Frugal Christmas #1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
With the economy the way it is, with people trying to pay down debt, and just because simple can be just as good or BETTER....I will be posting some Frugal Christmas ideas during Christmas in July.

Frugal Christmas #1

If you buy gift cards, try to buy them at one of the many places that give away free cards when buying one. For example: Applebees .....if you buy a 25 dollar gift card...you get a free 10 dollar gift card. This can be used as another gift, for lunch for yourself while shopping or as a thrifty stocking stuffer.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yes! Thank you, Gingerbug! Everybody needs this! I didn't know that there were promotions like this one!!!1

As a matter of fact, I just saw on TV that BJ's is giving out free 60-day memberships for the summer! Might be a place to browse for Christmas gifts.

They also said that Arby's is giving out free kid's sandwiches with the purchase of a beverage.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
FYI - DH found out the hard way that Lowes gift cards start to decrease in amount 30 days after the purchase date. :(

Most gift cards only start to decrease after 1 year after purchase date - needless to say DH was NOT pleased. His birthday was in April and he tried to use the card last month - out of $50 there was only $17 left.

So this would NOT be a good card to buy ahead of time and save. Just a heads up!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks ladies those are good info to know. Like the visa gift card has some fees attached to it.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
AuntJamelle.....what a rip off. Cards should be good forever....I mean the money was paid...

But good thing to remember when getting cards.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That gift card rip off is one of the things the government is trying to elimate while they are working on all this credit card junk! Just an FYI!

christmas32

Retire Member
Dec 26, 2009
Personally, I'd call up Lowes and fight it. That's just not right. Especially if you have the receipt for the GC or the gift receipt that shows when purchased. I've never heard of one starting to have fees after 30 days. 12 months maybe which is still a rip off.

jollymom

Retire Member
Jun 27, 2010
AuntJamelle, I just looked on the Lowes website (just gave my BIL a gift card for his bday) and it says no service fees or expiration dates...

This was under the product description when I added a gift card to "my cart" online.

Amounts from $5 to $5,000.
Cards mailed directly to you or recipient.
No expiration date, no service fees.
Free standard shipping.
Personalized gift card holder.

I hope yours was a mistake somehow...but I may still mention to my BIL to keep an eye on his GC (although it's probably already spent!) :)

Good luck to you though...