Freezer Sessions 2020...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went through our freezers too. DH who is the main cook has said not to buy any meat over the next few weeks. He would like to run the freezers right down and then start again. I am a little worried about having empty freezers but will trust DH.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Meat prices, except ground beef, have been really good here the last two weeks, so I have bought a good supply of it for our freezer. We'll need to use what we have on hand, too, to keep it from getting too old. The only meat I'll be buying is ground round and fish when we want to eat something beside what we have in the freezer.

We're still eating on the peas and okra DH over bought during the summer. Chances are we won't need okra at all this summer.

DDIL's ex-SisIL's father died a few weeks ago. She's moving out of her trailer and into her parent's house. Her mom died about 2 years ago. DDIL was looking at things she's selling. I asked her to see if she might have a freezer she wants to sell, and she does!! She said when she gets ready to move, I can buy it. I'm so excited!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm also doing a freezer clean out. It's pretty normal for me to do that in January. I even posted a Marie Callendar pie I bought with the intention of eating on Christmas and didn't. I didn't want to be any part of those calories, so I posted it on the community page so it wouldn't go to waste. I also have a turkey carcass in there that is taking up way to much space, so this week we are definately having turkey soup of some sort. In the Fall we got another half cow, so our beef is good to go as usual, but I'd really like to look into purchasing a pig too. Just a random though..lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am contemplating whether or not to do any freezer sessions this year. With just the two of us at home now not sure how viable it is to have a freezer full of ready to go meals. Need to sit with DH who is the main cook and see what he thinks.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
With just the two of us at home now not sure how viable it is to have a freezer full of ready to go meals.
Maybe change up your approach? Freeze meal components - i.e. frozen shredded chicken breast, cooked ground beef, etc. Things that would jumpstart meals?

Another thing I've done is when making a recipe that calls for a 9x11 pan - I make two 8x8 pans instead - one for dinner and one to freeze.

I just added a new recipe to my freezer rotation - and it's great because it's something you can grab one or two servings out of a bag as needed -

Frozen Fruit Salad

NOTE: I used 3 T sugar only and probably could have omitted that. We left out the pecans and added blueberries. I also just used the 20 oz can of crushed pineapple I happened to have. And I also used silicone muffin pans instead of using the paper liners.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am contemplating whether or not to do any freezer sessions this year. With just the two of us at home now not sure how viable it is to have a freezer full of ready to go meals. Need to sit with DH who is the main cook and see what he thinks.
Maybe change up your approach? Freeze meal components - i.e. frozen shredded chicken breast, cooked ground beef, etc. Things that would jumpstart meals?

Another thing I've done is when making a recipe that calls for a 9x11 pan - I make two 8x8 pans instead - one for dinner and one to freeze.

I just added a new recipe to my freezer rotation - and it's great because it's something you can grab one or two servings out of a bag as needed -
I don't always have room for full freezer meals but I do freeze components like AJ suggest.
Meatballs
Chicken Parm meatballs
Premade hamburger or turkey patties
Sloppy joe and taco meat bagged up in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb bags
I slice up chicken breast into thin slices and strips, season and cook. Flash freeze and then toss into freezer bags. Perfect for sandwiches and wraps. Such a time saver for quick and easy lunches and dinners.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

Frozen Fruit Salad

NOTE: I used 3 T sugar only and probably could have omitted that. We left out the pecans and added blueberries. I also just used the 20 oz can of crushed pineapple I happened to have. And I also used silicone muffin pans instead of using the paper liners.
We make a frozen fruit salad similar to this.
Ours is:
20 oz crushed pineapple
2 mashed bananas
1 jar maraschino cherries
1/2 cup sugar
8 oz. Cool Whip
8 oz. Sour cream
1 cup chopped pecans

It tastes like a banana split! It's a must at the holidays. A few drops of red food coloring makes it a light pink.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks ladies for you input. It will take us a while to get used to the changes. I like the idea of prepping some of the components, I think that would work for us. I like the idea of haveing some beef mince etc in the freezer so that DH can just grab and adapt to what he needs.
Katrina - if DH cooks do whatever he recommends:)

Debbie, I am very lucky DH cooks, he finds it relaxing, and who am I to take away his joy?