Freezer Meals

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I love all these tips!

Annie - I did not know you could freeze garlic - brilliant! It was not me that talked about the casserole in foil but it's a fantastic idea!

Wings - Great idea to pre cut up the meat before you freeze it. For me I'm thinking that would make stir fry meals that much quicker!

Nutcracker - That recipe sounds really good.

Jessica when you freeze muffins and pancakes and such do you just microwave them to thaw them or do you take them out the night before and put them in the fridge for the morning?

Thanks everyone!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I make up extra batches of pancakes for the kids all the time. When the kids want pancakes I just pop them into the toaster.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Kim- I'm not sure honestly. I just started doing this and haven't taken any out yet to thaw. I think you could just leave them out on the counter the night before and maybe by morning they would be fine, then you could heat them in the microwave. I'll try it tonight and see.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I love all these tips!

Annie - I did not know you could freeze garlic - brilliant! It was not me that talked about the casserole in foil but it's a fantastic idea!

Wings - Great idea to pre cut up the meat before you freeze it. For me I'm thinking that would make stir fry meals that much quicker!

Nutcracker - That recipe sounds really good.

Jessica when you freeze muffins and pancakes and such do you just microwave them to thaw them or do you take them out the night before and put them in the fridge for the morning?

Thanks everyone!

Kim, you definitely can just leave the muffins out to thaw. Once when I was looking at the muffins at the grocery store, the lady in the bakery mentioned she had just put the muffins out and they were still a bit frozen. I was really suprised to hear that they had been frozen. I could never taste the difference.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
This is a great thread. Like a lot of you, I believe in making one mess to clean up provide more than 1 meal! I fix a roast (beef or pork) & freeze for future meals. Also the base for vegetable soup & only have to add the vegetables later. I freeze chili - tho I don't make it often- chicken, boneless pork ribs, bbq meatballs, meatloaf.... And like many of you, I cook & freeze hamburger ahead in 1 lb packages so it's ready for spaghetti, goulash, hamburger gravy, chili. sloppy joes, etc.

Also freeze leftover cornbread, biscuits, rolls. I don't leave these more than a week, tho. Just seems like they taste better if used in a short time.

The vaccumm seal bags work really well....similiar to the shrink wrap. Uses a battery operated "sealer" to remove the excess air. There are also ones you use w/out a battery (have them on Biggest Looser a few seasons ago). Better, IMO, than the zip-lock style freezer bags. More pricey, BUT they can be throughly washed & re-used.

keep the tips coming!!

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Here is another good one!
TEX-MEX CHICKEN CASSEROLE

2 small chickens, cooked deboned, and chopped (about 5-6 cups) Can use ready-cooked chickens from deli
1 family size can cream of chicken soup
1 8oz container sour cream
2 small cans chopped green chilies, drained
¾ tsp cumin
¾ tsp garlic powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ bunch cilantro, chopped (or equivalent of dried cilantro)
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or your choice of cheese)
1 cup shredded cheese for topping
Salt and pepper to taste
24-34 soft corn tortillas (found in dairy case)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat over to 350 degrees
Cut corn tortillas into 1 inch strips and set aside
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except tortilla strips and 1 cup shredded cheese for topping.
In a 13”X9” casserole, layer the ingredients beginning with chicken mixture, then tortilla strips. Repeat layers, ending with chicken mixture.
Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese over top.
FREEZE HERE
Bake 35-45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Nutcracker! The pepperoni pizza puffs must be tried.... This would be great with the teens.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I really like a lot of Racheal Rays recipes.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I am loving this thread! One thing that I do is freeze whole pies. Sometimes I only make the pie filling. For example I will make an apple pie filling, then put it into a foil or plastic wrap lined pie plate, freeze it and then pop it out and rewrap it. You can also make your pastry and assemble the pie and freeze the whole thing. You can then bake it from a frozen state or let it partially thaw before baking it. Of course you'll have to add some time to the baking time.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I love my freezer meals!! We're having a rogan josh lamb curry for DH and I tonight, and au pair and DD are both having spaghetti bolognaise, all from the freezer (DD and AP are both less inclined towards spciy dishes). I tend to freeze sloppy meals in 1 or 2 person portions, as I can then be flexible about how many I am feeding - I can take out 2 packs for 2 each if I have all 4 eating the same thing, or allow flexibility if some don't like something or there will be fewer at mealtimes (we often end up eating at different times).

Something else that is useful is to "open freeze" lots of things - like sausages, burgers, veggies. Lay them on a tray and freeze, and then pop into a bag or tub. They'll be seperated when you're trying to get them out (great if you only want part of the bag) but protected from freezer burn in the bag or plastic tub.

I do keep meaning to try the peppers in a bag as we use a lot in stir-fry type dinners.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Something else that is useful is to "open freeze" lots of things - like sausages, burgers, veggies. Lay them on a tray and freeze, and then pop into a bag or tub. They'll be seperated when you're trying to get them out (great if you only want part of the bag) but protected from freezer burn in the bag or plastic tub.

I do this a lot too. Makes life so much easier with such a little amount of effort.