Gift Closet 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Found some Washi tape for my daughter. Walmart always has some on clearance it seems, so I usually find a couple rolls a year and she uses it for scrapbooking.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I said I wasn't going to do any shopping in case we can travel for Christmas 2021 but I found the last four horse ornaments in a series that Sophia has been collecting since 2001 so into the gift closet they go. I was going to start buying gift cards to do the Gift Card Advent Basket since it was such a huge hit (what college student/young adult doesn't love money to spend at their favorite stores?) but I just love the holiday designs that come out closer to Christmas so I think I'll wait.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Picked up some lovely salts in a grinder. Will do DFSIL a basket full of olive oils, peppers, salts and marinades. He loves to cook so that might be a nice gift for him.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Picked up some lovely salts in a grinder. Will do DFSIL a basket full of olive oils, peppers, salts and marinades. He loves to cook so that might be a nice gift for him.
I did something similar for DS and DDIL and they really liked it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did something similar for DS and DDIL and they really liked it!
Oh that's great, can you remember what you included?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Katrina, I made 8 bags, one for each night of Hanukkah. Asian foods - Hoisin sauce, sesame oil, mirin, Italian foods - pasta, pesto, capers, jams and jellies, appetizers - crackers, cheese, Sweets, Mexican - fajita seasoning, chipotle, tacos

Those are just ideas. Basically I picked up foods that fit the categories.

I also did one with sanitizer and masks because 2020 was special.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thank you Debbie. I will keep an eye out for interesting items for the basket/bag.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My son would like those ideas since he likes to cook. There are several olive oil stores around here. I’ll have to check them out.
Added deodorant and dental floss to the gift closet for my son.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, I am leaning towards more useful things this year and I think that the cooking basket will tick the boxes. Also thinking of doing a pizza gift bag. Tomato paste, pizza cutter and tray and some pizza flour might be useful too.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
bought 2 pr of jeans a a shirt for gifts. bought hallmark christmas cards but im giving them to my friend. i have bought like 3 boxes so i have enough.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
bought 2 pr of jeans a a shirt for gifts. bought hallmark christmas cards but im giving them to my friend. i have bought like 3 boxes so i have enough.
Does your Hallmark still have Christmas merchandise for sale? Our local store has a new owner and they don't mark anything down, I don't know what they do with the Christmas merchandise that doesn't sell.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't know what they do with the Christmas merchandise that doesn't sell.
I have never heard of a shop that does not mark down their seasonal stock. You would think that they would rather sell it then have it sitting all year.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
Does your Hallmark still have Christmas merchandise for sale? Our local store has a new owner and they don't mark anything down, I don't know what they do with the Christmas merchandise that doesn't sell.
yes a few things left

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to a couple of stores yesterday and picked up a few things. At Bunnings (Home Depot) I picked up 15 basic black plastic plant pots in various sizes. I also picked up some plant labels and rooting powder, I will put these together as a gift for DH so that he can take cuttings etc. I also got him some liquid nails that he uses all the time at the farm.
I got some shampoo for DS and pain relief spray for Mum for stockings. Slowly getting a few things together.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
one of the hallmarks is closing. went and bought cards bags and tissue paper. sad to see so many are closing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did a little shopping yesterday and found a few items for in the gift closet. Got Mum's mother's day gifts squared away, she saw a pair of trousers that she liked so I got those and a new pair of shoes. I also found a pair of slippers so they will be a part of her birthday present.
Got a few more cleaning products for in the cleaning bags I am doing, pre wash stain remover and some tissues and paper towel. I will pick up a few more things over the next couple of shops with the aim of getting these finished by the end of June or so.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Ordered a game for one of my kids that they wanted. Will put that away for either birthday or Christmas.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Ordered a game for one of my kids that they wanted. Will put that away for either birthday or Christmas.
A board game or a video game? I'm always interested in board game recommendations. I bought The Genius Square last Christmas - we haven't been together to play it as a family but I've played around with it solo. It's sort of like Tetris but it's designed to be played where you come against others to see who can come up with a full board first.