Getting in Shape for Christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Debbie ~ Very inspiring! Thank you for posting.

Thought I'd share some of my "mottos" in case they are helpful to anyone:

• I like everything I eat. I don't eat everything I like. (Takes will power!)
  • The first bite is the easiest one to resist. (This is especially true for me with sweets and salty things, of course.)
  • Nothing tastes as good as being thin/healthy feels. (This one I've heard but doesn't always work for me when I'm in the throws of overeating.)
  • Eat right and exercise and you will be the size and shape you were meant to be. (I posted this before.)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I try to eat smaller portions so I am not denying myself foods I like. I agree about the first few bites. They are the best so I give myself permission to have half of a dessert or a fourth. Then I can have the rest the next day. With smaller portions I give myself permission to have more once I have finished the whole meal. I also practice mindfulness about what I'm eating. I have gotten DD to do some mindfulness eating. She will mix everything on her plate together so she usually has not idea of individual tastes. I'm trying to get her to taste things separately. I love good food and new recipes so it's always a war to trim down.

I know I do stress eating. That's when I will eat chips and soda. Some days here is a 3 or 4 Dr Pepper day. lol Certainly wish it was veggies I eat when I"m stressed.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I know I do stress eating. That's when I will eat chips and soda. Some days here is a 3 or 4 Dr Pepper day. lol Certainly wish it was veggies I eat when I"m stressed.
I just don't get people who say "I'm so upset/stressed/whatever negative emotion they are feeling, I can't eat a thing!". That's exactly when I reach for anything that can be considered comfort food!

• Love
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Hi ladies. Jan of last year I did weight watchers for 4 months and did great and enjoyed it. My goal was a vacation. So since then I am still paying my monthly fee there and keeping a few of my learned habits but am putting the weight back on. I feel icky again and sadly I like junk food and fast food. Working from home I have been lazy about cooking and meal planning. I need to get back on track!
I am excited for everyone's journey.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I just don't get people who say "I'm so upset/stressed/whatever negative emotion they are feeling, I can't eat a thing!". That's exactly when I reach for anything that can be considered comfort food!
Yes those that loose weight because they are stresses. I call it crappy food for my crappy mood lol

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Whole 30 chili in the CrockPot and Whole 30 breakfast casserole in the oven. That's lunches and dinners for the week sorted! Smells divine in here.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO

Lol you're talking about me If I get too stressed/upset I have no appetite. With that being said following thread for healthier eating suggestions.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I am a stress eater too. I eat when I’m bored, which is why I’m always trying to stay busy.

Things I’ve learned about me and things that have helped me:

Portion control: If I watch how much I eat, I can eat what ever I want. When we go out I ask for a to go container. I split my meal in half and take it home. If we get dessert husband and I share it. If it’s large we take part of it home too.

Cravings: If I have a craving for something I eat it. Other wise I find my self eating everything in the house to satisfy my self. Again portion control. A hand full of chips - not the whole bag.

I eat the things I like: I decided I won’t waste calories eating things I don’t like. Again I find my self eating Everything to be satisfied. The first time we did the 10 day detox I was miserable. I followed the recipes to the letter. They were terrible to me. Not how I want to live my life. The author said his recipes were satisfying for life. Not for me!

Exercise: I hate it!! But I do it. After I am done I feel so much better physically and emotionally. It’s one thing I take the time to do for me everyday. I like the rewards of it. I can get into a cute dress, my husband comments on how I look. It’s worth taking the time everyday even though I moan and complain and detest every minute.

Setbacks: Stuff happens! There are things in life that upset our routines and eating patterns. During those times I celebrate the things I did right the rest I let go. I’m not beating my self up that I over ate when Myron and Sebastian died. I am happy I managed to get on the treadmill almost everyday. I realized that set backs are a part of my life.

Ive been back and forth with my weight pretty much my entire life. For me I realized I don’t want to do without the foods I enjoy and socialize around. It’s not realistic for me to think I’m not going to eat chips or cake etc again. I have managed fairly well the last 2 1/2 years working out and eating sensibly. I did suffer a set back this year losing our boys (emotional / stress eating) And then the virus and health issues. But I’m getting back on track.

