Getting in Shape for Christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Made Saturday morning my new weigh-in so it's been 1 1/2 weeks since the Whole 30 ended and I transitioned to a not so strict but not going crazy eating plan. Down 4 pounds for a total of 14.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm the same. It's been hard to get motivated to walk in the heat we've been having. However, it sure has curbed my desire to cook and be in the kitchen.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Sounds like some good results being achieved by some!

I really prefer doing my aerobic exercising indoors, especially when it's hot outside. I can do an exercise video in my family room with a fan running. At the lake where it's even hotter, we have air conditioning. There's limited space at the lake, but my videos don't really take too much space. I know it's not the exercise choice for many, but might be a good substitute when getting outside isn't the best option.

From Mayo Clinic:

• Cutting calories appears to promote weight loss more effectively than does increasing exercise.
  • The key to weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. For most people, it's possible to lower calorie intake to a greater degree than it is to burn more calories through increased exercise.
This is a great time of year to focus on healthy eating with all the wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables in season!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Here's my story.

I have lost 20 pounds since last September. No diet, no giving up anything. Just eating a bite or two less at each meal. If I'm eating tacos I will eat one without cheese. I have cheese on the others. I have discovered this was much easier than I thought and I discovered I like tacos without the cheese.

I started this after talking to my Sleep Apnea doctor at Mayo. He said no I do not have Sleep Apnea so that was good. He very gently said if I lost some weight it would help my health. He said even a pound or two would be great. No pressure to diet or give up anything. Was such a nice way of putting how to lose weight so I did it. First doctor who ever made a sensible weight loss plan. I was in full control of what I ate and what I would not eat. I did not change what I fix for meals or what sweets I eat. Just a mouthful less.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ahorsesoul ~ That's a refreshing approach! What a wise doctor. Good for you for following the advice, too!

Reactions: PamelaG

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Diedra, I have lost weight (not recently, but in the past) by doing the same thing. I would leave food on my plate, eating what I like, only smaller portions. I have some weird psycho thing that goes off in my head if I start denying myself certain foods. :eek: It's as if a monster of rebellion comes out and all I want to do is eat, and eat all the foods that are bad for me, but if I allow myself to eat whatever I want, only less of it, I'm okay. I know it sounds crazy, but there it is anyway! lol!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Diedra, I have lost weight (not recently, but in the past) by doing the same thing. I would leave food on my plate, eating what I like, only smaller portions. I have some weird psycho thing that goes off in my head if I start denying myself certain foods. :eek: It's as if a monster of rebellion comes out and all I want to do is eat, and eat all the foods that are bad for me, but if I allow myself to eat whatever I want, only less of it, I'm okay. I know it sounds crazy, but there it is anyway! lol!

Im that way too. I can eat my self out of house and home trying to satisfy myself. Much better off just eating some of what I want and be done with it.

I always ask for a to go box at the start of my meal when we go out. I put 1/2 of my meal in the box to take home when they bring my plate. That way I don’t over eat.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Down 3.4 at my weekly weigh-in this morning, 17.7 total. Several friends are intermittently fasting so I've done a little of that - I don't eat breakfast and often skip lunch so it wasn't hard to just make my main meal at dinner and I've kept that pretty clean eating. I've also been drinking at least 32 ounces of water each day - I know you're supposed to drink more but that's about all I can manage. I tried the Cold Infuse flavorings but just didn't care for them. I have a couple of Thank You Bucks, they are tokens that are given out at work as thank yous - each one buys 5 x 32 ounce bottles of water at the canteen so I have been using mine there. 16W pants are getting a little loose, might try the next size down for work on Monday.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
If you haven't heard of her before, I'd suggest looking Pahla B Fitness up on Youtube and Facebook. I've been working out with her since March and I've managed to lose 24 pounds so far. She has a bunch of videos and podcasts that are very informative. I'm currently doing the Day Weightloss Challenge which is geared towards women over 50 who have gone through menopause. I'm not there yet but it's good information anyway and it works. I work out moderately 30 minutes or less every day and stay within my allotted calories. To be honest, it's the other stuff that she does that I think have made the biggest difference for me. In her workouts, she explains why she tells us to do things the way she says. And she has a ton of mindset podcasts that have really made a difference in the way I look at food and exercise. No starvation. No eating what I don't like. And no exercising to the point of pain and exhaustion. It's something that I can stick with long-term. I'm very glad that I found her videos because they aren't painful and I honestly feel like this time, I will be successful in reaching my goals. She even says you can lose weight without exercising which is nice to hear. So I exercise for strength and flexibility. And her Facebook group is made up of some super supportive ladies. Sorry to sound like an add campaign but she's really helped me a lot in my journey so far.

It sounds like others are having great success too. Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
liltattoo ~ Thanks for sharing that great resource! I'm very interested in the YouTube videos to use when we travel. I only viewed about a minute of one video, and it appears that she doesn't use music. Is that right? That might be a big draw back for me, but I'll give it a try.

I'm also going to be trying Classical Stretch with Miranda Esmonde-White. They are on PBS. As I recall, hers may not have music either but beautiful scenery.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Liltatoo will look that up.
Miranda Esmonde-White, I used to do her excentrics workout and really liked it... but it was in a class. her dvds are expensive here ! $40 each... they are in my amazon basket... waiting for the prices to go down.

Gained 2 more pounds in the last month... doc says it's good (duh!).... she's seen weight gains much more important (20-30 lbs) with cortisone.

Trying to walk a bit at least 4-5 times a week.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Miranda Esmonde-White, I used to do her excentrics workout and really liked it... but it was in a class. her dvds are expensive here ! $40 each... they are in my amazon basket... waiting for the prices to go down.
I did purchase the video set and there are many, many different workouts to choose from on each disk. Even at $40 it looks like a good buy (if you use them ... which I haven't yet). Waiting for a sale is always a good idea. In the meantime, you may be able to use them from PBS. My plan is to do one of her workouts this morning.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I went up 2 and am back down 1 as of today. I can tell from the way my ring fit that it is water weight. I increased liquids and spending more times in bathroom.

Reactions: PamelaG

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Will try to get back on the treadmill again. My evil tooth,I hope and pray, has settled so maybe the pounding won’t bother it. Planning a modified 10 day detox ( I will not give up coffee!) with my husband as soon as I get my first crown. So hard to eat fresh veggies with just my front teeth lol. I’m not a very good squirrel.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
Ugh tooth pain, sorry for that :( Myron's Mom.
I started the New Life Promise June 7th and I've had good results with my weight loss. My last post in July, I could pull up the pants I use for measuring, but not snap or zip. Today they are up and snapped/zipped! They still feel snug and I still have a little roll over the sides but I'm feeling good about not having to do any kind of strict exercise plan, just doing normal life things and walking on the treadmill once in a while.