my DS anyways because most would fit him by now. So I think that is what I am going todo so DS has a bigger blanket then the ones he already has.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
KimD- That sounds wonderful and what a great keepsake.

I can get a Penn State fleece panel- can these be used for 2 layer blanket? I will go check out the size

I also notice that Joannes has 50% of fleece this week- except of course- license ones.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got a nice qualité one today for $5 (taxe included)... wanted to use it to make the cushion that goes with the Xmas blankets I bought to make quillows.... but I'm not sure because it's so nice maybe I'll keep it as is.... will have to see.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Twinkle said:

I can get a Penn State fleece panel- can these be used for 2 layer blanket? I will go check out the size
Yes it can, be used to make one. I was telling my ds what I wanted todo with his old teeshirts and hoodies and my younger son said noway he can wear them now. Oldest DS said he wants a fleece blanket he can take games to even if I do plain colors of orange and blue, then I remembered what an employee at Joannes told me when I went looking for Moto-cross fleece. They have a customer that comes in and buys plain fleece uses the bleachpen and stamps and stamps her own designs on her blankets. Figuring that was what I was going todo with my own I got the plain fleece just made my blanket never tried it out. I know the SU store at the mall has SU, Orangemen, and basketball stamps I might have todo this.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
How about buying an embroidery logo patch to put in one corner of the fleece?

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
KimD said:
Twinkle said:

Yes it can, be used to make one. I was telling my ds what I wanted todo with his old teeshirts and hoodies and my younger son said noway he can wear them now. Oldest DS said he wants a fleece blanket he can take games to even if I do plain colors of orange and blue, then I remembered what an employee at Joannes told me when I went looking for Moto-cross fleece. They have a customer that comes in and buys plain fleece uses the bleachpen and stamps and stamps her own designs on her blankets. Figuring that was what I was going todo with my own I got the plain fleece just made my blanket never tried it out. I know the SU store at the mall has SU, Orangemen, and basketball stamps I might have todo this.

I think doing your own like this would be great. He would have a 1 of a kind blanket.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
KimD, thanks for the tip about different fleeces being more or less stretchy than others! When I decide to try this project, I'll remember to buy the same brand of fleece for the top as the bottom.