Freezer Sessions 2023...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Here are my 2 cabbage roll recipes.

Cabbage rolls- Halupki

3lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 lb bacon
V8 juice lg can
1 Tablespoon Lowerys
1 can tomato soup
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup rice
1 egg
1 grated onion
1 jar sauerkraut
Large head of cabbage
Cut core from cabbage. Place in boiling water (parboil) to remove leaves. Pack leaves in sauerkraut over night if you want more flavor in leaves. Also can freeze leaves at this point for a later date.
Cut bacon into small pieces, brown and drain, cool. Mix beef,bacon, pork,garlic,lowerys, pepper, rice,onion, and egg. Form mixture into small rolls, wrap in cabbage. Drain kraut. Layer rolls and kraut in roaster. Mix tomato soup with 1 can water. Pour over rolls. Add V8 to cover. Bake covered in oven until meat and rice are cooked. Can add some water to keep rolls from drying out while cooking.
I don’t add any extra salt but you can. I fry a sample of meat mixture before I add rice to adjust seasoning if needed. Freezes well.

Cabbage rolls - Sarma (Grandmas Christmas cabbage rolls)

4 lb pork butt roast, ground
Medium onion grated
2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
Heaping 1/4 cup wild rice
3 jars sauerkraut
1 large head of cabbage
Core cabbage place in boiling water (par boil) to remove leaves. Pack in sauerkraut for several days to further soften and flavor leaves. Can freeze leaves at this point for later use. Mix meat, egg, rice, pepper, salt and onion. Shape into rolls, wrap in cabbage. Layer rolls and sauerkraut in roaster. Add juice from cabbage and sauerkraut to pan. Add water if needed during baking so rolls don’t dry out. Bake 350, covered until meat and rice are cooked, depending on size of rolls 2-3 hours. Freezes well.

• Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Slow cooker Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce

6 Italian sausage links (1 1/2 lb) cut into 1" pieces; can use a mixture of hot and sweet
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 tbs sugar (debatable)
l tsp dried basil leaves
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
2 6 oz cans tomao paste
Mix all in a 3/12 - 4 qt slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours

Slow cooker Bolognese

1 med. onion, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 med. carrot finely chopped
1 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs tomato paste
2 lb lean ground beef
1 tbs kosher salt
2 tsps sugar
2 tsps dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
l bay leaf
1/2 cup red wine
2 28 oz cans whole peeled tomatoes
2/3 cup heavy cream

Saute first 3 ingredients in large skillet until tender. Add tomato paste and garlic and cook, stirring constantly 30 seconds. Put in 6 qt slow cooker. Add beef to pan and cook until no longer pink. Add salt and next 5 ingredients. Stir in wine and cook, stirring constantly, about 7 minutes until wine is evaporated. Add to slow cooker and stir. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid and use your hands to break up the tomatoes. Add to slow cooker and stir. Cook 6 hours on low; add cream. Sauce should be thick - if too soupy cook another 30 minutes; if too thick, use reserved tomato liquid.

Notes: Both freeze well Also, if you don't have whole tomatoes, add diced, or more sauce; sugar is up to you too. I don't use the wine either; use water or some stock/broth if you have it. These are quite flexible recipes.

And, of course, use a liner in your slow cooker!!!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Will try the sauces when I get tomato’s later in the season.

Just a question- does anybody use a freezer “sensor” that pairs with your phone to let you know when the freezer temp is rising? I watch Becky from Acre Homestead sometimes and she just had a freezer disaster, lost a ton of freezer meals, because the door was left ajar. Was thinking about getting them for my upright freezers. Wondered if anybody had any experience with them.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I need to get some meals into the freezer. I also need to cook and take some to some of the "seniors" in our church.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Went to the fruit farm for blueberries to freeze. Got my berries, medium hot peppers for stuffed peppers and…. red haven peaches!!!!!!! Red havens are ready here in northeast Ohio! One of my favorite times of year. Will freeze my blues berries today. Make stuffed peppers on Wednesday. Either Thursday or Friday I’ll get up at 5am to start my peach butter.
Sweet corn is starting to come into season here. I’ll go to Rittman to get that when it’s ready. I usually have to wait for them to pick it there. The place I went to today was selling their “fresh” picked corn. Not so fresh- the ends of the ears were very dry, I’m guessing picked over the weekend.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have my 2023 Holiday Freezer Sessions planned finally! This covers things to be used from end of October through New Years...

Cheesy Beef Taquito Filling
Steaks in Marinade
Cooked Ground Beef, Crumbled
Cooked, Shredded Chicken Breast
Chicken Pot Pie
Lasagnas
Cooked Pork Sausage, Crumbled
Garlic Croutons
PW Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy Garlic Bread Topping
English Muffin Bread
PW Holiday Bacon Crackers
Cheesy Bacon Brown Sugar Crackers
Stuffed Mushrooms
Cheeseball
Mini Bacon Pimento Cheese Pinwheels
Hash Brown Casseroles
Frozen Fruit Salad
Jumbo Nutella Muffins

PLUS all of the cookies I will bake ahead and freeze! Getting started on my list this weekend! Also want to do some WW freezer cooking as well - namely Chocolate Banana Muffins, Zero Point Taco Soup and Chicken Chili Blanco. I've been out of them all for a while and I'm craving them!!!