Gift Closet 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Shampoo for my son today. It was on sale and triple points day at the grocery store!
Found a large box of hazelnut k cups at staples for a great price for my son. They only had one box with a decent expiration date or I would have got more.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am always so interested to see what people are purchasing. DD has a coffee machine, I might look at coffee pods for her.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got some small things today for stocking fillers. Deodorant, a soap that matches a shower gel that the boys use, a body spray for DD, some ice cube bags for Mum. Will start looking at the end of Summer clearances that should start in the next few weeks and see if there are any bargains. I usually look for sunscreen and personal insect repellents that go on clearance, they will be great for stockings for this year.

I generally get most of my stocking fillers from the supermarket so I look at their catalogue every week for the best buys.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just heard on our local news this morning that many of the stores are finally getting their Christmas merchandise in, after it being held up in the shipping gridlock. Apparently, many stores are going to be putting it on the shelves and extending their Christmas clearance sales, in an effort to recapture some of that revenue. So, heads up. Keep an eye out for extended Christmas sales, with lots of additional merchandise!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, such fun. Keeps Christmas going for that bit longer. Hope that you can find some bargains.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just heard on our local news this morning that many of the stores are finally getting their Christmas merchandise in, after it being held up in the shipping gridlock. Apparently, many stores are going to be putting it on the shelves and extending their Christmas clearance sales, in an effort to recapture some of that revenue. So, heads up. Keep an eye out for extended Christmas sales, with lots of additional merchandise!
Good to know. I don't go out alot this time of year, but I may start looking around.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did pick up a Little People Princess Caste at the Thrift Store and cleaned it up yesterday. Adding it to the Frozen Castle I bought on my last trip. We have all the princesses, so we don't need the little people. I'll keep picking them up as I find pieces for my granddaughter. I can't decide if I'll give them to her in March or hold off till Christmas. I think 1 is a tad young. It does say 1.5 to 5 years. I think next Christmas she'd be the perfect age.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A little hint that I heard this week for saving for Christmas.
if your weekly or fortnightly grocery budget is for example $200 and you only spend $185 put that remaining money in an envelope to use at Christmas.
I am going to try it over the next few shops and see how I do.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Back from the department store (Walmart type called Big W). Got quite a few bits and pieces. They were starting to reduce men's shirts so I got 3 for DS that were $6 and $7 each. A nice FORD polo shirt for DH for $9. All will go away in the gift closet for either Christmas or birthdays through the year. Shampoo for DS and a tube of sunblock/insect repellent for DH that will go into stockings. Some pink hairties that will go in DD's pink box.
Chipping away slowly.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Bought more shampoo for son yesterday. Not a gift but found scotch tape 3 packs marked down for quick sale! I loaded up on it. It was the one thing I needed for wrapping.
Back to school sales are on everywhere here at the moment. A great time to stock up on all those supplies. Thanks for the reminder.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Vacuum sealer bags I ordered for my son came.
I’ve been trying to think of gifts for my husband and son besides piddly things, not a clue yet.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, what are your DHs interests and likes? Maybe we can help.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
MM, what are your DHs interests and likes? Maybe we can help.
He likes music and movies. So I’m constantly searching for dvds and cds ( Last year he got 52 movies lol). In the past I’ve bought event tickets but with Covid I’m leary doing that and there not much going on here.
He enjoys shooting (expensive!) and it’s hard to buy stuff because it’s beyond me. I’ve done gift cards in the past for that.
He doesn’t like to read. Not a golfer. Doesn’t hunt. Not a sports fan. He has every tool known to mankind.
He always gives me a list. But I like to give other things besides what is on the list. Sometimes the list will lead me to other things.
Im a good listener so I’m constantly taking notes on ideas. That’s where the idea for the trail cam came from last year.
We are also at the point in life where we have “everything” and are “trying” to down size, or we just go buy it.
Usually by now I have some kind of idea but I’ve got nothing.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Amelia - your problems sound similar to mine.

I won't buy him ammo, only reads certain magazines - no books, not big on movies, watches re-runs on TV, has "every tool known to mankind", doesn't need clothes but buys them anyway from Orvis or 5-11 (not big on my brands list). Don't know enough to buy stuff for the truck or Airstream.

Last year I resorted to underwear, socks, and flex tape.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to a BIG W and a KMart today. Lots of clearance items. got shorts for DS, 3 pair of chinos shorts for $6 each and a pair of swim shorts for $2.50. A pair of lovely striped 3/4 pants for Mum, originally $20 down to $6, I will try and find a white tee shirt and a pair of slides and make an outfit for her.
Herbal tea was half price so got some for stockings, also got a pair of socks for DH that say Greatest Dad in the galaxy for $1 so will put those away for Fathers Day. Got DD some effervescent Vitamin B in a tube (apparently good for hangovers lol). Got DS a container for milkshakes (like a protein shake jar) and I will add some milk flavouring and some malt powder so he can make milkshakes at home. Got DD a lovely vanilla cake of soap. Pleased with how the gift closet is looking so far.

The bonus was that this store was offering 5x bonus points today so ended up with another $10 on my rewards card for Christmas.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Amelia - your problems sound similar to mine.

I won't buy him ammo, only reads certain magazines - no books, not big on movies, watches re-runs on TV, has "every tool known to mankind", doesn't need clothes but buys them anyway from Orvis or 5-11 (not big on my brands list). Don't know enough to buy stuff for the truck or Airstream.

Last year I resorted to underwear, socks, and flex tape.
Lol!, good old 5-11. Husband loves that stuff. He has plenty here too.

Not sure it’s really a gift but is going in the gift closet- Michaels had Christmas 80% off. I found some pretty flowers for mom and dads grave. Mom would be thrilled I got a good deal.