Forgot these items for Thanksgiving

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I forgot to put sweet potatoes on the grocery list. Sent Dh to buy two for my stepmother. The rest of us do not care if we have them but stepmom likes them. He found the regular orange ones but no white ones at our local Walmart. These are something I do not have listed in my Notebook so will update my list tomorrow. Did you forget anythinga/

Reactions: jampss

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We are not cooking the meal so no forgotten items here, however, my mom mentioned that many items were hard to come by or out of stock altogether. Eggs, sweet potatoes, celery, and very little produce. She said it felt like a third world country when she was shopping. My SIL commented the same when she was doing her regular grocery shopping.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I forgot bacon bits for a salad I make. Easily remedied by frying and crumbling regular bacon, but it's certainly convenient to have the bits!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have some notes to type up for the notebook. May rethink how I make the turkey. Might do a plain turkey in the crockpot or do as Dh says—do prime Rib. He has said this three times this week. lol

DS did not come. He had a sore throat, thought it might be strep but says he will go to the doctor if he’s still sick on Monday. I have everything put away and the dishes washed. Fall towels are in the drier but I need to find the Christmas ones. I did have the Halloween and Fall towels right where I could find them but not the Christmas ones. Thinking they should be in the Fall totes so once the fall towels are washed I can just exchange the towels. I have too many Christmas totes to search. lol

All in all it was a nice Holiday. One pecan pie is gone and I am ready to start the next one but will wait until breakfast unless I decide to do a 3 a.m. pecan pie party tonight. Anyone joining me?

Reactions: jampss and luludou

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I forgot to put the pepper in the green bean casserold. Remedied by usin the tabletop shaker. And, note to self for future reference, Honeycrisp and Gala apples do not work well in apple pies made with fresh apples and not cooked down before filling the pie shell. I used a mix and at least one kind (not sure which) stayed crunchy after baking and sitting 24 hours. DSIL loved it; I felt the texture was off. Need to find my apple chart and put it in my notebook for future reference. In the hustle to get stuff on the table, DD forgot to make the stuffing (there were only 5 of us, and we all agreed StoveTop was acceptable), and she didn't allow enough time for making the gravy. So we had her DSIL pulling things from the oven, while she was making the stuffing and I was stirring gravy. DSIL was carving turkey on the kitchen island behind us. Talk about a crowded kitchen! Their DNeph (almost 17) did the best -- he stayed out of the kitchen!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
And, note to self for future reference, Honeycrisp and Gala apples do not work well in apple pies made with fresh apples and not cooked down before filling the pie shell. I used a mix and at least one kind (not sure which) stayed crunchy after baking and sitting 24 hours. DSIL loved it; I felt the texture was off. Need to find my apple chart and put it in my notebook for future reference
I use a mixture of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith because they do hold there shape and are still a tad crunchy after cooking. I get two Red Delicious so they could down for the “sauce” between the apple slices. Funny how different people like their apple pies. I have a recipe to try that puts down a pecan mixture, then one crust, the apple filling and then another crust. You flip it upside down when it come out of the oven.

• Wow
Reactions: jampss and Lori K

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I only bought one can of yams and should have gotten two. So I will be sure to buy 2 for next Thanksgiving and for Christmas. I had H stop at WM on his way in, but they were sold out. It was fine, but they casserole I make is a fave of the family and I'm positive they would have eaten more if they were available.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Cooked turkey can be kept for 3 to 4 days in the refrig. So tomorrow use it or freeze it. Tonight I made “toss everything in soup” before putting the rest of the turkey in the freezer. We have eaten turkey every night since Thanksgiving.

Friday was Hot Brown Sandwiches, not brown at all but named after the Hotel that served it.
Saturday was my Turkey Fry up, fried canned potatoes, sauerkraut and chopped Turkey, Excellent.
Sunday was Turkey, Ham, mushroom, corn, carrots, sweet potato noodle soup. Sent some to my stepmom who is in the hospital. She said it was tasty.

What is you favorite way to eat up your leftover turkey?

Remember everything turkey (stuffing, gravy) into the freezer or trash tomorrow.

Reactions: jampss

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Forgot to make stuffing on Thursday (it was just Vic and I and even then, I forgot to put the StoveTop box on the counter to remind me). We packaged up all the leftovers and took them to Sophia so I made another turkey breast yesterday and remembered the stuffing so we'll have leftover lunches for the next two days.