Gift Giving 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm curious, (OK, nosy!) about who everyone gives gifts to each year? We have a lot of threads going about buying gifts, receiving gifts, making gifts, gift ideas, etc. but I thought it might be helpful to share your gift giving plans with everyone and if you'd like, a general idea of what types of things you look for (age ranges would be help here). This year we don't know if we will be able to give gifts in person or if things will have to be mailed depending on the COVID-19 status in December. For example, here's mine:

DH - Vic - so.hard.to.buy.for! Tools, a couple of clothing items, and anything I see him eyeing when we are out shopping.
DD - Sophia, age twenty-something - always has an Amazon Wish List going so I can get an idea of what she'd like from that. I gave up giving her things I THOUGHT she would like and stick to what I KNOW she would like. This year she has new riding boots at the top of her list.
Nephews - teenage boys - Visa gift cards - I gave up on Target or Amazon cards and just give Visa cards now - my bank doesn't charge for them and they can use them anywhere.
DSis and BIL - we don't exchange gifts although I'm thinking this year that I might get the whole family (DSis, BIL, two nephews from group above) a large LEGO set. My sister let it drop that they have been enjoying working on projects as a family. They get a lot of snow so a nice set would be a fun way to spend a few days or a week or so together.
Neighbors - retired - We're closest to two of our neighbors so I bought them each a box of chocolates last year, will probably do something similar this year.
Neighbors - family with two under-ten boys - A family down the street has adopted me while Vic is gone - they stop by every so often with homemade cookies or a loaf of bread - last year I bought a game for the boys and some candy, will also look for something similar.
Co-workers - We have a policy in place that forbids gift-giving over $10 so gave them each chocolates last year. I dropped a lot of hints to learn their favorites and they were all very touched and surprised I knew their tastes so well.

Service employees - $25 each to trash collectors, landscaping crew, hairdresser.
Mail delivery person - Last year I totally dropped the ball here when I found out that you can't give gift cards to postal employees. I knew you couldn't give cash but I didn't realize that the regulations forbid gift cards as well. I left it so long, my regular mail lady was off work, so I need to figure it out for this year. It has to be $20 or less.

That's my list, as much as I'd love to have a big family, it does make it a little easier on the budget for the holidays to have a smaller one. I know many of you draw names which is a great idea especially for adults.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Gifts for:

DH : OY!
DS: follow Amazon gift list and always socks
DDIL: would follow Amazon gift list if she updated it! Very expensive taste
MIL: whatever DSIL says she needs
DBIL - bourbon
DSIL: I figure out something each year
Niece and Nephew: gift cards
Friends we've known forever - stopped looking for the perfect gift - either food or a little something that plays to their interests - like baseball or cats
Letter carrier- a box of those delicious kirkland cookies - she hasn't refused them yet:)
Neighors - food
Hairdresser - cost of a cut and color and some food
Miscellaneous tradespeople - a cake or pie or cookies. Some have favorites they ask for each year.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My list:
DH- He usually gives me a list and I pick and choose. I also takes notes when he mentions things. Clothes, other things I see that he might like. In other words hard to buy for.

DS- in his mid 30’s. Husband gets him boy toys, what ever he has been talking about. He always gets groceries- toilet paper, all the cleaning supplies, personal care items and tons of non perishable food, Books, clothes, anything for the kitchen. Anything I see he might like. I usually make him something or get him something personal just from me.

2 cousins that I see and talk to frequently- One 63 like me, other other 73. Depends, this year a quilt, last year a collection of things I thought they would like along with things I made.

Niece- Always cash.

Hair dresser, couples mani/ pedi team, massage therapy people- sometimes gift cards, or cash or something I made. This year kitchen towel boas and a Starbucks card.

2 friends from work, one my age the other about 25 years younger- again it depends. Usually something I make along with a collection of items I thought they would like. This year a quilt.

That’s everybody.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We really just buy for our own family and our one family friends that we consider family. The only time we buy for anyone else is if we are going to see them.

DH- Hard to buy for. It's nice if he gives me a list of things to choose from like tools or bike stuff. I typically get him a new pair of slippers every year.

DS- His list is usually small and has expensive items on it for his computer so we get what we can but he knows that he will have less than the others.

DD- She usually has a nice variety on her list and is very easy to shop for. I have to reign myself in when shopping for her.

Eli- He is getting hard because he is no longer in the toy age and just wants video games and electronic type stuff and i'm trying not to get him all that stuff. He does like STEM type stuff so I focused on that last year. This year will be difficult.

