Gift Closet 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
There was report on the local news the other night saying Covid is still causing shortages which may affect the availability of certain gifts come this Christmas season so they suggested buying those must have items now.

I went to the store yesterday for one gift and it's sold out. It's July! It's a "right of passage" gift that I've gotten for my other dc over the years. It's never been sold out before when I bought them in October. It's going to be another interesting year for Christmas shopping.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I went to the store yesterday for one gift and it's sold out. It's July! It's a "right of passage" gift that I've gotten for my other dc over the years. It's never been sold out before when I bought them in October. It's going to be another interesting year for Christmas shopping.
Yes it is. I am making a list Gift List A and Gift List B so I can have back up gift ideas if needed. I have a side business that I can purchase gifts for the some of the ladies in the family and make a gift basket with so that eliminates some of the stress. I am also think of gift basket ideas for the guys too in case I need to go that route this year. DH and I have also been checking out some local businesses too like a shop that sells homemade soaps, lotions, etc. (My family loves their bars of soap) I have a list of other stores that I want to check out to see if I come across any potential gifts there too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I never imagined that we would be in this position for the second year running. I am hoping that things settle here very soon but am getting organised now just in case. We made it thorough Christmas 2020 well, I have no doubt we will do it again.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Our area is still devastated following our two major hurricane hits, 100 year flood and unprecedented ice storm all within an 8 month period. Our stores hardly have anything so Amazon to the rescue. Because of the massive shortages nationwide I gave the grandkids until today (7-31) to get me their wish lists for their birthdays and Christmas. My phone has been blowing up this past week. LOL So far I've been able to get everything ordered except one pair of Hey Dude loafers that my oldest grandson wanted (out of stock). He did give me an alternative so I was able to order those. Thankfully gift cards for Xbox and PlayStation are big hits with the older ones. For the adult children we gave them each gift cards to a really nice restaurant as a couples gift last year with the offer to babysit. They loved having couple time. We selected another great restaurant to get them gift cards for this year so that will be easy. Easy is great but this online stuff is just sucking the joy right out of Christmas shopping for me. Now that the big gifts are bought I guess I can focus on shopping for their stocking stuffers. I guess I need to replace all of their stockings first. LOL

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
While on vacation, I saw something we "need" but didn't' know we needed: "waterproof" phone cases. We were kayaking and had our phones/keys with us. These were clear pouches that you wear around your neck. They were supposed to be waterproof. I don't know how waterproof they are if you fall into the water, but they did the job of keeping things dry for us as we paddled. I ordered them for all of us. Now that is a first! I'm usually ordering things from October onward.

Seeing Covid numbers jumping up rapidly is making me think ahead. It served me well last year. I think I'll start looking at stocking stuffers and other things that I can buy now.
Great idea! My son is a kayaker so I’m going to check those out.

I’ve pretty much bought all the big gifts here. I’ll pull everything out the next week or so to take stock of what I have. I’m thinking Black Friday might be pretty grim this year. I know I need household things for my son yet. I’ll start getting those now based on the expiration dates. I need a major restock of the pantry and freezer too. I have used pretty much everything I bought last year.

I have one gift yet to make. Will start that this week. Over all I think we are in good shape.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Over the weekend 2 packages of Christmas gifts that I ordered were delivered and placed more money into the Christmas Club. Ordered 2 more gifts to be delivered to the store, 1 cam in and the other should be delivered there today or tomorrow so I will go pick them up later this week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got a note to say that DH hammock is at the post office so will get that tomorrow. The will be his big item but am also considering a new bbq, will think more on that.
Went to the mall today and they are clearing a lot of Winter clothes. Got a lovely long sleeved rib top for Mum. Got various soaps and bath soaks that were reduced so got a few things for DH and DD stockings. Got a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that was on clearance for $2.00 so will maybe give that to DB who enjoys puzzles.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Last week when we dropped off a b-day gift for one of our grandsons I pulled my daughter aside to discuss gift ideas for her family. The two oldest boys are very hard to buy for even for their mom so I asked about the idea of starting to get them tools. She liked that idea so I just need to watch for sales.

Picked up granddaughter gift today as she wanted some paint items. Just need to find some sort of storage container to keep the supplies in. Maybe one of those scrapbook type containers from Michael’s.

