Getting in Shape for Christmas 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Here we go for 2021! Health and well-being in general. Do you want or need to get in shape for Christmas 2021? Tell us what you're planning and what's working for you.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I absolutely need to get in shape, just in general not only for Christmas. I'm planning on upping my water intake because right now it's almost non-existant again. I also plan on starting 21 Day Fix since I found my DVD before we moved. The workouts are about 28 minutes and a good starting point if I remember correctly. There is a person that shows modifications in the videos as well so I can start there if I need to. I'm going to start here and then just try to make better choices with eating. I'm not a diet person and can't do anything restrictive due to past history so I have to be careful. I really need a lifestyle change in my eating but i'm terrible at that as well and need a mindset shift and that is so very hard to do. It will take a lot of time on my part to enact that in my life, but i'm working on it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have to be careful because of my cholesterol too. More exercise and be more mindful of what I eat.

I think during my vacation week I'll write down goals and start anew. I was doing so well the last few years before the pandemic :(

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
After doing the sugar fast I realized how much it effected me. The energy level was so depressed when I was eating sugar. My energy and clear headedness are astounding me. I am keeping a watch on the sugar intake, and will increasing the water intake. I am always interrupted by increased water as I am in the bathroom so much. I understand it will level out eventually. DH and I eat differently and got into the habit of fending for ourselves most days. Lately, we have started planning in the morn the evening meal together.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Yes, I'm with you! There's the Covid poundage that was added to the retirement poundage that was added to the work-stress pounds. Kind of like the freshman 15 followed by the pregnancy pounds, back in the day. It ALL needs to go. I'm going to work at loosing a couple of pounds per week for the remainder of the year through healthier eating. more water, and more exercise -- walking on my own, sans pup stopping at every tree, so I can increase my pace, going back to my marching for 10 minutes a day (used to be in marching band in high school and I actually LIKED marching to a good drum cadence), and maybe following along to some Body Groove online videos, if I can find them. I used to get their promos all the time and then it abruptly stopped. If not that one, I'll look for workouts on some on Prime. Need to get my bike into the shop for repairs and a tune-up, and I want to start riding again. That will be good for seeing the fall colors.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Pam!

I need motivation and accountability so I don't throw myself too many pity parties. I use to be very good at food discipline prior to marriage. Dh and his family have no issues with cholesterol, sugar or high blood pressure which has made eating here harder. Dh can eat junk food all the time and is fine. Thus my pity parties. :rolleyes:

It's been about 4 years since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. We'd eat out four times a year if the kids had good report cards. Otherwise, we make most meals from scratch. For quick dinners, I've bought frozen nuggets, etc. We are still doing that but the meals need to be mixed up more often since I am not a fan of cooking. I'm trying to make sure we eat seasonal foods. That seems to help with the cooking blahs.

What's working for me? In the summer, ice cold water is easier to drink with a straw. A few years back I picked up a Built brand 20 oz stainless steel insulated tumbler for under $8. It works wonders for me in the summer when I'm running errands all day. The ice water stays cold and the straw lets me take a sip at a traffic light.

I do morning walks 5 days a week. More than that is a bonus. Sometimes dh goes with me. We both try to get out after dinner for a mile walk.

Small goal this week: I'm trying to add in exercises for abs and arms but that just hasn't stuck yet. I need to figure out a time and place for it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Good day to all!
I am excited for us to share our health journeys together.

In the month of May I was really on a bad road with eating out but fast food eating in particular.
Sometimes it was just because I was too tired after work to cook but the more I was eating it, the more I was craving it.

My solution is very very easily prepared dinners during the work week (baked salmon or chicken and a salad or veggies) so I have no excuse to not eat right because getting dinner together is so easy. I tend to have to play mind games with myself. LOL

My last lab reports were not great- bad cholesterol is too high, good cholesterol too low, triglycerides too high.

I really am wanting to build lasting health habits. Not just do things for a little while and stop.

Jess- I have Beach Body on Demand and was thinking about doing the 21 day fix workouts.

My work just started a 4 week team health challenge and that has helped me to get moving again. The last couple of months, haven't done much of that.

If anyone wants to jump in, we are tracking:
* Water
* Movement
* veggie servings
* and we get a mindful activity every week- this week is try something new every day

Annie

Last edited:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just posted this on the Thursday thread, but thought you all may be interested too:

@AnnieClaus and @sweetpumkinpye ....I just ordered some of these snack bars and sprinkles from Step One Foods. https://www.steponefoods.com/ They are to be used as replacements for 2 food items a day and help lower your cholesterol. I saw them on the news and thought I'd give it a try. They also aid in weight loss. I'm hoping that, taking fiber, decreasing my carbs and increasing my activity will lead to a healthier me! They are not inexpensive, but certainly less than I'd spend on meds, which I am hoping to avoid.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Does anyone remember the chewy candy appetite suppressant called AIDS (we're talking the 70s here). Good grief, what a marketing nightmare when the acronym AIDS began to be used for the disease became known. They didn't work anyway.

