Gift Closet 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Amelia. what are DH's favourite foods? Can you do a basket/hamper of his favourite foods and drinks?

GC for a movie and a dinner?

Is there anything nostalgic that he might like? I found my DH a robot toy similar to one that he had as a kid.

A subscription to a shooters magazine?

A book about day trips for around your area?

Would he enjoy a 'pamper pack"? A movie, popcorn, slippers, warm blanket etc so he can watch a movie in comfort.

Are there any electronics that need updating? I bought DH a new at home weather station last year, he loves it.

What about gardening? DH got a hammock last year. I also got him various sized plastic pots to plant seedlings in, I got him a gift card from the hardware store to buy the potting mix. I bought several different packets of seeds, tomatoes, squash, broccoli etc. You could buy a new gardening hat, or a water bottle to take outside while he is working.

Anything for the grill.? Aluminium trays for cooked foods, BBQ rubs, marinades or sauces, new tools. A light for the grill? A new apron/tea towels?

I am lucky that I find my DH relatively easy to buy for. Like you I listen to our conversations and write down things as I think of them.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I find that I have enough sox for DS's sock gift

I have a salad maker and an Asian sauce maker (jars with measurements and recipes on them) that will be the start of two food gift baskets for DS and DDIL for Hanukkah.

I also have several rather unique candles that I can earmark for the friends we spend Christmas with. And since it was such a hit this year everyone will recieve a copy of MHH cookbook Park Deux.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And since it was such a hit this year everyone will recieve a copy of MHH cookbook Park Deux.
My Mum loved her copy of MHH Cook Book part 1. I already have made a note to print off Part Deux when it is ready. It's going to be a great one.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for all the ideas! I’ll have to check into the weather station and feel him out for that.
I laughed about the gardening and grilling, soooo not his things! No green thumb at all and I couldn’t get him to even go to some grilling classes with me. But my son on the other hand might enjoy something like that. I might put together some baskets for him. The hardware store has a terrific grilling section.
Again, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Just ordered another signed Tom Clancy book for my son (they had a sale, lol). Found him a candle at BBB.

Ordered 2 fleece Columbia jackets for my husband. Not all that exciting. We keep the heat down and he wears the one he has every night fall through spring.

Ordered a hard to find Christmas movie for a movie box for a family gift. We had fun last year especially since hallmark movies was kind of a bust for us. The plan is to have one a night between thanksgiving and Christmas.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ordered a hard to find Christmas movie for a movie box for a family gift. We had fun last year especially since hallmark movies was kind of a bust for us. The plan is to have one a night between thanksgiving and Christmas.
That's a nice idea. We don't do Thanksgiving but it would be nice to do something either the weeks leading up to Christmas or the week between Christmas and New Year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The past few shops I have been concentrating on stocking fillers and items for the Easter baskets.
Got DH and DS some bacon crumble salad toppers with a use by date of May 2023 and were 1/2 price.
Got some shoe laces for DS stocking, he is always breaking shoe laces, I also bought him some black shoe polish.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Now, there's something few people seem to do anymore. We used to polish our shoes regularly.
I remember my Mum lining up all our school shoes and good shoes on newspaper every Sunday and polishing them. I can still remember the smell of the polish. My dad was in the Army so his boots were polished to a high shine.
I still clean and polish my work shoes, not weekly but at least once a month.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I had a maternal great-aunt and her DH who owned a shoe store until I was in my early twenties, so we always had good quality shoes - leather. We always polished our shoes, too. If they had white soles (Keds), we would clean them with Comet. Mama would take our shoe laces out, wash them by hand, and hang them to dry. I did the same with my children's shoes when they lived at home.

I have a funny story about DS when he was five. He had a pair of white leather tennis shoes and a pair of red canvas Converse tennis shoes, both which he had decided he didn't like anymore, but he really hated wearing the Converse ones anymore. I was a single divorced mom at the time, but (future)DH and I were dating. DS and I lived with my parents, and (future) DH was there helping my dad outside. DS had been asking about getting new shoes, but I told him he would have to wait until I got paid, and we would polish his leather shoes and clean them up so they would be okay until we could go shoe shopping. I was making cakes for a bake sale at the school where I was teaching. DS had comes and asks several time if we can polish his shoes. I tell him as soon as I finish getting the cakes in the oven, we will take care of it. He goes into the living room (I thought). About 15 minutes later, he comes in holding his leather tennis shoes behind him, smiling as big as you please! When I ask what he has, he pulls those tennis shoes out from behind his back, and as proud as he could say it, he says, "I guess we'll just have to buy me some new tennis shoes now!" He had cut a diamond shape in the top of the toe part of the shoes. Just as proudly, I said back, "I guess we will not! You'll wear those Converse ones you hate so much to school every day for the next two weeks." When I tell you there was a fight every morning....boy, oh, boy. He cried every day! And, I wanted to, too. (future)DH came in from outside. When I told him what DS did, he asked me if I spanked him. I told him that I didn't (this was the first discussion future DH and I had about my belief in how to discipline children. He came from a whipping family. I didn't - I won! lol). I told him, he's going to have to wear those tennis shoes he hates every day for two weeks. That's way more punishment than spanking him.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MissJane, Have you reminded DS of that story?
My kids always had the very best shoes that we could afford. I would scrimp in other areas to make sure that they always had the best shoes and the best school bags. At one stage I was buying cheap shoes from KMart etc and ended up having to buy 2 or 3 pairs a year as they did not last. I decided that the way to go was to buy the best that I could and they almost always outgrew their shoes before they were ruined so the extra cost was worth it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Found a few stocking fillers yesterday. Some in shower melts for DD and DDIL that were 20% off. I have been looking at them for a while but waiting until they were on sale. Got DD a cuticle oil and a nail strengthener, will add a nail file and put that together in her stocking.
Got DB some of his favourite gummy lollies that were on clearance :(, they have a long use by date so will be OK. Got myself a 4 pack of my favourite ginger beer so I will store that for later too.

Mum bought DH a great little picnic set that will be great for day trips when we retire. KMart had a lot of their Summer items heavily reduced, swimsuits for $2.00 for example.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
That's a nice idea. We don't do Thanksgiving but it would be nice to do something either the weeks leading up to Christmas or the week between Christmas and New Year.
My husband commented on how much he enjoyed it. We watch movies all the time. Was nice to have some new ones for the holidays.

The order for the hard to find movie was cancelled. So I’ve reordered again from Amazon since they finally had it. Ordered a few movies my husband wanted too. Found a cd he wanted on eBay along with a piece for his Christmas village.

Bought a bunch of non perishable items for my son at the grocery store since they had triple points. They had some good sales too. I’ve boxed up shampoo and body wash since I had boxes that were just the right size.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
While cleaning out the master closet the other day I found 2 stocking stuffers that I bought DD's bf last year but completely forgot about. :oops: When I bought them last year I didn't have an empty shoe box for his stocking stuffers so they got lost in the closet. They are now in his box for this Christmas

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
MissJane, Have you reminded DS of that story?
My kids always had the very best shoes that we could afford. I would scrimp in other areas to make sure that they always had the best shoes and the best school bags. At one stage I was buying cheap shoes from KMart etc and ended up having to buy 2 or 3 pairs a year as they did not last. I decided that the way to go was to buy the best that I could and they almost always outgrew their shoes before they were ruined so the extra cost was worth it.
Oh, Katrina! He remembers it well, and it's often a topic of conversation about having to think smarty than your kids to keep them from getting the best of you!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Got some goodies for DS and DDIL's food gift bags!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looks like everyone is doing quite well for so early in the year. It is quite satisfying to tick things off the list and to see the gift closet filling.