Gift Closet 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have picked up a few things already. I am keen to get started early so that I am ahead of the game this year.
I have been doing a lot of online shopping and have 3 or 4 deliveries expected over the next few day.

I picked up a box of 3 Lego Christmas ornaments yesterday that I will put away for DB.
I have a few stocking fillers already. I got toothbrushes for everyone last week as they were 69c each.
I got novelty Christmas sox buy 2 get one free so they will go into the closet.

I will sit with Mum tomorrow and start a list of what we may want to buy for people next year,

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This is the first year in a long time I didn’t shop 12/26. Out yesterday for the first time. Shopped bath and body works sale. Found hand soap and lotion for my son.
The gift shop at hartville had Stoney creek ( think that’s the brand) lighted nativity vases on sale. I bought one for my husband (his office), son, cousin and my husbands buddy. Earrings for my cousin and a gnome ornament with her name on it for a package decoration.
I started saving 5$ bills again ( I think someone here suggested it) for lottery tickets stocking stuffers and any other extras.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have not hit the shops yet either, a change for me. Looks like some great gifts are being purchased already.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just back from the super market.
Washing machine cleaner was half price so that gave me inspiration for a gift. I will do a cleaning bag for DD, DS and Mum. Thinking I will put in the washing machine cleaner, spray and wipe, some cleaning cloths, dish washing liquid, toilet cleaner, toilet paper....that sort of thing. If I pick things up when I do my groceries it should work OK and I think it is something that they will appreciate.

One of the ideas we will do for DH, DB and DS is an icecream basket. We will fill a basket with waffle cones, marachino cherries, sprinkles and crushed nuts and some strawberry topping. We will give an IOU for a tub of icecream. I am sure that they will all enjoy that.

It is nice to have ideas early on, gives me time to source supplies.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I shopped Hallmark's online 50% off sale and got a few things, I had put some other things in my online cart hoping to wait for 75% off but 4 of 6 items are sold old. Other than that I have not purchased anything. I did receive a Bath and Body works candle that is pretty but whose scent I do not care for so I am going to add that to my gift closet, as well. I did start my list of ideas for next year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm just collecting ideas. Since we will be moving across the ocean I don't want to purchase anything. We are going to have to do a major purge before this move and I don't want anything extra hanging around.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, very sensible of you. You also don't want to have to pack and move more than neccesary. Have you got a planner or binder where you will store all of your ideas?

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got 3 deliveries yesterday of things that I ordered online after Christmas. One item will be for DS birthday in July and a few things that he needs now for his house. The rest are items for stockings and as part of gift baskets. I got DH and DB tee shirts that are like ugly sweaters but are tee shirts as it is hot here at Christmas. They will go into their stockings. They were $2.00 each. Still have 2 deliveries to come.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have not been to a store since the week-end before Christmas. Oops, on Christmas Eve I went to Kroger's for an Amazon gift card.

Katrina, good ideal for a gift. For Jaymee I usually get her one of the Tide pens for stains in her stocking and this year I got her some color catchers for laundry and the Afresh washing machine cleaners. Cause I brought one for us here and thought I'd get her one.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana, I think the cleaning gift will be very much appreciated. If I get all the items when they are on sale it should not cost me too much but will be a big savings for the kids. I will need to look for a stain remover pen and some colour catches, a great idea.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
Lana, I think the cleaning gift will be very much appreciated. If I get all the items when they are on sale it should not cost me too much but will be a big savings for the kids. I will need to look for a stain remover pen and some colour catches, a great idea.
I am not sure if you have a Joann Fabric store near you, but I have been able to find some of the color catchers and other stain removers on sale there on occasion, and they have coupons available online and if you sign-up you get a few more throughout the year. If you don't have a Joann store maybe other fabric/craft stores do to. I like to give such things to college students/new home owners.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I never thought to get color catchers at Joann’s! I use them with all the pesky red bleeding fabrics. Might be a better deal there with a coupon than the grocery store.

My son is always thrilled to get a box of cleaning supplies for a gift. He likes practical, useful gifts.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I never thought to get color catchers at Joann’s! I use them with all the pesky red bleeding fabrics. Might be a better deal there with a coupon than the grocery store.

My son is always thrilled to get a box of cleaning supplies for a gift. He likes practical, useful gifts.
I use them too! I also have picked up the Carbona brand stain removers there in the past, one year it was a set (I think of 10 or 12) and I picked it up as a gift using a coupon. I missed browsing the aisles of a fabric store during 2020, but my local Joann store really embraced curbside and did a great job- I marveled at how fast they could fill the orders, but then I realized I wasn't there to distract them! LOL!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm getting some good ideas here. :) I have some dc who will are looking to get a place of their own in the next year or two. I think I will start making a list of things that I find useful in the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry area. I'll keep that list in the Christmas planner. I remember moving out and realizing then that there are so many things you really need to get started. All of those little things add up over time. It was a lot of money to spend in a short time so I did without until I was gifted with them or I got hand me downs.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
This year I made a "stay safe" bag for DS and DDIL with masks, hand sanitizer in different sizes, assorted wipes, etc. They said it was much appreciated.

And I did the themed food bags for them too which the enjoyed - Asian, Appetizers, Mexican, Italian, Sweets, etc.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
This year I made a "stay safe" bag for DS and DDIL with masks, hand sanitizer in different sizes, assorted wipes, etc. They said it was much appreciated.

And I did the themed food bags for them too which the enjoyed - Asian, Appetizers, Mexican, Italian, Sweets, etc.
I am intrigued! Did you include recipes for the themed food bags or had you prepared the meals? My niece had a baby in July and twice I have made some energy balls for her and some mini pancakes (in mini muffin pans) for her 2 year old- I tried to fine the easiest things she could have on hand for some easy breakfasts- but luckily the new baby is a much better sleeper and eater than the first one! LOL

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Jess, very sensible of you. You also don't want to have to pack and move more than neccesary. Have you got a planner or binder where you will store all of your ideas?
I usually just make a note on my phone, otherwise I run the risk of someone seeing it or losing it. Haha I haven't yet bought a planner for this year. I have the monthly subscription that DH got me for 3 months, but it's a new journal for each month so I don't want to put it there. I do have a fresh, clean notebook in my purse so maybe i'll use that. :)