GPP 2018 - Week Three (Keep Boo'ing Away!)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Week Four - Keep Boo’ing Away Week! October 7 - October 13

• Pumpkin Planning

• If not done already, determine where you will purchase pumpkins for carving and plug it into your calendar tool of choice!

• Locate/purchase proper tools or sharpen knives

• Do you have sharpie markers or other desired items for marking patterns to cut?

• Have children choose pumpkin stencils online - purchase and/or download

• Locate or purchase pumpkin lights/Confirm you have batteries as needed

• Will you try to paint pumpkins this year? There are a ton of fun pumpkin “disguises” ideas floating around - add supplies to your list or just locate them in art supplies you already have.

• Where will you carve? Do you need plastic trash bags to cover the table surface? To cover the kids? :)

• Will you roast the seeds? Look up recipes and decide what you will try this year!
  • Costume Prep

• Continue ordering, shopping for or DIY’ing all costume related elements; NOTE: Unless you have Amazon Prime planned for an item, it would probably be safest to finish online ordering by early this week!

• Double check you have candy pails/buckets for the kids located or purchased
  • Candy Stock-up

• Purchase at least one bag of candy during normal grocery trips this week - HIDE!

• Watch for coupons online and in the paper! Continue reviewing blogs like Hip2Save for candy deals!

• Decide on and then locate or plan to purchase the container you will use to hand out candy in (if applicable) - add to budget, shopping list and calendar tool as needed!
  • Party Planning (Hosting Scenario)

• Depending on your party date, finish shopping and prep this week! If you have another week or so to go try to get as much done this week as you can! Every little bit helps!
  • Family Fun

• Is this a week you choose to attend a community event option? Or to do something fun and festive as a family at home? Have fun!

• Have you always wanted to try making caramel apples at home? Add supplies to your grocery list for this week and go for it! TIP: Roughing the apple skin lightly with sandpaper makes the coating stick better!

• Too much work? Is there somewhere locally that makes great dipped apples? Plan to surprise your loved ones with a few.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Pumpkins are something I would normally have started buying by now! Have them on my list for the grocery store this week - will plan to get 2-3 as long as they look decent! Prices seem to be high everywhere but Aldi this year but theirs didn't look so great last week!

We'll carve them while down at the campground - need to make sure we bring needed tools for that - DH has some things he brings from the garage each year to make it easier.

Costume arrived, was tried on and should work great! Have it hanging in closet but probably need to iron it a little!

Candy is pretty much done but I'll most likely pick up a bag or two at each grocery trip between now and the holiday.

Need to review recipes for the two things I'm planning to make for Halloween party we've been invited to. I think I have all ingredients.

Turned out that DH's work is hosting an event at Thistleberry Farms this Saturday - so we can go to that and our entrance and activities are free! Which is a huge piece of awesomeness! That place is not cheap! We'll skip apple picking this year and have this be our fall "event".

How is everyone else doing? Can't believe how close we are to Halloween!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Forgot to say - I finally finished Halloween decor this weekend! Got the last of outside decor up and DS was thrilled. Said we had a very spooky house! lol

Got the items I wanted to done inside as well. Added orange lights to the fall leaves/white lights and swapped out autumn things for Halloween things where it worked. Will bring the autumn things back out for Thanksgiving later.

So glad to have that done!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I still need to get a shirt. I'm hoping to find it used but no luck so far. Candy is bought. Halloween decorations need to get up this week. This weekend didn't work out.

We did our outing to the orchard on Sunday. :) We picked up a large pumpkin, apple cider, donuts and a pie. We'll carve the pumpkin closer to Halloween so it doesn't get moldy and cave in.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I purchased overstocked candy from my (now former) employer. It can't be sold due to closing for the season so I get it wholesale and employer does not have to write it off. A win win situation.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hope you finish your costumes soon, Lucie! Sounds like you are close!

Good luck on finding your shirt, Mary! You know you would see it everywhere if you didn't need it, right? lol

Nice score, Jody! That is an awesome Win-Win!

Picked up two big pumpkins and one pie pumpkin last night and have them sitting oh so pretty on the front steps!