Our family friends that we consider family, last year I took photos of their family while my friends parents were here visiting and I editing and chose the best ones and created a collage photo and had it professionally framed from a professional printer. They received it late but she loved it. The kids we get them each a present we think they will like, they are now 3, 10, and 14. They'll be in Missouri this year so we'll have to mail their gifts.

We may or may not send something to our parents this year. Every once in a while I do to mine, but we rarely do to DH's. We never send anything to our siblings or nieces and nephews. They don't really know us because we live so far away and don't visit often so we don't bother. They don't send to our kids either.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have very few that I buy for,

DH, I don't really have a problem with him. Books, tools, gardening, any things that will be used in our retirement at the farm such a preserving jars etc.

DS, once again quite easy, he can give my 3 or 4 ideas a day of what he would like. DVD's, books, model cars, all sorts of ideas. His taste can be a bit expensive and he flits from one idea to another so hard to keep up with him. He also gets a gift of money.

DD, she is fairly easy to buy for. Her and DFSIL do not have a lot of room in their flat so I am careful what I buy for them. Every year I do her a bag that is full of make up type things. Micellar water, mascara, lip balm, lip scrub, foundation etc. I also give them a gift of cash.

Mum, she is easy. We talk about what she might need, new towels, new bedding, if she needs to replace a large item we will chip in and get her that. I make things for her, this year covered coat hangers and I will make some kitchen boas. I do her a bag with cleaning supplies so that she doesn't need to buy them. This year I am also doing a gift of nighty, slippers, bed socks, wheat bags, puzzle book and pen.

DB, He is only a few years older than DS and they share the same likes. DVD's, gardening goods, puzzle books, books, jigsaw puzzles. I give him a small gift of cash.

Work, normally something small, this year I have made crocheted topped tea towels and will make choc dipped oreos sprinkled with crushed candy canes.

DSIL,we no longer buy gifts for each other, we go out for a family dinner and just spend time together as we are so busy through the year.

DFSIL family, something very small, some cider or cookies.

We do not traditionally give to garbage man or post man as we do not have regular people. I do not give to hairdresser or nail technician, I do write a nice card and give that at our last appointment.

ETA, we do give to the local giving tree at KMart.We pick up reasonably priced goods throughout the year and place them under the tree in early December.
We also donate to a local charity, this year we are donating care packs of socks, shampoo, deodorant, tissues, tampons and pads to a charity called Share the Dignity. We also purchase tinned goods for the libraries food drive.

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Letter carrier- a box of those delicious kirkland cookies - she hasn't refused them yet
Great idea, they are always so beautifully packaged! Do you look for her and run them out or is your mailbox big enough that you can leave them with a card?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I think the consensus is so far that DHs are so.hard.to.buy.for!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Pamela - I run after the letter carrier when I see her!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela - I run after the letter carrier when I see her!
I laid in wait for the trash collectors last Christmas - three different ones (trash, recycling, and yard waste) and caught them all! I have to remember to take the day off on the last collection day before Christmas for all three. The logistics of it all!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I haven't heard this acronym before? And what are wheat bags?
DFSIL=Dear future son in law

Wheat bags are floral fabric bags filled with wheat. You gently heat in the microwave for extra warmth or to place on a sore area, back or on the tummy for period pain etc.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-24_10-10-19.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-24_10-10-19.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 8

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So wheat bags are just like rice bags. I do have several rice bags. Love them.

Reactions: PamelaG and Lana

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Got it. I have a rice bag and a cherry pit pack - love them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
To give you an idea about sizes and prices to compare if you can find or make something comparable. I find cherry pits more malleable than rice.
Cherry season is just about here. I know what we'll be doing with the pits this year.

Here's who I typically buy for:
DH - something for his drums

DDs - young adults - clothes, experience gift, (plus a craft, book, and game for our youngest teen.)

Parents - Steaks and burgers (Individually sealed and bought frozen.)

Family gift exchange with my siblings - We do a Pollyanna aka White Elephant gift exchange. Dh's siblings have never done a gift exchange.

Service people - teachers (jams, teas, handmade soap, or handmade candle), bus drivers (small hand sanitizer, tea and cookies or coffee) mail carrier(coffee), trash/recycle crew - (hot chocolate and cookies)

Church giving tree - 7 or more gift cards for the homeless.

Toys for Tots - I'm down to one child who still wants games so I donate one game/toy.

Hostess Gift - sparkling wine

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
experience gift
The best gift! Theater tickets, a zoo or museum membership if the family has age-appropriate members, weekend getaway, love anything like that.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cherry season is just about here. I know what we'll be doing with the pits this year.
The ultimate in recycling. What a wonderful idea.