Freezer Sessions 2020...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will do a big batch of meatballs this morning and will have some for dinner and some to freeze. We ave been eating out of the freezer quite a lot but will need to restock soon.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Added a batch of Cinnamon Roll Muffins to the freezer yesterday. Also made a couple of types of quick breads:

Apple Butternut and also a couple loaves of Strawberry Bread

Cubed the butternut squash I didn't use in the bread and froze that.

We purchased a new upright freezer from friends and will give our old chest freezer to another friend...not much left in chest freezer right now which is good.

I took the last of the Christmas cookies in to work last week - they didn't last long! :)

It's about time to start baking and freezing cheesecakes for DS's school fundraiser in May!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Last week, I cooked up and froze 6 lbs of chicken and 5 lbs. ground beef. I made chicken and beef stock as well as turkey broth. My freezer is stuffed again. :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm still using up items I stored for the holidays and usually in spring I'll be caught up and start over. No plans as of yet!
I do have a question though. Do any of you have frozen beef, half way defrost it, add marinades or things like that and refreeze. We get our beef by the cow, so we have a freezer full. That makes prepping it before I freeze it a no go. I'm curious if ya'll have suggestions?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just toss the marinade on the frozen beef and freeze. It will do the marinading part when it defrosts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I sat and decided on what I would like to make at my next freezer cooking day.
Chicken strogonoff, Chicken pot pies and French onion pasta bake will be prepared and frozen. It will be nice to have some ready freezer meals to pull out on those cold Winter nights.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Juiced a bag of lemons last night - froze juice in ice cube trays and the rinds in a Ziploc :)

Also finished transferring items from chest freezer to "new" upright freezer in basement - unplugged the old way to thaw before cleaning and passing on to new owner.

I've got LOTS of space to fill now - I'd better get busy! ;)

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I bagged some bargains yesterday while shopping. Packs of 12 bake at home rolls were $1 so I got 2 packs. They went straight in the freezer. Will be good to pull out to enjoy with Winter soups and casseroles.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Grocery store had beautiful pork chops for .99 cents a pound. I will need to re package and vacuum seal. I made a double batch of oatmeal raisin cookie dough yesterday and froze.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Roasted a chicken this weekend, bones now frozen for making stock later. Froze the leftover meat yesterday to jumpstart another meal or two.

Getting ready to make a trip to the butcher to stock up on meats!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Froze 25 lbs of chicken breast, 10 lbs chuck roast, 10 lbs bacon, 25 lbs ground beef!

Also made a double batch of Crab Rangoon and froze those too.

Also made a batch of Gluten Free egg roll wrappers and froze.

Have a 5lb bag of shredded cheese I need to break up and freeze. And hoping to make a batch of GF Crab Rangoon tonight and freeze as well. We're having family over next weekend for Chinese for DBIL's birthday :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to do a freezer organizing spree. Dh had to dump all the frozen food in it from the extra refrigerator when the guy came to pick it up unexpectedly.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Made and froze the GF crab rangoon last night. Had extra filling so did some more with the normal wonton wraps as well and froze.

Moved all the meat I froze into one freezer - I had spread everything out so as to not overload any one freezer with too much at a time.

Things are looking nice and stocked!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am am so glad that I have 2 freezers full of food at the moment. Means that we should be comfortable for a while if we cannot buy any more food. It will also give me a chance to use up what is in there.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Do any of you have frozen beef, half way defrost it, add marinades or things like that and refreeze. We get our beef by the cow, so we have a freezer full. That makes prepping it before I freeze it a no go. I'm curious if ya'll have suggestions?

When I don't have time to marinade the meats before freezing, I marinade them after they defrost. I haven't tried it the other way.

We are eating out of the freezer now. I haven't been at the grocery store for a week now. However, my dd did a small grocery run Friday morning. I'm not sure what things are looking like at our local store since the weekend.

I'm trying to minimize the trips so we are making a running list with the idea of getting things while we can.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am trying to be mindful of waste in the kitchen - we had family over this weekend and I had said I would make a particular cheesecake for DBIL - it used 5 egg yolks so I frozen the egg whites in ice cube trays - popped them out and into a bag once frozen.

Figure I'll use them in a recipe that only calls for whites or even just add them to scrambled eggs on any given morning.

I have a jug of milk that says good until 3/18 on it so I am going to freeze it tomorrow - measured out into amounts called for in various recipes, like pancakes. I have another bigger jug that is good until 23rd to keep using.

Our freezers are pretty full - other than maybe picking up frozen pizzas IF I can find them I think we are good for the moment!

I would "normally" be starting to bake and freeze cheesecakes for the big school fundraiser in early May but I have no room to freeze them right now - well - not much. I might be able to do 4...more if we cook the turkey LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When its time to eat meat you want to marinade will the frozen meat unwrap? If so just add the marinade while it defrosts. I know sometimes the paper sticks making this impossible.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Just froze the last of the gallon of milk we had in the fridge - plus I have one more gallon that is that is good until April 5.

And a half gallon of buttermilk that is good until April 4 - plan to use some now and freeze for later.

Have 2 zucchini to shred and freeze - and some ham.

And I have some bananas that are about to be turned into banana bread that I will freeze :)