I love reading about everyone’s journey, thoughts and ideas. I don’t feel so alone.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Great points, Amelia. The Whole 30 is super-restrictive, can't imagine doing it for life but it's my 30 day kick-start right now. One week down, this week is going to be the worst. It's like it takes two weeks for your body to adjust (especially to no sugar - I would have given my right arm for one drop of flavored syrup in my coffee yesterday!) and after those two weeks, things seem to fall into place. My chili was a bit of a bust, it really called for beans. I think I might put it in small portions in the freezer and bring it out again after the 30 days when I can add some beans!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am a stress eater too. I eat when I’m bored, which is why I’m always trying to stay busy.

Things I’ve learned about me and things that have helped me:

Portion control: If I watch how much I eat, I can eat what ever I want. When we go out I ask for a to go container. I split my meal in half and take it home. If we get dessert husband and I share it. If it’s large we take part of it home too.

Cravings: If I have a craving for something I eat it. Other wise I find my self eating everything in the house to satisfy my self. Again portion control. A hand full of chips - not the whole bag.

I eat the things I like: I decided I won’t waste calories eating things I don’t like. Again I find my self eating Everything to be satisfied. The first time we did the 10 day detox I was miserable. I followed the recipes to the letter. They were terrible to me. Not how I want to live my life. The author said his recipes were satisfying for life. Not for me!

Exercise: I hate it!! But I do it. After I am done I feel so much better physically and emotionally. It’s one thing I take the time to do for me everyday. I like the rewards of it. I can get into a cute dress, my husband comments on how I look. It’s worth taking the time everyday even though I moan and complain and detest every minute.

Setbacks: Stuff happens! There are things in life that upset our routines and eating patterns. During those times I celebrate the things I did right the rest I let go. I’m not beating my self up that I over ate when Myron and Sebastian died. I am happy I managed to get on the treadmill almost everyday. I realized that set backs are a part of my life.

Ive been back and forth with my weight pretty much my entire life. For me I realized I don’t want to do without the foods I enjoy and socialize around. It’s not realistic for me to think I’m not going to eat chips or cake etc again. I have managed fairly well the last 2 1/2 years working out and eating sensibly. I did suffer a set back this year losing our boys (emotional / stress eating) And then the virus and health issues. But I’m getting back on track.

I love reading about everyone’s journey, thoughts and ideas. I don’t feel so alone.
Which is why I MM we need each other for support. We should find a way to so a running total for pounds lost as we take this journey. May a new thread titled "I lost it".

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Which is why I MM we need each other for support. We should find a way to so a running total for pounds lost as we take this journey. May a new thread titled "I lost it".
Sounds good. I'll start one on when my 30 days are up or if someone weighs weekly and wants to start one earlier, I'll add my stats to it.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Pamela ~ I'm not familiar with Whole 30, but I do know that when you're off sugar for a while, red peppers taste like candy! They are so good.

I weigh myself daily but keep track of my Monday weights. Today I'm down 1 lb. from last Monday (when I had gained .4).

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela ~ I'm not familiar with Whole 30, but I do know that when you're off sugar for a while, red peppers taste like candy! They are so good.

I weigh myself daily but keep track of my Monday weights. Today I'm down 1 lb. from last Monday (when I had gained .4).
I think when I get close to an ideal weight, I would like to weigh myself daily to get an idea how/if my weight fluctuates. Then weekly would probably work for me.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh, that is me. Food upsets my stomach when I'm stressed. I'll try to sip on tea instead.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’m thinking once things settle here a little husband I will do the 10 day detox again with modifications. The no coffee part of the detox is not happening. I can suffer through the meal part for 10 days.
I weighed my self this evening I’m down 2 pounds from 2 weeks ago when I was at the doctors office. I’m happy with that considering I haven’t been on the treadmill.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Hate the diet...love the results. Down 10 pounds since June 15. It helps that dd and I are encouraging each other - kind of funny that we are the same weight.

Reactions: PamelaG

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I guess I'll need to lose weight too.... had lost 12 lbs at the hospital this spring but medication is making me gain more. doc says to eat less and take walks.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I guess I'll need to lose weight too.... had lost 12 lbs at the hospital this spring but medication is making me gain more. doc says to eat less and take walks.
Is there weight gain side effects to the new meds you’re taking or took? Some steroids cause weight gain.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Will we be doing weekly updates on this thread? :)