Getting in Shape for Christmas 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I've also allowed myself to have a smidgen of jam in my plain yogurt. That has helped to take away the sugar cravings.
This is a great idea. I have been making low joule jelly (jello)? I find that if I do need something after dinner that this hits the spot.
There is also a dessert made with jelly crystals and evaporated milk that is meant to be quite good. I have not made it but will try it very soon.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I stalled but plan to restart this week. I have a goal to reach by Sept 21 to loose 7 pounds. Hope this will make my doctor happy. Wish me unsweetened craving. I got to lower the carb intake. It seems to be the only plan that works best. I can do this!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have 700grams to lose to reach my goal weight!!! Then I will set a new goal.
I am so grateful for all the support and hints that I have gotten here....so close.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well. My monthly weigh in …. I stayed the same. Huh. Weird. Well, I didn’t gain so I guess that’s a good thing. :p

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
jampss ~ I tried the intermittent fasting for a few days. I primarily wanted the health benefits it claims, but I'd probably need to fast for longer than 16 hours. Anyway, it's not for me. It sounds like it was successful for you. Are you going to stay with it?

After not having sweets for a while, I find that colored (especially red) peppers taste like candy! I love to have some cut up for snacking.

Has anyone tried monk fruit sweetener in place of sugar for baking? I thought I had ordered some yesterday, but I guess my order didn't go through. It will have to wait till next week.

I've got about 3 lbs. to take off to get back to where I was a year ago. Then I'd like to shed about 3 more, but that may not be realistic unless I get some exercise going. I need to do the Nike thing and "Just Do It". I loved that slogan.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I STILL haven't reached my second goal, not sure why. My weight jumped up a bit and I am losing that weight again. Still got a few weeks until the wedding and I am definitely not giving up, it is just frustrating. Having said all that I am the lowest I have been for about 20 years so have to be happy with that.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Taking time to feel calm ...

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
No one waited on me either! I need to play some of that music in the afternoon while drinking my version of a London Fog though!

My weight is still up a bit. I've been trying to get back into a regular exercise routine. DH goes jogging every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so that's inspiring! I like to do video exercises. Wednesday I did a full body workout (some aerobics and weights); and Friday I did a Classical Stretch video followed by a two-mile Leslie Sansone walk.

Reactions: jampss

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Off to find a London Fog recipe.
I like sweet drinks and am not a big fan of Earl Gray tea. I use Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea (there's a regular and a caffeine free). I froth up a tablespoon (or a little more) of International Delights Vanilla coffee creamer and pour that on top of my tea. It's quite sweet. It's also very good with Constant Comment tea. I wonder how I'd like their Chai or Caramel Chai. OOO, Ahhh!

Reactions: jampss

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Has anyone tried monk fruit sweetener in place of sugar for baking? I thought I had ordered some yesterday, but I guess my order didn't go through. It will have to wait till next week.

Yes -- I use it regularly. I get it at Costco if they have it but prefer to order it online and get the powdered version. I find the powdered doesn't seem to have that metallic aftertaste. Not sure why. It's a fine balance as to too much and just right to avoid that aftertaste. But it it still my go-to. I plan to try some other sweeteners in the coming months so I have sugar free treats stocked for the holidays.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few years now and am not looking back. It has really changed my life. I kinda watch it with what I eat all year round but I get serious in the Fall and Spring -- cracking down before and after Christmas so I can just eat whatever I want during the holidays and summer.

I'm an avid follower of Dr Jason Fung, and Dr. Berg on YouTube. Love them both and think they need to win Humanitarian awards.

Just started this past week with the crackdown. So for me that means going from my summer routine of 2 Meals a Day with a glass of wine at night and ice cream with the kids on weekends, GF but sugary cookies if my daughter bakes (and she bakes often), milkshakes after hikes but Black Coffee 7 days a week to ensure I maintain at LEAST a 6 hr eating window so I don't gain a ton (I gained 7 lbs over the summer with my yummy ice cream) ... to the following from now til Dec 20 (except Halloween and Thanksgiving)::

Alternate daily fasting M, W, F -- with Mon and Wed going overnight (36 hrs) into the next morning so that I get into autophagy and my body cleans out the toxins. Black Coffee 6 days a week (Sunday is a treat since I'm being good the 6 other days), Keto Desserts only (with Monkfruit), Starchy carbs dropped to less than 4o per day, and ideally under 30 the day before an extended fast (cuz it makes it so much easier to fast with no cravings). My white rice dishes change to Cauliflower Rice. My sandwiches change from GF Bread to Chaffles. And my salad and vegetable serving become much larger.

And I become militant about my supplements to make sure my body is getting enough vitamins and minerals.

So that's kinda where I'm at right now. Still in transition. Did my first extended fast in months this week and completely broke out. Darn it. Clearly lots of junk in me and not enough water! :). Water and fasting will fix that though.

For people interested in fasting, you have to be aware it is a process. You have to build your fasting muscles and teach your body to burn its own fat. It can take several weeks to get there. Start at 3 meals a day (no snacks), then move your first meal slowly to later in the morning in 1 Hour increments til eventually you are doing brunch and dinner daily. You will be a pro in no time. And you won't look back either. :).

Oh -- and wine moves to Fri/Sat only.

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I tried the intrmittent fasting for a few days. Perhaps not the best try, but it clearly did not fit with our schedule. Obviously, there are still other eating restrictions, so I'll just continue with what I'm doing. It works for me, and I'm maintaining an "ideal" BMI, so I'll stick with it. As I said earlier, I'm trying to add back in my exercising, though, which I've let lag nearly all summer.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've been trying the intermittent fasting since I heard of it here... trying to do overnight - 12 hours... first weeks I found I was less bloated but now doesn't seem to be much change.. I guess it might be time to do longer time. thanks for all the info Cindylouwho.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I tried the intrmittent fasting for a few days. Perhaps not the best try, but it clearly did not fit with our schedule. Obviously, there are still other eating restrictions, so I'll just continue with what I'm doing. It works for me, and I'm maintaining an "ideal" BMI, so I'll stick with it. As I said earlier, I'm trying to add back in my exercising, though, which I've let lag nearly all summer.
I'm trying to get my winter exercise routine figured out also. I do have a couple exercise classes I go to each week (so I keep my posture) but I need cardio and a friend has "challenged" me to get more outdoor walks in.. Well, she's also in her 50s but she's a runner and adrenalin junkie.. I'm looking out the window. It is raining out there. So hard to get excited about that in the winter! She says I just need good gear. I'm going to sit by wood stove while I think about that. :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I seeing the doctor that told me I need to lose weight tomorrow. Have lost some but know it is not enough. Will keep trying now that I have figured out it is low carbs small meals that seem to work for me. Intermittent fasting might work too as some days when I am focused on other things missing a meal doesn't bother me. But when I do eat. . . . I eat because I am so hungry. Thus, small meals are best.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm maintaining my weight so far. The walking hasn't been happening because of the extra hurricane clean up work and the morning walk doesn't fit in with the new school schedule. We're going to try and restart the walking again this evening. I Have been getting in sit ups and stretches plus physical therapy.