Freezer Sessions 2020...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
GIngersnaps, Chocolate Gobs, Espresso Snowcaps, Reese's Crinkles, Oatmeal Choc Chip and Pecan Sandies baked and in the freezer.

Double batch of Lemon Snowballs waiting to be baked and frozen.

Not sure what else I will make yet...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
GIngersnaps, Chocolate Gobs, Espresso Snowcaps, Reese's Crinkles, Oatmeal Choc Chip and Pecan Sandies baked and in the freezer.

Double batch of Lemon Snowballs waiting to be baked and frozen.

Not sure what else I will make yet...
You go girl. Wish I could but I have no room in my freezers and I think DH would kill me if bought another freezer LOL

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, you’ve been busy!
My chicken soup is done and so is my back. It’s all in containers in the frig just need to make room in my freezer. That may be tomorrow along with the dirty dishes. Atleast I know we will have soup on Christmas. Thank goodness for the chiropractor tomorrow!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Bought a standing rib roast. Will vacuum seal and freeze. It’s my plan B for Christmas. If we don’t have it for Christmas (and I hope we don’t) it will be for New Year’s Eve dinner.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hope you are feeling better, Myron's Mom!!! Good thinking on the Plan B!

I've done two more kinds of cookies. Plan to get boxes shipped either tomorrow or Friday with cookies included. That will free up freezer space again - having the cookies mostly gone.

I have a small list of things I'd like to then make and freeze. I'm toying with the idea of doing a lasagna for Christmas Day's meal...some Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes for a breakfast, etc.

Reactions: Minta

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our freezer is full. We plan to eat from the freezer a lot over the next three weeks. Even though things are put together, I'm thankful for having ingredients on hand with which I can put a meal together. I'll start working on some things I can make ahead when room begins to open up.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Now that the turkey is gone there is some space for me to make other things and freeze them. Also, I want to eat from the freezer a bit more.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Now that freezers are mostly empty of cookies, I am tentatively planning the following freezer cooking:

• Funeral Potatoes
  • Cheesy Garlic Bread
  • Lasagna
  • Pie Crusts
  • Cooked sausage for quiche
  • Cooked Bacon for quiche
  • Shredded chicken for enchiladas/tacos

Reactions: Minta

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Now that freezers are mostly empty of cookies, I am tentatively planning the following freezer cooking:

Oh no. I think freezers that are empty of cookies break faster than ones with cookies. Cookies good for freezers Bad for computers......!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We are starting to fill our freezer with cookies. Dc are home from college taking finals this week and next week. One is done and baking away. Since we won't be seeing friends and family, we are going to bake the normal amount of cookies and then spend a day making surprise deliveries to those who usually partake in eating our cookies.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
There are now a few cookies in my freezer. I gave the bulk of what my cousin and I made to her and set some aside for our friends. We don’t need that many and honestly my freezers are pretty full.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

• Funeral Potatoes
  • Cheesy Garlic Bread
  • Lasagna
  • Pie Crusts
  • Cooked sausage for quiche
  • Cooked Bacon for quiche
  • Shredded chicken for enchiladas/tacos
AJ, could you share your quiche recipes? Thanks!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have one main recipe I've used over the years for Quiche - I just vary the fillings, bacon vs. sausage, etc. Quiche is pretty forgiving, I've found. I've been on the hunt for new and different flavor combinations for the filling and found a few I'll post below! But here is mine:

BACON MUSHROOM QUICHE

This Bacon Mushroom Quiche is pretty easy to make and can be customized with any of your favorite ingredients.

1 (9-inch) pie crust (homemade or store bought)
5 slices bacon - Who cooks only 5 slices of bacon, I ask you? Cook the whole package and throw it in. Turkey bacon works too!
½ cup onion, chopped
1 carton sliced mushroom (use canned instead if needed, just drain them)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - Oh, ahem, as much as you like. Play with the flavors by mixing and matching. Freshly shredded Parmesan, Romano or Asiago can be added it along with other cheeses - maybe ½ cup of so since they are stronger and saltier in flavor.
6 large eggs
1 cup milk (any percentage works, or cream, or Half and Half or canned evaporated milk)
1 tsp dried parsley
¾ tsp ground mustard (optional, if you have it it works great)
2 tsp freeze dried chives (optional)
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place pie dough into a tart pan or a pie plate and set aside.
  3. Fry bacon over medium heat until cooked. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel and then crumble into the bottom of the pie dough.
  4. Use the rendered fat to cook the mushrooms and chopped onion and garlic.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture onto the bottom of the pie dough.
  6. Add the cheese right on top.
  7. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and milk together with a whisk. Add in seasonings and stir.
  8. Pour egg mixture over the pie. Use a fork to move middle around to make sure liquid gets down into all the nooks and crannies.
  9. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the center is no longer runny. Use a pie crust shield or aluminum foil to prevent crust edges from overbrowning.
  10. Let stand for at least 5 minutes to set before serving.
NOTE: To make low carb use heavy cream and omit crust - just spritz pie pan with cooking spray instead.

Reactions: missjane

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I found several interesting quiche variations on Plain Chicken - some might be considered more suited to a "breakfast for dinner" scenario - but I think any of them could work for breakfast, brunch or lunch too! :)

French Onion Chicken Quiche - Uses French Onion Chip Dip as part of the mixture for the quiche!!! Yum-OH - can't wait to try this!

Mississippi Sin Quiche

Loaded Potato Quiche

There are several more on her site!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ those all look good. And I never understood 5 strips of bacon either. I’m not making a mess for 5 strips. Cook it all and use it or throw in the freezer. It never makes it to the freezer here.

I used the pleated vacuum sealer bags for a rib roast today. They are pretty nice for big things. I wish I could find more. I only saw that one box, that one time, never to be seen again.

Im freezing cookies that I received as gifts today. There are tons. We could easily eat them all before Christmas and neither of us should. I’ll keep a few out the rest will be saved for dessert for Christmas and New Years.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We made fewer batches of cookies this year. We gave away 13 dozen cookies but still have plenty for us. I think we'll keep them frozen until we need them. We are also getting cookies from others which is a first for us. It is nice to be on the receiving end of things too.

This year's freezer cooking was different for me. I usually do the freezer cooking for the busy hectic nights from September through December as well as freeze side dishes for Thanksgiving and in the past, Christmas Eve dinner. This year I was just trying to keep ahead of coronavirus shortages and preparing foods for a possible quarantine, which we did deal with in November. We had no busy hectic nights in general since all after school activities were cancelled. It was a nice change of pace for me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Interested to start over with food prep and freezing next year. DS has moved out and he was a bit of a picky eater so it made meal prep harder. DH and I have very similar tastes so it will be much easier to cook for the two of us.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Went through all the freezers yesterday and wrote down what I've got - will enter into my inventory spreadsheet. Glad I did, low on some things and so many things I'd forgotten about. Must do better at keeping up my inventory!!!

Will be planning new round of freezer meals over the coming weeks!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul