Goodbye 2020, Hello 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The end of the week brings on the New Year. We can only hope that it is a better one than the one we are saying good bye to.
I want to thank you all for a wonderful year full of weekly wonders, I have really appreciated your company.

What will the new year bring? Have you set some goals, some major projects, some small weekly to do's? I will sit down a NYE with my planner in hand and think of all the things I would like to accomplish in 2021.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Daily:
Moisturise morning,
Water throughout day,
Shower/bath at night,
Moisturise,
Brush teeth,
Lip balm,
Hand cream,
Clean kitchen and DW on before bed.
Read and sleep at reasonable time,

Weekly:
*make work lunches for Monday ( ) Tuesday ( ) try and get this done Sunday to save time
*wash hair (X)
*shave legs ( )
*washing (X)(X)
*fold washing ( )
*vacuum floors ( )
*mop floors ( )
*clean bathrooms (X)(X)
*meal plan ( )
*clean fridge ( )
*tidy pantry ( )
*tidy freezer (X)
*shopping list (fortnightly) ( ) grocery shopping (fortnightly) ( )

Fun/ Christmas prep:
*start/continue/finish one craft project ( ) Must try and be more diligent with this in 2021
*start/continue/finish one book ( ) I will try and read more this year
*books back to library if needed ( )
*pick up books ( )
*update planner (X)
*tidy gift closet (X)
*DrillDance training ( ) on break now until January

Extras:
*Put Christmas tree away (X)
*Pack away Christmas gifts (X)
*Day trip to DS's Monday (X)
*Planning Day at Mum's Wednesday (X)
*NYE here on Thursday (X)
*Set up planner with goals for 2021 (X)
*Set up new handbag (X)
*Wash and repack work bag (X)
*Plan lunch ideas for the year (X)
* to start my 5 weekly to do list again (X)
*Cull seasonal tote (X)
*Check Christmas/Birthday/Easter cards (X)
*Tidy fridge and freezers (X)

Word of the Year 2021:
Improve

Last edited:
Reactions: DecemberisComing

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
This week will be a week of reflection on the past year I think. I have a page in my Silk & Sonder journal designated for just that, but I might have to continue to another page. I will also spend time getting my January journal set up. I have some small projects that I want to work on this week to prepare for the new year. I am hopeful that this year will be better, but one can only hope and do what we can to bring about change for the better and that includes adjusting our own attitudes and expectations. I will be reflecting on that as well.
This week will also be a week of cleaning and preparing to welcome in the new year. I plan on leaving my decorations up, at least for now. That may change as the week wears on.

[X] Resubmit e-portfolio after making revisions

[ ] Reorganize Eli's room
[ ] Help DS clean and reorganize his room if he'll let me
[ ] Clean out downstairs closet
[ ] Clean out upstairs closet
[X] Clean up coffee bar area

[ ] Come up with plan for DS's studying for GED (help him stick to it)
[ ] Clean our bedroom (dust, mop, declutter, reorganize)

[X] Figure out when the kids return to school (online and face to face)
[X] [ ] [ ] C25K with DD

[X] Pick up Eli's computer
[X] Call for Ortho appointment

Last edited:
Reactions: DecemberisComing

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am hopeful that this year will be better, but one can only hope and do what we can to bring about change for the better and that includes adjusting our own attitudes and expectations. I will be reflecting on that as well.
Jess, I too am very reflective this time of year.
I am so aware of how quickly time is moving on, am I making the most of every day, month and year?

I think that is one reason that the word IMPROVE is speaking ot me so strongly. If there is to be a change then it is up to me to do it.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Weekly
  • Clean Bathrooms.
  • Pay bills
  • Make a grocery list.
  • Buy groceries.
  • Minimum maintenance
  • January Menu Planning
  • FlyLady:
    • Living Room, Entrance, Dining Room and Front Porch:
    • Dust.
    • Vacuum.
    • Dust Blinds.
    • Sweep the front porch.
    • Clean front door.
    • Wipe down wall and door jambs.
    • Dust Chandelier.
    • Wipe down dining room chairs
  • Clean up Christmas boxes and wrapping paper.
Personal
  • Word of the Year Goal(s)
  • Reading -Austen; Mystery;
  • Genealogy- Goal for year, month?
  • Walking
  • Weights
  • Water
It has been nice to do 2020 with you ladies. The chaos of the year was there but not necessarily in the home, thanks to your support. We may not have been able to control what was happening in the world but we could control how we kept up the home over all and also our attitudes.

I, too, get reflective this week. I think it is good to process what the year was like. My main goal is to find time to process this past year. What worked? What didn't work? I want to work on setting up goals based on my 2021 Word - Fulfill.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary I totally agree. I know that my list does not change too much week by week but writing it here and sharing with you all holds me accountable. I enjoy seeing what you and Jess are up to every week, so inspiring.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Goals for 2021

*Declutter and look at all the rooms in the house. Are they comfortable and working well for us? Make them cosy!

*Tidy the shed and back yard. This has not really been done since we moved here. Do we really need it all? Is there a way to store things better?

*Finish one more room at the farm.

*Deep cleaning the whole house twice this year, Autumn(March, April and May) to prepare for Winter and Spring (September, October and November) to prepare for Summer. Doing my 5 small chores a week helps maintain through the year.

*Restart some old hobbies. With retiring from DrillDance I will have a bit more time, I would like to revisit my family history and really start some crafting again.

*Try and make the most of every day (a bit lofty I know). I find that time is moving so quickly and I would like to enjoy every day.

*Make small improvements in all aspects of my life. Not great changes but improvements with my home, finances, health (got to lose weight), diet and meal planning, my relationships, Christmas prep. All of these can use a little tweaking to make the run a little smoother.

I know that we are all full of good intentions at the beginning of the year but I hope by putting it out here I may be able to achieve a few of these goals in 2021

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, I was thinking of putting my goals here for accountability. Now I will!

2021 Goals
Fulfill
my dream to:
  • Be Healthier
    • Add in abs and arm exercises 5 days a week. (Legs are 5 days a week with walking and hiking.)
    • Drink a cup or two of water before drinking coffee/tea.
    • Be more aware of foods that make me feel lousy and eat them less often.
  • Be a reader
    • Take time to read a book a month either from my home library or local library.
    • Read through the books that I have.
    • Donate books that no longer serve my need.
  • Be a family historian
    • Make a list of people I want to write about.
    • Set up a research and writing plan
      • What will be in the mini biographies?
      • Will I print them as they are written? Will I send them to family as I write them?
    • Schedule the time on the calendar to do this work.
      • Assign a day to a specific goal.
      • Do I get up early in the morning to do this or later in the evening?

What worked in 2020?
  • Slowing down
  • Being present
  • Daily walks
  • Adapting to change
  • Eating seasonal, healthy meals
  • Outdoor get togethers
What didn’t work in 2020?
  • Family vacation at the shore
  • Divisional conversations

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, great goals.
I find as I get older the goals become simpler but more important. I have added reading to my list for 2021 along with crafting and family history, gentle pursuits!
I crave for my home to be cosy and a safe haven so with being empty nesters I will work on that more this year.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I really want to work on health and de-cluttering in 2021.
Those 2 areas need the most attention from me right now.

Annie

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think it would be good if I check in here weekly with my goals. We all need a grace period at times but then it can become an excuse for not doing things. I think it will help me catch myself quicker if I notice a pattern.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I think it would be good if I check in here weekly with my goals. We all need a grace period at times but then it can become an excuse for not doing things. I think it will help me catch myself quicker if I notice a pattern.
I seem to struggle the most with weekly chores, I do okay with the daily routines, they almost seem automatic when I am on a roll. I am going to reinstitute some other routines that I had found some success with (prior to quarantine when I seemed to let most things slide), and the first routine is to have a list of "First Sunday of the Month" chores- they include changing the furnace filter, changing out my contact lenses, and prepping all of the greeting cards I need to send for the month (or at least making sure I have the cards I need). These may not apply to you, but I would love to hear if you have other chores you would like to tackle at the start of each month!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I find I struggle with daily routines and I really need to focus on self-care and health. I also need to work on purging our house for our big move! I'm not sure yet when we are scheduling household goods to come but I want all the extra, unnecessary stuff out of here well before then! I gave the kids until Sunday to get their rooms clean or we're coming in, mainly DS.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DIC, I love the idea of doing maintenance at the beginning of the month, what a great idea. I think this might help me especially as you say with prepping the greeting cards etc.

I do 5 small chores a week and they have been a real help for me. I write them in my planner at the beginning of the month and then every week complete those 5 chores. They are simple things such as.

*Tidy and wipe out vanity drawers
* Sweep front porch
*Run DW cleaner through DW
*Wipe bedroom window sills
*Empty and wipe out fridge
*Wash kitchen bins
*Tidy desk drawers
*Tidy gift closet
*Wipe interior doors etc

I add these 5 simple chores on top of my normal chores and find that doing 5 a week x 4 weeks of the month keep me on track. None of these chores take longer than 1/2 an hour but the time saved in the long run is worth it to me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really want to work on health and de-cluttering in 2021.
Those 2 areas need the most attention from me right now.
Annie, feel free to post here when you can. I find the support from fellow posters a great help in achieving our goals.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My Plan:
*to go through family pictures at least once to cull out the bad photos. As I do that I will hopefully be able to determine how I want to put them in albums.

*to sort through the screws, bolts 'n nuts, washers and nails to make it easier to find what is needed rather than DH purchasing more.

*to go through file cabinet drawers and try to it down to 1 two-drawer cabinet. I know for sure I will be putting owners manuals a 3 ring binder. The 2nd cabinet may go in the craft room.

*to go to mom's house and get stuff to bring back here. I may just load what I can into my car and then say that's all folks.

I hope to do this by the end of March. Ambitious, I know but my word of the year is conscientious and do well in getting my home in order.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
*to go through family pictures at least once to cull out the bad photos. As I do that I will hopefully be able to determine how I want to put them in albums.
Jody, I did this last year and I was glad I did. I threw out lots of duplicate photos and photos of trees and such and was left with just what I really wanted. It was one of my major goals of the year and I am glad that it is done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I hope to do this by the end of March. Ambitious, I know but my word of the year is conscientious and do well in getting my home in order.
I think it is good to put a end date on it. Sometimes there is less motivation with open-ended time frames.

I labeled the back of pictures that we had last January and February. Eventually, I think I want to divide the photos up amongst my children. A friend's mother had gone through the old family photos and made an album for each of her grown children and passed on photos to family members where they were in it. I think I'd like to do that some day.
These may not apply to you, but I would love to hear if you have other chores you would like to tackle at the start of each month!
That is an interesting way of cleaning that I never thought of doing. I use FlyLady's method of working on a different room or two for cleaning each week. This week was a multiroom clean up: Living Room, Dining Room, Entryway and Front Porch. Those take no time for me because those area are minimal maintenance areas. My once a month for these areas are dusting the chandelier, washing windows, dusting blinds, wiping down dining room chairs. (Our kitchen is too small to eat in so we eat in the dining room for all three meals.) If I don't get to it one month, then I'm fine with it. I'll get to it the following month.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My mom sorted photo once and gave each of us the pictures we were in. The problem we had with that is we didn't have pictures of each other. It will be a tough sort. I did purchase photos for my dc one year for Christmas and they went through pictures together and pull out what they wanted. They youngest was not that interested in the activity and I don't think he ever did pull pictures. I may just sort out the bad ones and let them go through them again. If nothing else getting them into an album(s) will help.