Gift Card Bargains

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Just hit $200 which will become available on December 1st. If I use it wisely my groceries for December are already paid for. I can put the money either in savings or towards gift cards.
That’s where I’m at with my grocery points too. I can use mine any time but I’m saving until Dec. I’ve been making an effort to buy gift cards for us when we have planned dinners out so I can earn a few extra points. The store had bonus points this weekend on select cards but nothing we use or that would be good gifts.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Just a thought that hit me.

Maybe I should buy a few GCs to restaurants we like to eat at to use when we're Christmas shopping. Monroe is 50 miles, so no matter when we go, it's nearly impossible to not have to eat out somewhere. Do any of you ever do that?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just a thought that hit me.

Maybe I should buy a few GCs to restaurants we like to eat at to use when we're Christmas shopping. Monroe is 50 miles, so no matter when we go, it's nearly impossible to not have to eat out somewhere. Do any of you ever do that?
I generally do the shopping with Mum on a Thursday so no need to eat out. Maybe while we are out we could stop for a nice lunch some where. What I am thinking though is we could order pizza on a few of the nights when I am tired from baking or wrapping. It will be a nice treat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lori K and missjane

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Since I can use my citicard points to buy gift cards I must remember to start saving them so I can cover a few more people's presents that way.

Reactions: Lori K

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the supermarkets we go to (but not often) sells GC to the hardware warehouse that the boys use. I am not sure if I can use my rewards points for that store to buy GC. Something to look at.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Time to start using my supermarket reward dollars. I have $260 towards groceries for the month of December. If I am careful with what I buy my groceries for December should be free.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thanks or the reminder! I need to check my CC points to see if I can get some gift cards with them.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
From my post: https://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/index.php?threads/gift-card-bargains.33477/page-4#post-355925 on saving up points on various cards/apps to cash in at the end of the year.

*Our bank - DH uses throughout the year mostly getting restaurant cards for us to use - $150-$200

✅ Swagbucks $10 Walmart *PRINTED
✅ IBOTTA $25 Taco Bell *PRINTED
✅ Fetch $10 Dominoes *PRINTED
✅ Ambetter Ins. - 2 gift items (hand mixer and waffle iron)
✅ Upside $50 Walmart *PRINTED
✅ Care Credit Applebee’s 2-$25, O.G. $50, Cracker Barrel $25

Reactions: halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
jampss. Well done. I think anything is a bonus.
The $70 that it cost for the upgrade to my rewards has definitely paid for itself. I will ask DH to subscribe again for my January birthday.
We only have 3 major supermarkets here and I am in the rewards program for 2 of them. Trying to make the best of it in these tougher times

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I ended up with $280 to spend. DH and I met at the supermarket and we stocked up on meat. We got some lamb roasts and some pork roasts and a few other meats. We also got some cereal which is very expensive here. Got $115 worth of groceries and paid $5.
I also purchased a few more expensive stocking fillers for next year.
I still have $40 left but think that it can roll over and be a start for 2024.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
✅ Swagbucks $10 Walmart *PRINTED
✅ IBOTTA $25 Taco Bell *PRINTED
✅ Fetch $10 Dominoes *PRINTED
✅ Ambetter Ins. - 2 gift items (hand mixer and waffle iron)
✅ Upside $50 Walmart *PRINTED
✅ Care Credit Applebee’s 2-$25, O.G. $50, Cracker Barrel $25
Do these roll over, or expire at the end of the year? I've got some $ on Fetch, and this is my first year using it.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lori, I've never used Fetch.

I used my Sam's club money Friday night. I paid $7 for $85 worth of stuff.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that at these times of increasing prices any supermarket rewards are a bonus. I know it cost $70 to join my rewards program but it was worth every cent. I will try and do even better in 2024

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This is an area I really need to focus on in the future. Someone I crossed paths with was an expert at this. She'd go to King Soopers when they offered certain discounts on gift cards and somehow she'd score by using a credit card, getting the gift cards purchased and getting fuel points from that purchase too. I was like.....WOW!!! My head just doesn't process like that. We do have a credit card on our bank account that I get notices for to redeem points, but we've not signed up officially. I guess I need to do that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is an area I really need to focus on in the future.
We don't have coupons like you do for at the supermarket. Both our major supermarkets have half price specials every week and that is where I get all of my groceries and most of my stocking fillers. As a rewards member I get bonus points for buying certain items. If I buy these I make sure that I change my meal plan to accommodate what I have purchased. I am not an expert but do enjoy seeing where I can maximise my points.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I opted to use my credit card's Cash Back to pay down my balance on my December statement (arrived post Christmas), rather than take it on a gift card.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our grocery store now has its own Visa card tied into their rewards program. I’m having husband check into that for me. I ended up with 395$ by the end of the year. It was a big help at Christmas grocery shopping.
MM that is fabulous. What a great amount to put towards groceries.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
We don't have coupons like you do for at the supermarket. Both our major supermarkets have half price specials every week and that is where I get all of my groceries and most of my stocking fillers. As a rewards member I get bonus points for buying certain items. If I buy these I make sure that I change my meal plan to accommodate what I have purchased. I am not an expert but do enjoy seeing where I can maximise my points.
It sounds like you are good at it. If I'm honest, I've haven't shopped ads for several years now. But with the cost of things going up the last 3 years, I'm looking now and am going to try and pay more attention. Just this week I seen chicken on sale and I'm going to store I rarely go to, because it's going to be cheaper than Costco. I think I'm going to do some marinade prep and put them in the freezer ready to cook when I need them.