Gadgets: Air Fryer -- Is it worth it? Why? (Or Sous Vide?)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Does anyone use an Air Fryer? If so, why do you like it and what do you use it for? They are on sale everywhere right now and I'm looking at it to create healthier versions of roasted veggies (which take a lot of oil in the oven) and fried chicken (because I really miss Fried Chicken). I'm gluten free so much of the hyped recipes that are out there aren't options for me -- we aren't going to be frying any Twinkies over here. Do you have an air fryer? Do you love it? Is it worth the cabinet space? Is it easy to clean and what brand would you suggest if indeed you do love it.

My other gadget option for Christmas is the Sous Vide but I just can't picture myself using it. Pretty attached to my slow cooker.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Cindy, I bought DS a sous vide for Christmas two years ago, and he likes it, but finds it most convenient to use with steaks.

I do know an air fryers is basically a countertop convection oven. I have a friend who has one. She said it's not 100% oil free as it advertises, but I've not used one personally. I make "oven fried chicken" by preparing it as I would to fry it. Then, I spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray and also spray the chicken after putting it into the pan. Bake at 400°, turning once during cooking, for 25-35 minutes or until cooked all the way through. It works best with a cast iron skillet.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I wish I had a friend that owned them so I could borrow them and check them out! :) I do have an oven bake recipe that I do make occasionally but it is not what you describe. Will have to try in a cast iron skillet -- that sounds very interesting. I cook pork tenderloins that way, and come to think of it I make Teriyaki Chicken Thighs that way too. But the chicken I've always put on a cookie sheet. It just doesn't crisp up the way honest to goodness Fried Chicken does. I feel like my kids are abused children because I don't make them Fried Chicken like we had when I was growing up! ;)

On the Sous Vide I've heard it works great with steaks! :) I met someone who uses her Sous Vide the way I use my crockpot -- that often!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We have a NuWave oven - have had it for 5 years now? It cooks everything and air fries too. We make french fries and they turn out great.

I like the fact that the NuWave does more than just air fry - we cook pizzas, chicken breasts (can cook from frozen!), turkey breasts, brats, etc.

I like to fill tortilla shells with a cheesy beef Mexican filling I make and then I brush them with oil and "fry" them up nice and crisply - then I take them off the racks, pop in a pan, cover with cheese and put that back in for just long enough to melt the cheese - SO good!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a convection oven. I do not like it. It does crisp things up but for me does cook things very well. I hardly ever use that part of my oven. I have looked at the sous vide. I think I would like one but figure I would use it for a while and then once the novelty wore off it would just take up space.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have a convection oven. I do not like it. It does crisp things up but for me does cook things very well. I hardly ever use that part of my oven. I have looked at the sous vide. I think I would like one but figure I would use it for a while and then once the novelty wore off it would just take up space.

When you use the convection setting, you're supposed to lower the temperature by 25° and reduce the cooking time, too. That's one of the selling features of it. They were originally designed for institutional kitchens and bakeries to cook things more evenly without hot spots, but it also helps conserve energy, so it began being marketed to home owners, as well. At first, they were unaffordable for most homeowners, but like all innovative items, the design has improved and the price has come down. Some people don't know about the reduced temperatures and cooking time and end up burning things, especially on the bottom. The reduced cooking time varies from 10-25%. You just have to sort of experiment to find out how long things need to cook.

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I’ll give that a try! Thanks for the information.

Reactions: missjane

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It's been a few years since this was posted. I was wondering if anyone has bought/received an air fryer since then.

I'm reading through a cookbook that has a number of recipes using the air fryer. Just doing a quick search, there are so many brands out there.

Pros or Cons?

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
I bought an air fryer a few months ago...I didnt like it as it felt it dried the food out too much....I bought the Ninja air fryer and it was expensive....Thumbs down from me.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have an air fryer. I like it for easy lunch prep/reheating. We like doing frozen fries in it. The kids use it for pizza rolls and chicken fingers/patties/nuggets. I make donuts from biscuits in it, too. Some things need a spritz of oil to aid in the crisping/browning.
I've also made zucchini in it, baked potatoes, and pork chops. All very good.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
I love my air fryer, I used it for last nights dinner and made coconut shrimp in it, no oil required, it's fast does a great job and very easy clean up. So what's not to like about them? and it is so pretty looks nice in my kit. color is perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_4917AF.JPG
    IMG_4917AF.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 3

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
All of my children have one at their house, but I don't have one, mainly because I feel it only adds to the clutter on the countertops. or creates one more item that has to have a "home." They mainly use it for cooking pre-cooked food items such as Lisa listed.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I love mine! I don’t own a microwave (I absolutely hate what they do to food) but my air fryer is just like having a mini convection oven. I use it for so many things. You do need to spritz with a little EO on certain things, and use the controls so you aren’t over baking. I love it!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have never had one, but I remember The Minimal Mom talking about them ...

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My son a d DDIL love theirs but I am still adjusting to my instant pot!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My son a d DDIL love theirs but I am still adjusting to my instant pot!
I have a Instapot and still haven’t used it lol.

I wanted an air fryer but as Jane said it adds to the clutter and where to store it. When my stove died this spring I got one with the air fryer option on the lower oven. I’ve been happy with the results except with French fries. I make fresh ones instead of frozen. I fry them in lard normally (I know not good for us but they are amazing) so I’m wondering if that’s why they aren’t as good. I mist with peanut oil when needed.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for the input. :) This is probably not the right purchase for me now. We have a very small kitchen with no countertop space. I have one shelf each for the toaster, instant pot, and mixer. The Crock Pot is sitting on the floor.

Reactions: farmerswife

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am a big fan of our Air Fryer - it is small enough that I just let it stay on the counter. My latest thing has been to make corn on the cob in it! I just cut the corn in half - spritz with olive oil cooking spray - add S&P and cook at 375 until done - it browns up just like on the grill! Very good!

I've used it to "roast" cut up veg like squash and it works great for that too! I'm leaning on it a lot more for various "healthier" recipes so we are definitely getting our money's worth out of it!

I do have a pressure cooker (diff brand than InstantPot) and I like it - but it stays in the cupboard since I don't use it as much. It is wonderful though for quickly cooking up a batch of shredded chicken breast from frozen - or making a big batch of fat free refried beans - I portion out and freeze to use as needed.

Hoping to expand my use of it for soups, stews, etc. once the weather turns colder!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
So...I did a little research. According to what I dug up, there are some new appliances that are all of these in one. I found one from Walmart's website that is an instant pot cooker, crock pot, pressure cooker, sous vide, air fryer (it said 11 functions in one) for a little over $100.

Maybe those like Mary and I could replace all those space takers with this new miracle machine!