Framing Quilt Pieces for 2008 Gifts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I am in here cleaning the craft room, LOL, and I ran across several pieces of old quilt that I have. It was made by either my great grandma or grandma and I was just thinking of maybe for Christmas next year cutting it up to 8X10 pieces and framing it for some gifts. Has anybody done this before? I will zig-zag or sew along the edges but was wondering if any other precautions should be taken. Somebody thought the glass wouldn't be good for it. Also, I have an angel ornament pattern that I want to do out of some of it.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I would probably first put out feelers to see if anyone is going to be offended at this quilt being disassembled. A family heirloom can be a touchy subject to some people, even if they don't own it themselves.

There's some good information here.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/localhi ... atting.asp

which includes this segment...
Many framed objects originally were backed with pine boards. Wooden boards are highly acidic and the acids migrate into fabric or paper, causing stains, embrittlement, and deterioration. Occasionally historic items were framed without a front mat or spacer that would prevent contact with the front glass. During rapid changes in temperature or humidity, moisture can condense on the glass and soak into the paper or fabric at the point of contact. In the case of the sampler, which was damaged by both acidic boards and condensation on the front glass, proper matting and framing would have prevented the severe staining and extended its life. Proper matting begins with acid-free materials. Non-buffered matboard made of 100-percent rag paper is safe for photographs, fabrics, and paper materials. Photographs and paper items should be hinged to their back mats. Use rice paste and choose from a variety of Japanese tissue containing no wood pulp. Appropriate matboard, Japanese tissue, and rice paste can be ordered from suppliers that specialize in archival material.

Good luck!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Canadian Jingles
I just took another break in here, and of course have to check in on MHH and I saw your reply. NO, I am not taking the quilt apart. It has several holes in it and when washed came apart in pieces. When my grandparents died in 05 (about 14 weeks apart. They were married 72 years) there was this old trunk in the shed and when opened all these feather pillows were rotten and the quilts were underneath. So they weren't in the best shape. I told people I would try to wash them and see where I got. Others said to pitch BUT I thought something might possibly be done with them. They were washed and all these little pieces of material were in washer and then I hung them out on a windy day to blow the lint and stuff off. Several good big pieces left. I could not throw them out!
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!
Lana

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Lana, I know I would LOVE to receive a gift like that! Good advice about checking with family members, though it looks like you already did.

I purchased a pin for my Mom one year that was a stuffed heart shape, cut out of a good piece of an old quilt. It was very original and she wore it often. So if you have some small scraps, you could make pins out of them, or even stuffed ornaments to hang on a seasonal tree.

Here are some other ideas, depending on the size of the fabric pieces and their condition:
Make throw pillows
Stuffed toys (I've seen bears made out of old chenille bedspreads -- they sell for $$$)
Use scraps to trim a set of place mats, or pillowcases or a jacket or vest.
Use pieces to add to a shadowbox (maybe with an old book, photograph, pair of glasses, etc. that belonged to the family
Decorate a neat wreath or swag for your craft or powder room
Put interesting pieces in tiny, antique looking frames
Make pincushions
People who make collectible doll clothing love bits of old fabric and needlework

Let us know what you decide to do with this fabric!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
What a nice idea! You could try taking some of the quilt to a quilt shop, they may be able to tell you how old is the fabric. Then you can decide if it was your grandmother or g-grandmothers.

I think when framing it you will need a acid free backing and then a acid free mat to keep the fabric from touching the glass. If you could frame it with a photo of your grandmother it would make a nice keepsake.

rose

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
A shadow box might be a better idea than just a picture frame as there would be room between the quilt block and the glass. The box wouldn't have to be very deep and and anything touching it should be acid free.

A good way to find out the best root to go would be to go to say Michael's framing department or another framing place and take in a piece of the quilt saying that you are thinking about having it frame and would like to know how they would go about doing it. Doing so would give you a idea on the type of backing, fame etc that would be best.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Thank you to all of you for answering. I appreciate the input and I most definitely will let you know which direction I will go. Of course, it won't be right away. I do think a professional opinion would be nice to hear.
Holiday Joy I love the pin ideal.
LOVE HOW WE ALL HELP EACH OTHER!!!! :heartbeat:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
At Michaels tonight, I finally found someone back in the framing department to ask about the quilt pieces. They would use acid free foam board and maybe stitch it to the board so it would be strecthed tight. Then with frame and glass (I said just average a meduim price) for a piece of 11 x 14 was like $117! So I kept asking questions and I think I can do it for a considerable amount CHEAPER!!!!! The foam board is like $4.79 a sheet and it is bigger.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lana,
Thanks for the info. I have a quilt top I want to frame. I think my machine would stitch into the foam board without problems. I'll just use a demin needle.

Rose, I love the shadow box idea.