Garden Journal

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I am making a garden journal to keep up with my flowers and plants next spring. I bought one last year that I like, except it's too small. So, I'm using one of the binders that my friend's husband brought me to make one. I may make him one, too...he has beautiful flowers.

I'm going to make forms on Word, using the basics from the purchased journal. Here's what I plan to do so far:

*Seed starting notes with type of seed, sowing date, outdoor planting date and notes
*Catalog wish list with a column for type of seed and where to buy and another for a picture clipping
*Monthly pages with things to do, notes on what's growing/blooming, and a diagram of where they are located
*Daily journal with date, weather and temperature notations
*graph paper for layout and designs
*Plant information pages with plant names, scientific names, size, purchase date, cost, supplier, whether it's an annual, perennial or bulb, light, soil and water requirements, etc.
*Future reference pages with first frost date, last frost date, what did and didn't work, what to divide and move, etc
*wildlife sighting journal
*Garden chore list
*contact information
*garden references

Anything else you can think of? I'm thinking about making some for gifts, if not for Christmas then for spring holidays and birthdays.

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I would love one of these as a present! I started a notebook a few years ago and kept notes of each part of the yard about what was planted, what did well, etc. But I lost interest, ran out of time, etc, etc, and the notebook has gone by the wayside. I wish it were in notebook form and part of my regular planning calendar. Maybe put a 2008 calendar in the notebook as well so you can see when you actually have a day to devote to yard work.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
There is an excellent seed binder at Lee Valley that I would love to pick-up! With so much work being done inside the house, I have not even started the yard!

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Oh boy, don't even ask how many binders I have. Check out Martha Stewart's website, she has a good seed starting.
Cathy

I made one of these for myself and it has been very neglected! I have a section in it with articles and pictures from magazines. Kind of a wish list. I am obsessed with having a garden shed someday and I have a couple pictures of some in there.

I couldn't keep up with mine because two summers in a row...my husband planted his seed and they have blossomed into some amazing flowers that take up much of my time. One is named Erick and one is named Meghan!! :D :D :D :D

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
:santalol: Now that made me laugh!!!!

I too want to work on my garden notebook...I started one but it just sort of fizzled......not that much of a green thumb....Maybe I will do an Garden Art Journal instead....just for fun....with pictures and inspiring thoughts and .....oh I don't know....I'll think about it in January!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
After giving this some thought, I've decided to make my own garden journal more of a backyard planner. I have several projects that I want us to complete before the 2nd annual Boo!Bash! in October, so I think I'm going to add a back yard project section. I want to make mom one for Mother's Day, and possibly my sister in law one for Christmas next year. I need to get cracking on this. I actually sort of saved this project for the cold months of January and February to give me something to look forward to!

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
One of the things I have really enjoyed doing was taking pictures every few days (okay at least once a week). It was a real eye opener to see what bloomed when and how close to other plants they bloomed. It really helped me see what was missing and during what seasonal time.

Thanks for the other ideas that I hadn't thought of yet.

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
And I was thinking it was to early to start planning my flowers. :grin: I guess not. I have a balcony not a garden and this year I am determined to use it. My next door neighbour puts moth balls out the keep the furry things away, I get a headache and they still come and dig. Any suggestions. I really don't want to waste the summer this year, it's so short here in Canada. It's nice to find some other flower crazies in the week after New Year.

Pipster

MHH Member
Dec 28, 2007
Sherwood Forest
I want to make one of these journal's!! I'm PM'd you cathy with some questions!