Checked out a new winners store that opened last week and found a pasta gift set of a tomato, chilli and black olive flavour olive oil and three small jars of different type of spice mix. Just need to wait now till the flavour hot chocolate mixes show up in the store to put with the pasta gift set to finish off SIL.

Part of youngest DGS has been preordered and once it comes in his gift will be completed.

Need to compare prices between Michael’s and Amazon for some soap making supplies and get them ordered or picked up for a couple more gifts.

Also need to note that when shoppers drug mart get their frying pan desserts in to grab some. Usually I grab a couple after Christmas on clearance for birthdays and found last Christmas they barely got any in so I grabbed ahead. They didn’t have any left after Christmas. They are a big hit and youngest DGD just asked when it would be her turn to get one.

Last edited:
Reactions: HouseElf and Minta

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Ordered a few small gifts for DH for Christmas and a gift for DD. Not sure if DD's gift will be for Christmas or her birthday.

There was report on the local news the other night saying Covid is still causing shortages which may affect the availability of certain gifts come this Christmas season so they suggested buying those must have items now. I am putting more money into the Christmas club too. My new side business is giving me more financial flexibility which is allowing me to start picking up more gifts now.
We are seeing that here now where certain items are still hit and miss. Took looking in seven stores around town over a week to find DH hair product. Grabbed two to be on the safe side.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Ordered a mini Keurig for my husband when he travels. The last couple times he/ we have traveled there hasn’t been one in our rooms. We usually bring k cups from home to save a little money (big coffee drinkers here).
My cousin and I have been helping each other shop. We live about 50 minutes apart so we don’t frequent the same stores. If we are on the look out for a particular item we let the other know so they can look too when they are out. We also let each other know when shopping online. We have saved a little on shipping. We aren’t always successful finding things but it does help to have an extra pair of eyes out there these days.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, my Mum and I do the same. If she is out and sees something that I might like she will text or call. Same from me, I generally know what Mum is looking for so will call her. As you say it is good to have a second pair of eyes

Reactions: HouseElf and Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My cousin and I have been helping each other shop. We live about 50 minutes apart so we don’t frequent the same stores. If we are on the look out for a particular item we let the other know so they can look too when they are out. We also let each other know when shopping online. We have saved a little on shipping. We aren’t always successful finding things but it does help to have an extra pair of eyes out there these days.
I've been doing that with my mom and then she lets her sisters know too. LOL! It's been very helpful over the years especially at Christmas. We are now doing the sharing of lists year round due to shortages. I've been looking for a particular item and it's sold out around here. My mom couldn't find it where she lives but she picked it up for me while on a road trip!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did another pick up order yesterday, straight to the gift closet and ticked off in the planner.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did a large online order yesterday, I got a dress for me for the Summer and some books for DH and DFSIL. A few other items that will be put away for Christmas. It is nearly Father's Day here and the shops have got some nice things at the moment.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The order has arrived at Mum's but cannot go and get it because of the lockdown. Will probably do another order today as there are a few more things I would like to look at.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I sent this (hopefully) amusing note to DH, DS and DDIL:

Ho, ho, ho and Mazel Tov! It’s that time of year again!

Because Hanukkah is so early this year (it is always early or late - never on time), starting the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and because there may or may not be problems with the supply chain this year, I am urging you to submit you holiday lists ASAP, especially if there is something special you want.

Lists on Amazon or e-mailed directly are both appreciated.

So far I have one time from. DDIL, some stocking stuffers from DS and, of course, nothing from DH

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Debbie, that is a good way of getting things started. I might do something similar with the kids.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I had a really hard time just buying clothes and shoes for school this Fall - so I totally see the value in trying to get ahead of the curve for this Christmas!

I just emailed my sister about it and I'll talk to DH as well. I know we wanted to buy DS a new bike and those have been COMPLETELY impossible to find locally. I guess we'll have to order one. And now that DS is older his gifts are going to start falling more into the electronics arena - which is one of those types of things that can be hit or miss I've found.

We've got this.

But the constant issue with Starbucks being out of raspberry syrup for my mocha. UNACCEPTABLE :D

Reactions: HouseElf