Freezing Meals- A question

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
For all those that are preparing casseroles, meals, etc. to freeze for Holiday use.

How do you wrap them, get them ready for the next several months in the freezer?

No matter what I try, things seem to get freezer burn.

Would love to know some tips.

Thanks!

Annie

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I bake and store my freezer meals in Glad plastic bakeware pans. I put a layer of foil on the top and make sure it completely covers the food and put the lid on. It seems to work well.

HTH,

Melanie

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I put mine in plastic tubs which are airtight. What I often find is that I start to run out of space, so I transfer them into polastic freezer bags and tie those VERY TIGHTLY with the metal tie or with a plastic clippit (which really do work very well). I rarely make dishes that need to stay in shape though - lasagnes and shepherd's pies are frozen in some glas pyrex dishes that I got a couple of years ago, which have plastic lids so you can freeze, defrost, remove lid and put straight into oven. Unfortunately I only have 2 of those so can't make large batches of those kinds of dishes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Instead of having to put actual dishes in the freezer, another option is to line the dish in question with heavy duty aluminum foil.

Put the sheets both lengthwise and crosswise with plenty of overhang on each side. Have one extra layer of alumimum foil going one of the directions - you'll see why.

Layer or otherwise fill the dish with food as normal.

Partially cook, if recipe calls for that - some lasagna recipes do...

After dish is cool enough, flash freeze it - a.k.a. put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

At this point you should be able to tightly fold the extra layer of aluminum foil over the top of the food without it sticking to any gooey cheese you may have on top. Loosely fold the remaining foil over so it is not in the way - but you are going to want to use these as "handles" later.

Put it back in the freezer until good and frozen. 8 hours? Overnight?

Take the dish out of the freezer and use the still loose pieces of aluminum foil to lift the now frozen block of food out of the dish.

Wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or insert into heavy duty freezer bag. Label bag with what dish you took it out of, oven temp, baking instructions, etc.

When the time comes to bake it, remove bag and/or plastic wrap, pop into appropriate dish, fold back/tear off extra alumn foil as desired and bake!

This option does not limit you to either tying up dishes in the freezer or contantly purchasing the throw away type of aluminum pans. I love it!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks for the tips!

AuntJamelle- That is an excellent method. It seems like you can store them pretty well that way! I imagine rectangles of casseroles lined up in the freezer.

Annie