I'm in a wellness/healthy living FB group, similar to the chats we have here. It's also a Patreon group so I pay for the video content. I'm counting calories with the Nutracheck app - I'm lazy, not in the mood to cook for one so I can have a sandwich as long as I count the calories in each component. It's working, week two and down two more pounds for a total of 7.1.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Annie- I used to be a BB coach. I loved the 80 Day Obsession workout, it was also Autumn Calabrese.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lisa- I'll check those out! Thanks for the website!

PamelaG- I remember those! AIDS! My mom always had them!

Jess- I started "Country Heat." Mostly because I thought it sounded fun and a good way to just get going!
Autumn is also the one that does Country Heat! She is popular on there!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I need to look into changing things too. DD wedding 21st of October. I have a dress, have had it for a while. It fits but looks awful. Need to lose at least 5 kilos but am aiming for 10. I am kicking myself for not starting earlier. I am walking a few times a week, have cut out all snacks and takeout food. Cooking everything from scratch according to my meal plan. Last week did not lose any weight so need to rethink. Need to maybe look at meal plan and change it up and also look at portions.
I am not giving up as then I certainly won’t reach my goal

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Eating low-carb is what works best for me. Another few tips that work for me (when I use them):

• I try to keep finger vegies handy to nibble on (carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes ...). If they are handy, I will grab them rather than the chips or nuts. Although a few (just a few!) walnuts or almonds for protein really help if I'm feeling hungry and it's not time to eat.
  • I weigh myself daily. It does fluxuate, but I don't get any rude awakenings.
  • I find that my food choices and portions have the greatest effect on my weight.
  • Exercise is very healthy for a perosn, so fits right in for the thread topic"Getting in Shape ...", but for weight loss, I think it's mostly about what a person eats.
  • Weekly meal planning is extremely beneficial in making healthy choices.
  • DH does the grocery shopping, so no impulse buying for me. Although he does his own impulse buying (chips and other snacks), so I have to use some self control to stay out of them. It doesn't always work!
I have a few more pounds to lose (that I've re-gained), so this thread is inspiring me!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got my bloodwork back yesterday and I too am struggling with cholesterol and glucose. I did some dietary research and came of with daily minimums
Fiber 25 grams
Low carb diet 50-150 grams
Sugar 25 grams
Drinking water Exercise and Portion Control will also help.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I did some dietary research and came of with daily minimums
Fiber 25 grams
Low carb diet 50-150 grams
Sugar 25 grams
That's good to know about the sugar grams.

Here's my game plan for now:
  • I've cut back on portions again.
  • I'm taking one serving at dinner.
  • I'm drinking water before a meal so it feels like I'm fuller.
  • I am drinking water when I feel hungry between meals.
  • I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast every day. Plain yogurt is for lunch. I'll throw in fruit to sweeten the deal.
  • In a week or two, I will probably start back on my green smoothie for breakfast or lunch to switch things up.
  • I'm not eating after dinner. I'm finding if I keep my mind occupied by reading after dinner or working outside, then I don't think about food.
  • If I watch TV at night, then all of those food and drink commercials bombard my mind into thinking that I'm hungry.
  • I'm going to start back counting grams of carbs.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, thank you for sharing these hints. I am very conscious of drinking water but need to drink before meals to make me feel fuller.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was 197.5 when a doctor suggest I just think about little ways I could cut calories. No diet, no changing what I cooked and no doing away with the foods I like. Yesterday I weighed in at 160.4. Yes I have lost 37.1 pounds without a diet. Just little things. Having dessert. Great but cut it in half and give yourself permission to have it tomorrow. Do you really need two pieces of cheese on that sandwich? Try it with 1 1/2 pieces instead.

It doesn’t happen overnight but I continue to drop weight. And find ways to cut something down a little. Cut out soda a few weeks ago. Has made a lot of difference in how I feel. Now I’m drinking lemonade and not diet kind.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
You all are inspiring. :) I have been doing intermittent fasting, morning yoga/walking video on YouTube, morning Keto (Bullet) coffee, drinking more water, watching portions, and making homemade desserts so I can decrease sugar (and I am really only making some goodie for the weekend, not week day).