Freezer Sessions 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
had a hard time finding frozen onion rings, hash browns and tater tots this month.
Amelia, have you tried the dehydrated hash browns from Sam's? I love them because they're shelf stable! Simply soak to rehydrate before using.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What are avocados like after they are frozen? I’ve never tried that.
I did mash the avocado with some lemon juice and froze the mashed avo in the trays. They are not great for use in salads etc as the texture changes but is great spread on hamburger buns or used as a gucamole type thing.. It was worth a try when avocados were 90cents each here.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ll have to try to freeze one of the avacados I have here. I’m at texture person so it will be interesting. Texture is the biggest reason I don’t like raw tomato.

I haven’t tried the dehydrated hash browns. I bought plain dehydrated sliced potatoes last year to try. It might have been the brand I bought but they were just ok. I do like the boxed scalloped potatoes etc, from aldis. I don’t shop at sams or bjs but I’ll shop around and find some to try.
Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Plum butter is made and frozen. So glad that is done. I bought a whole beef filet for a good price and cut into steaks my self. There is a butt roast sitting in the fridge I’ll grind up tomorrow and freeze. Much cheaper to do it myself than pay the crazy price for ground pork at the store.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, My DH trained and worked as a butcher for many years. It comes in handy when I buy meat at a great price. He can process it for us

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
MM, My DH trained and worked as a butcher for many years. It comes in handy when I buy meat at a great price. He can process it for us
That would be wonderful! I watch a lot lot you tube to see how things are done. I used to help butcher chickens growing up so poultry I can do. The rest, I do my best and thankfully my husband is clueless about that kind of stuff. He can’t tell if I’ve done a good job or not lol!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We've been eating from the freezer forever it seems. I am not use to this at all. We were out of chicken and very low on ground beef. Today I cooked up a family pack of shredded chicken and ground beef.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our freezers are starting to get a little low here too. I am glad that I had such a good supply of ready made meals thanks to freezer cooking sessions at the beginning of the year. I am getting low on chicken, beef mince and other meat. Might have to look for alternative suppliers.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Made a batch of chicken broth today. I had parsley root in the freezer to use up. I usually use whole chickens but they were not a good deal and pretty skinny looking. Leg quarters were a good price and were very fatty. They made good broth.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Am waiting for a meat and vegetable delivery today. We have sourced produce from a new supplier that offer meat packs and seasonal vegetable and fruit packs. I will be very interested to see if this is good value or not.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I made a double batch of soup and froze one batch for December. It's really the normal amount that I usually make but with just three of us eating together now, it has become a double batch. :D Next up is rice...

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I made 12 cups of rice and froze that last week. I bought 4 lbs of London Broil, 4 lbs of pork chops, and 4 lbs of ground beef from the discounted section of meats. Prices have really skyrocketed in the last month!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Never thought of freezing the rice!
It freezes so well! Pop it in the microwave on high for 1 -3 minutes, depending on the power of the microwave and amount of rice. It's as if it were just cooked!

• Love
Reactions: luludou

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have been adding to the freezers quite a bit!

There is a full lasagna in there for Christmas Eve!
Mini Bacon Pinwheels and Cheesy Beef Taquito Filling for our appetizer themed dinner party next weekend

And a METRIC TON of cookies! Even after I shipped all the cookie tins, lol

I also have been making and freezing WW friendly items - Chocolate Banana Muffins, Two Ingredient Dough based breads, and quiche using two ingredient dough as the crust...etc.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, your appetisers sound really good. I have not many ready to eat meals left. I will sit down very soon and plan my next batch cooking session. I have a few ideas. I will need to let the freezer run down a little.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul